4.0 out of 5 stars Get well naturally!
Diet fads are of no interest to me. Knowing what different foods will do to my body, however, is a subject I've loved to study and talk about. This book was marvellous because it fed my quest for more knowledge of foods, in particular fruits and vegetables.

Published on November 30, 2006 by Lyddy Joshua

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting reading
Published on January 10, 2000 by Isaac Gerstman

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting reading, January 10, 2000
Isaac Gerstman (Tel Aviv, Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heinerman New Encyclopedia of Fruits & Vegetables, Revised & Expanded Edition (Paperback)
If you're looking for nutritional information on fruits and/or vegetables than this is NOT your book. The book does contain interesting information on the healing properties of myriad fruits and vegetables but most of it is based on anecdotal information (ie a "friend") although some studies are mentioned. However I do believe that the book does make an interesting read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get well naturally!, November 30, 2006

Contained within this book is a treasury of probably hundreds of natural remedies and "health promoting uses of common fruits and vegetables". It makes a superb reference book, which I've turned to continually to find cures for warts, hair-loss and even the common cold. Almost any kind of malady is given a simple (and perhaps hard to believe!) remedy.

Heinerman has also done us the favour of making this book fun, packing it full of real-life anecdotes spiced with humour and not without authenticity. You may end up reading it just for the fun of it.

One slight unfortunate is that I found some of the remedies somewhat hard to follow. In some cases the explanation was slightly hazy regarding the exact application of the food. Nonetheless, the book remains a great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great source of information on folk medicine, November 16, 2006
TONS of useful information from around the world on using fruit and vegetables in folk medicine.

I own the oldest edition of this book, had been using it extensively for many years. My only complaint was poor indexing. I have to keep literally dozen of bookmarks,or I might have problems finding useful articles again. So - 4 stars for the old edition because of that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Must have for everyone, November 22, 2011
I personally own a copy of this book and would not be without it. It is full of in-depth descriptions of every fruit or vegetable under the sun, as well as how each can be used to treat ailments and maintain good health.
In 2000, I was diagnosed with cancer. After 6 months of treatment, I was told I had months, maybe weeks to live. I turned to an alternative treatment that relies heavily on nutrition. I won't say that regimen cured my cancer, but I am alive and well 11 years later.
To find out more about my battle with cancer and how I dealt with it, get a copy of my book here:

God Said Not Yet!: One Man's Experience With "Terminal" Cancer

3.0 out of 5 stars purchased as gift, June 10, 2013
Jeanette McLean (Hamilton Hill, W.A, AU) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my daughter, who has digestion problems and some other allergies. She found this very helpful and ordered more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Natural Healing Books, February 7, 2013
This may be one of the most important books in my natural healing library. As a matter of fact, over the past 40 years I'd collected so many books on this subject, I had to thin my collection. The Heinerman books went to the top of "My most important books" list. They are easy to read as well because he shares personal stories throughout the books.

5.0 out of 5 stars fruits and vegetables, November 14, 2011
The book is all that and a BAG OF DONUTS. The information is nutritionally informative and presents skills to all who wish to improve their diet

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!, June 24, 2014
I am impressed with this book. Great shape, easy to read and look up things.

I would have liked it a little better if they had kept all of the foods for a topic under that topic. Like, "Hot flashes", then it gives the foods that will help but the foods are all throughout the book.

Either way, it is a fabulous book to have. Wanting to go back to getting help from the foods and natural resources verses fake medicines made from plastic and artificial stuff that our bodies were not created to use, is a great find. A friend told me about this book. She lowered her cholesterol, blood sugars, sleeps much better and is losing weight ( she wanted that). Her doctor asked what she was doing to get such a clean bill of health (my lady friend is 76 years old) and told her doctor about this book. The doctor ordered it for herself. She wanted to make some changes in her life with foods and such. It is a book that is hard to keep on the shelf. Natural is better than fake. Eat to a better healthy you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome information., February 21, 2014
Just Terry (San Bruno, CA) - See all my reviews
The only problem with this book is that I loaned it to a friend with cancer and have not gotten it back. But if it helps her, it will be well worth getting another copy. This author really knows his stuff. The book is easy to read and interesting. For anyone exploring a more healthy lifestyle and better diet, this is a must have. I have some of his other books as well and they are excellent resources. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heinerman book purchase, April 20, 2013
Received book in the time specfied and in the condition promised.
The reason why i purchased this book is because I desire an organic approach to health and wellness. This book meets my needs, highly!

Heinerman New Encyclopedia of Fruits & Vegetables, Revised & Expanded Edition