Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Helen Chen's Asian Kitchen Bamboo Sushi Mat with Paddle
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Color: Bamboo|Change

on April 21, 2009
For such a low price, you simply can't go wrong. Its well-made, with a nice wooden paddle. This was exactly what I wanted for an extremely reasonable price.
on March 27, 2009
We wanted to make sushi for the Superbowl a few months ago. We live in a small town and were having trouble finding a sushi mat in the stores in our area. We found this on Amazon and had it delivered within a day or two. The quality of the product is great and the deal is hard to beat in stores. Highly recommended.
on September 13, 2011
While this sushi mat was as promised, I had assumed it would be the same size as sushi mats I've used in the past. This one was a bit smaller, making it exactly the size of the seaweed sheets I was rolling. I hoped it would be slightly bigger, making the process easier. For the price, you can't really go wrong, but if I order a second one, I'll be choosing another one that is bigger and thus more helpful in the kitchen. I would recommend you do the same.
on January 25, 2015
We wanted to make our own sushi rolls - for the first time and it was DELICIOUS!!! I like to eat as organic as possible and this it perfect. Since we have never done sushi before, I was thinking about getting one of these sets, but I am happy I did not.

This sushi mat was the only tool that we really needed to make the rolls. We always wrap it in clear plastic wrap so that it stays clean.

Here is a list of what we needed to make our own "healthy" sushi (most of it from Amazon, except the fresh stuff to fill the rolls with):
Lundberg Organic California Sushi Short White Rice
Eden Foods Organic Naturally Brewed Tamari Soy Sauce - add once the rice is boiled
Eden Foods Organic Brown Rice Vinegar -- 10 fl oz - add once the rice is boiled
THIS Helen Chen's Asian Kitchen Bamboo Sushi Mat with Paddle - use the paddle to mix the rice with the sauce and vinegar + wrap up the bamboo mat in plastic wrap
One Organic Sushi Nori Premium Roasted Organic Seaweed - 50 Sheets (4.5 oz) - put half sheet on the mat, spread rice on it
add whatever you want in your sushi roll - we add smoked salmon, cream cheese, avocado and cucumber
roll it, slice it with a sharp knife dipped in mixture of water and vinegar
Kevala Organic Toasted Sesame Seeds - to sprinkle the rolls
don't forget also soy sauce for dipping, spicy mayo (yogurt with hot chili sauce) and sticks!

Sushi rolls take some time to make - 1 hour for the rice, then some time for the rice to cool down and then about 20 mins to make the rolls. Once the rice is done and cooled down, it is fun to sit together at the table and prepare the rolls. It is a great activity for a date night. Plus the result is extremely delicious!!!
on February 17, 2015
I have tried making sushi in the past without any success. I've watched youtube videos saying you didn't really have to have a mat... Well, this set was so cheap, I figured it was worth it just to see if that would help me. Yes! I am now able to roll sushi. So much money saved making it at home.
on July 30, 2013
I was hesitant to buy this because of the cheap price, but it's really just as good as it's advertised. It arrived folded in a small package covered in Japanese kanji, but hey, who needs to read what it says anyway? It's a sushi mat.

The mat itself is sturdy but flexible, and I can tell it will last a long time. I had never rolled sushi before in my life but was able to get a near-perfect roll the first time thanks to the mat (and a few helpful YouTube videos).

The paddle is simple plastic but is strong. I used it to both stir my rice to fluff it and prevent and mushing the rice (and to avoid scratching a non-stick rice maker pot), and to flatten the rice down over the nori when preparing my roll.

Fold some plastic wrap over the mat before you use it. It will keep the rice off of the mat so you don't have to clean it, and help the rice not to stick. Then when you're done just throw away the plastic and your mat won't need to be cleaned.
on February 8, 2015
I make sushi every week, and I am not a great cook, but this mat is the secret to homemade sushi! So easy to use, just leave a few inches in one side of the seaweed without rice, and roll your sushi tightly toward that end (fresh rice works best)
on November 8, 2012
We got this as we decided to learn how to make our own vegetarian sushi. This mat makes a big difference and fits most seaweed rolls you will find in the store - it is a little small looking but in fact it works just great - trust me, if you are going to make your own sushi, you need this mat or at least one like it. It is sturdy and cleans well. Also, the paddle is very useful when cooking the rice and putting it on the seaweed to make the rolls.
on June 3, 2014
It is really easy to make Calfornia rolls. I make them with my version. Brown rice. Cooked salmon, etc. A much healthier version than the store bought one. This is the reason I bought this little mat. So that I could do my version.
on February 3, 2014
What great two items for the very little price!

It is made of real, nice, bamboo and it does the job... Well, the skills to make Sushi? That is another story!

The product is very nice!

See 1 answered question