4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, January 12, 2003
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Helen Keller (In Their Own Words) (Paperback)
I re-read this book a few nights ago and although it is not a story-tale fiction book like I ussually read it is still very enjoyable and extremly educational. It teaches you the amazing story of a girl named Helen Keller who lost her ability to see and hear at a very young age. It takes you through her life during which she accomplishes so many spectacular things and conquers challenges that no one thought she could. She stars in a movie, she learns to read and write and she goes through college and becomes an honor student and all along the way she is guided by her loyal friend Anne Sullivan. I ussually dont read biographys but I'm glad I picked this one up! I encourage you to read it because it makes you realize that even though someone like Helen Keller cant see or hear, it makes them no different than other people and they are perfectly capable of accomplishing anything as long as they set their mind to it. This book is very inspiring and it really makes you realize what a remarkable person Helen Keller was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review: Helen Keller - Her Life in Pictures, December 9, 2007
In my eyes, most biographies fall into one of two camps. There are biographies (such as the recent and outstanding Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow) that seek to tackle their subject from a unique angle. This is a technique that I am all in favor of - inventiveness is a good thing, yes? Then you have your biographies that set out to plainly and tastefully bring forth the extraordinary accomplishments of a person. In my opinion, this style can be just as difficult to pull off successfully. "Helen Keller: Her Life in Pictures" falls into the latter category. A richly visual work about a woman who triumphed despite being robbed of her hearing and sight.

The story of Helen Keller's life is well known. Born in 1880 in Alabama, Keller lost her sense of sight and hearing as a two year old. With the help of her teacher, Annie Sullivan, Helen learned to communicate with others. In the words of the author,

"Helen Keller holds a special place among American heroes. No one else is quite like her. She could not hear. She could not see. When she spoke, she could barely be understood. Yet she learned to live and express her thoughts and feelings in a world of sight and sound."

The book is subtitled "Her Life in Pictures" for very good reason. Nearly every page contains a photograph that provides additional insight into Keller's life. The accompanying words are straightforward, allowing access to a wide range of readers. Well done all around. A quality nonfiction selection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent photographic non-fiction, March 12, 2008
As the title suggests, this book is very much about the pictures. A number of them are uncommon, and a fair handful of those were new to me. (Woo-hoo!) The book is well designed with nifty Braille motifs throughout, and the reproduction of the photos is very high quality. The text, in the form of long captions, is rather basic, both in terms of style and content. The captions are interesting and Sullivan did point out a few little-known facts - that Helen's eyes were removed and replaced with glass ones, for example - but in my typically nerdy way, I found myself wishing that the photos had all been dated.

Overall, it's a lovely book to look at, and will probably work equally well as either an introduction to or a supplement for those with a prior knowledge of Helen Keller. I'm pleased to add it to my personal collection, and I'm awfully persnickety.

(For those in search of a good traditional children's biography of Helen Keller, I'd recommend starting with Sullivan's previous work, Helen Keller (In Their Own Words).)

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT ADDITION TO A WONDEFUL SERIES, September 28, 2006
This review is from: Helen Keller (In Their Own Words) (Paperback)
As with the other books in the series "In Their Own Words," the author has given us another great good and useful book for young women and men. The Keller story is in itself, quite inspirational and Mr Sullivan has been able to capture this spirit quite well. The constant use of quotes allows the reader to feel they are getting the facts right from the source and not from some dry accedemic source. The black and white photos are used quite effectively. The book holds the reader's interest and along with inspiring the reader, he or she actually learns something. Highly recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A more intimate portrait of Keller and her worl, December 3, 2007
Plenty of books - even picturebooks - have captured Helen Keller's life; but this one comes with a twist - it's her life in pictures. Black and white photos of Keller and her family and friends pack in a different, visual approach to her biography. Most of her books pepper in some photos: by having this picturebook based on images, kids receive a more intimate portrait of Keller and her world and will find her life and achievements easier to digest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reading, Fun, and Motivating for Kids., April 9, 2009
Mr. Math Expert (Somewhere in New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Helen Keller (In Their Own Words) (Paperback)
I have read Helen Keller's The Story of My Life, and I spotted In Their Own Words: Helen Keller on a bookshelf in a middle school class. When I was reading it, I became engrossed to the book and enjoyed it. There is more information in In Their Own Words: Helen Keller not covered in the autobiography plus additional details about Helen Keller in the extended period of her life because The Story of My Life ended when she was 22-23 years old. I thought the details to be interesting and highly informative although it's a book for the kids. In Their Own Words: Helen Keller also provides a good leap from this book to a professional biography of Helen Keller's life. Another best part of the book is that there are many pictures contained, and I liked them. The print is simple, and the pages are short (only 125 pages) and can be read in a few hours. All in all, I recommend In Their Own Words: Helen Keller after finished reading The Story of My Life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, May 9, 2013
I ordered this for my 7 yr grandaughter Cleo who is a second grader. She really liked it. She had to write a report on Helen Keller.
She got a grade of A+. So I think it is a great book, just like my grandaughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect preset, April 8, 2013
I purchased this for my grandchild to read for a school
project. How she loved this book. I read it as well because
she'd say, " did you know, blah ,blah", and I didn't. Very
informative read for he both of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!!, February 6, 2013
Any books with facts and information on Helen Kellers life and with those who were close to her is a great read!! A++book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, February 6, 2013
This review is from: Helen Keller (In Their Own Words) (Paperback)
Any and all history of the life of Helen Keller is of great interest especially when you find fact and tidbits that may not have been know of her and her life with others...very interesting and enticing!

Helen Keller (In Their Own Words)
Helen Keller (In Their Own Words) by George Sullivan (Paperback - January 1, 2002)
Used & New from: $0.01