5.0 out of 5 stars a great simple stir fry book.
Published on April 25, 2009 by Peter

3.0 out of 5 stars Simples, but with one major flaw
Great, easy recipes inside. But it has one major flaw with the two recipes I've tried thus far(chicken with brocolli/bamboo shoots & pork with asaparagus) - the recipes call for waaay too much sauce/liquid. In the end, the vegetables end up soggy because of it. IMO, cutting the hoisin/soy sauce portions by half would solve the problem.
Published on March 8, 2012 by Jrock82

5.0 out of 5 stars a great simple stir fry book., April 25, 2009
This review is from: Helen's Asian Kitchen: Easy Chinese Stir-Fries (Hardcover)
I own Helen Chen's larger cookbook, "Helen Chen's Chinese Home Cooking" and consider it one of the best Chinese cook books a person could have. Many of the recipes in it have been favorites of mine, and some of the easier ones are duplicated in this slender new volume of stir fries. For the beginning cook, this book may be less daunting. From it, I've now cooked "Garlicky Green Beans"-quite tasty, "Shrimp in Tomato Sauce"-delicious, "Kung Pao Chicken"-yummy and fiery, and ""Kan Shao Green Beans"- stellar. Obviously, I am looking forward to woking my way through the remainder of its pages. I own many other books on Chinese food and cooking, but I can think of few of them as uncomplicated as this which manage to produce such deep, rich, tasty sauces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Both fabulously easy and fabulously interesting, October 6, 2009
This review is from: Helen's Asian Kitchen: Easy Chinese Stir-Fries (Hardcover)
This is one of the best Chinese cookbooks I have and I have at least thirty. It's simple fare but not boring. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow. Very creative meals. Chen really knows how to put a cookbook together.

4.0 out of 5 stars The dishes taste like the restaurant's, December 17, 2009
Erika T. (Torrance, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Helen's Asian Kitchen: Easy Chinese Stir-Fries (Hardcover)
The chicken with snow peas and the broccoli beef turn out excellent. I own another chinese cookbook and I was always disappointed at the results. The recipes on this cookbook are simple, but very tasty. There is no need to prepare a cornstarch paste in advance. I just need to get a few other ingredients to be able to try the other recipes. I look forward to doing that. My husband and I already think the book was worth buying. The only problem I see is that the book lacks pictures of all the recipes. I'd like to see what the dishes look like so that I can compare them to mine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy is right - very well written, August 2, 2010
J. Swartz (Oakland, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Helen's Asian Kitchen: Easy Chinese Stir-Fries (Hardcover)
You can't go wrong with these recipes - these mostly-cantonese dishes are superb, with accurate full page color photos and clear instructions with ingredients you can find at any asian market. I don't fancy the sweetness of Chinese/American dishes and have improved the recipes by adding less sugar (especially in recipes that already have hoisin or dark soy sauces), but either way the dishes have worked out great. Her attention to generating just the right amount of sauce / gravy for the dishes adds a restaurant touch and improves their display, something that other cookbooks often don't get right.

3.0 out of 5 stars Simples, but with one major flaw, March 8, 2012
Jrock82 (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic wok cookbook, February 2, 2011
Buciumeana (Roseville, MN, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Helen's Asian Kitchen: Easy Chinese Stir-Fries (Hardcover)
Nothing fancy in this book, but the ingredients are easily obtainable and there are several recipes I'd make again. I do prefer my old Jean Yueh cookbook, which is out of print (1979).

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, great recipes., August 23, 2012
This review is from: Helen's Asian Kitchen: Easy Chinese Stir-Fries (Hardcover)
I've made nine recipes from this book, a first for me and my family. Every recipe has been enjoyed at our table. My family's only complaint---they like more sauce--so I double the ingredients for the sauce.

4.0 out of 5 stars easy chinese stir-fries, January 16, 2012
This review is from: Helen's Asian Kitchen: Easy Chinese Stir-Fries (Hardcover)
I bought this as a gift to my grand daughter, she is enjoying it very much as is her Mother. They have used it often.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just ok., April 13, 2012
This review is from: Helen's Asian Kitchen: Easy Chinese Stir-Fries (Hardcover)
I love to cook oriental food. I have several cookbooks and often find new recipes on the internet. I had high hopes for this book. The author's Chinese background and the many illustrations made me think this might be a new favorite. Unfortunately, the recipes lack flavor and are very similar- meat, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and cooking wine. I have made 5-6 of the recipes so far and not one of them stood out as outstanding. My family thought they were "ok" but none made the "have to make again" list.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT SO EASY, INTERESTING READ, November 6, 2011
This review is from: Helen's Asian Kitchen: Easy Chinese Stir-Fries (Hardcover)
I have rarely seen a cook book I didn't like to read and this one is no exception.

These recipes seem very authenic but not adaptable to my lifestyle. I like stir-fry because it is fast and delicious and I just see what is in the fridge and start chopping. I am not familiar with some of the ingredients and would have to make a shopping trip to cook most of the recipes.

I would like to try some of these dishes in a nice resturant. Lazy? Little bit!

Helen's Asian Kitchen: Easy Chinese Stir-Fries
Helen's Asian Kitchen: Easy Chinese Stir-Fries by Helen Chen (Hardcover - March 27, 2009)
$17.95 $14.45