5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Album From An Amazing Group

3.0 out of 5 stars Great music...annoying fans
Published on April 30, 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Album From An Amazing Group, May 30, 2000
This review is from: Hell Freezes Over (Audio CD)
"For the record, we never broke up..." those seven words start out the concert portion of this album and from the music, it's almost believeable. One of the 1970's most famed rock groups, who broke up over disputes and promised not to reunite until Hell Froze Over, have come back together for their reunion concert and it's amazing. It's a stripped down, more intimate show than their first live album, but that's one thing that makes it so amazing. They have nothing but their instruments to make them sound good. And they sound awesome.
The standouts on the album include "The Last Resort," which is possibly the best song, "Life In the Fast Lane," and a chilling version of "Desperado." But let's not forget the most famous song from the album...a stripped down and amazing version of "Hotel California," which far surpasses the original.
The four songs at the beginning, which are new studio recordings(but are shown live on the video version) should be satisfying enough for anyone. They range from hard rocking to original Eagles country-rock.
Overall, this is THE must have CD for any Eagles fan...heck, for ANY MUSIC fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Nirvana -- Great "System Test" CD, March 4, 2001
Randy Given (Manchester, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hell Freezes Over (Audio CD)
This recording is one of the best pop recordings available on CD. When analyzing high-end audio equipment, this is one of a handful that I absolutely must audition with.
Clear, tight, dynamic, you name it. Listen to the beginning of track 6, "Hotel California", especially right after 32 seconds into the track. If you have a really good system, you will probably get your hairs to stand on end.
Oh, the music itself? First class, of course. The best songs of the Eagles and all sound nice. My favorite is "Pretty Maids All In A Row" with "New York Minute" and "The Last Resort" just behind it. Of course, "Hotel California" sounds great, almost better than the original recording.
This album MUST be in your collection if you like popular music or even classic rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eagles Comeback, November 21, 2000
This review is from: Hell Freezes Over (Audio CD)
In an interview shortly after the Eagles had official ceased being a band, Don Henley was asked when the band might possibly play together again and his response was "when hell freezes over". That quote provided the name for the 1994 reunion tour & this live album that was recorded for an MTV special. Even though it had been about 14 years since they last played together, you would never know it. Their playing is crisp and their harmonies are picture perfect. Instead of playing it safe, the band mixes things up right away by playing an all-acoustic version of their rock classic "Hotel California". The song opens practically unrecognizable with a Spanish sounding guitar fill before sliding into the familiar opening riff. The drums are replaced by congas and instead of the dueling electric guitars, Don Felder & Joe Walsh trade acoustic licks off of Mr. Felder's 6-string and Mr. Walsh's 12-string. Instead of changing a song for change's sake, they breath-takingly deconstruct an all-to-familiar tune. The rest of the live tracks are not nearly as ambitious, but they are played with a lot of verve and you can tell the band is really enjoying themselves. Other standout tracks include a beautiful "I Can't Tell You Why", a majestic "The Last Resort" and a raucous "Life In The Fast Lane". The four new studio tracks that open the album are solid, but not necessarily outstanding. "Get Over It" is good rocker with typical Eagles stinging criticism, "Love Will Keep Us Alive" has a nice Timothy B. Schmidt vocal, "The Girl From Yesterday" touches on their country roots and "Learn To be Still" sounds like it was a leftover from Mr. Henley's The End Of The Innocence album. The new tracks are basically just an appetizer for the main course of the concert tracks. Some people may have doubted them, but the Eagles showed they could still soar above most bands with this album and playing together for them is just like riding bike, you never forget how to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Live Album Comprising Old And New Hits!, January 17, 2004
Barron Laycock "Labradorman" (Temple, New Hampshire United States) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hell Freezes Over (Audio CD)
This superb live album was the event of the year when it was released, based more on the fact that the individual members of the former super-group had likened their chances to reforming as a group was as likely as the title. Well, all things are possible to those who wait, and our wait has been rewarded with a richly textured and memorable effort that covers many of their best previous songs as well as several new ones. Thus we trip from "Tequila Sunrise" to "Hotel California", from "New York Minute" to "Desperado", and from "Take It Easy" to "Life In The Fast Lane". The simple fact that they are out there creating and working together gives one hope for future works, and given other recent efforts like "A Hole In The Sky", it appears they are again gathering and recording. Hope we don't have to wait for Hell to freeze over again. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don, Glenn, Joe, Tim, & Don, 'nuff said!, March 31, 2002
"bb1975" (Jasper, Alabama United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hell Freezes Over (Audio CD)
I'm not sure that I can say anything that the other 69 people haven't already said about this 15 song work of art. Just an unbelievable live album, probably the best live recording ever. These songs really need no introduction, because they're such well known classics. 'Tequila Sunrise', 'Hotel California', Take It Easy', 'Life In The Fast Lane' and 'Desperado' are 5 superb classics played to absolute perfection. The 11 live songs on this album sound as good as a studio recording,(they're that great). 'Wasted Time' and 'I Can't Tell You Why' are a couple more of my fav songs on here. There are 4 newly recorded studio tracks on here: 'Get Over It', which has a cool guitar- intro, and Don Henley ripping it up on vocals. 'Love Will Keep Us Alive' is one of the most beautiful ballads of all time, and a true instant Eagles classic. 'The Girl From Yesterday'(G. Frey) and 'Learn To Be Still'(D. Henley) are both grade-A musical perfection. I can't recommend this one enough, it is truly enjoyable to listen to time after time. If you don't have it, you know what to do. ROCK ON!

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 STARS!, February 29, 2000
frisky2000 (Forever Summer) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hell Freezes Over (Audio CD)
I waited half my life for this band to reunite -- they finally did it, and in a BIG WAY, playing to sold out concerts halls in the early nineties.
HELL FREEZES OVER gives us all what we expected from one of the music world's best known, most played and dearly loved bands. The Eagles' songs defined growing up for many of us, and you will easily remember the words to all the songs on this great cd. The live version of HOTEL CALIFORNIA brings their instrumental talent to center stage, and even their new release, LOVE WILL KEEP US ALIVE, became a hit once people became excited about the reunion.
If you've loved the Eagles since their Hotel California days, then this CD is a must have. And if you never gave them a listen, get this collection as a great starting point!

5.0 out of 5 stars The album that proved they'll be there forever., July 2, 2001
Themis-Athena (from somewhere between California and Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hell Freezes Over (Audio CD)
I became an Eagles fan when I was barely a teenager; and re-replaying their studio albums countless times on my cheap little turntable, how would I have wished to be able to see them in concert. But I was living in Germany and they were far away in California; and their tours didn't always include Europe, let alone my little corner of it. What was worse, my mother, horrified by TV pictures of fans being trampled to death at rock concerts, had imposed a strict ban on any such undertaking. When
the ban was finally lifted, the Eagles had split. I was dead certain I'd missed the chance to see them live forever.

Then came 1994, the year that Hell Froze Over. To say that I was thrilled is an understatement. I snatched up their new live album the instant I had heard about it. (Oh my God! A new album, and live, too!) Ok, so it only had four new tracks recorded in the studio. But that was understandable; they were going on tour and put more emphasis on rehearsal than on the recording of new songs. And what killers those new songs were - right up there with the best of their work. In addition, the album had almost all my favorite Eagles tunes ... or almost all those of my favorites that I knew they'd done live before, anyway. "Hotel California" in particular blew me away. This had always been the quintessential Eagles song to me; the song that got me hooked on their music in the first place and that best expressed all that they stood for. And now I was to have yet another version of that song, as great as the one on the "Eagles Live" album and as the original studio version; acoustic this time, with a beautiful new intro. But not only "Hotel California" - every song sounded as great on this album as any of their studio releases and the 1980 "Live" compilation ... or greater, if that was possible, not only because of the crystal clear quality of the recording but also because greater maturity, if anything, had even added to their live performance. No need to prove anything any longer; they had created something that people would always love, and they knew it. (Glenn Frey later wrote, in the booklet accompanying the Eagles' 2000 "Selected Works" collection, that they extended the "Hell Freezes Over" tour to a full two years not only because they had so much fun playing together but also because they themselves realized that they sounded better than they ever had in the 1970s.) Especially Don Henley's rendition of "The Last Resort" stands out in my mind to this day: it was as emotional as he'll ever get - and this was not the twenty-something who had written the song years ago; this was the guy who, in the years since then, had founded the Walden Woods Project and set out on a little crusade of his own to save the land once walked by Henry David Thoreau. If you can't hear it in his voice, watch the video and you'll understand.

It took me some time to be able to acknowledge the humor in Henley's opening remark that they had "never split; [we] just took a fourteen year vacation..." (What exactly is that supposed to mean, buddy, I thought - I have been grieving for fourteen years, for crying out loud!) But eventually I decided that if they can make light of it, who am I to complain. The main thing was that they were back together ... finally. I had to wait another two years to be able to realize my dream of seeing them live, but the memory of that rather chilly summer night will be impressed in my memory forever. Listening to "Hell Freezes Over" always brings back that particular evening in Berlin, although I have since seen both the Eagles and Don Henley solo in concert a number of times (it of course also helps tremendously to have moved to a place better situated geographically to make that possible).

"Got back together with my friends the Eagles," Don Henley joked during his performance of "Funky New Year" at the Millennium Concert ... "did a few shows, broke up, got back together, broke up, got back together, broke up, got back together..." And Glenn Frey wrote, in the booklet accompanying the "Selected Works" compilation which contains the Millennium Concert CD, that while at the end of the "Hell Freezes Over" tour they thought that "[t]he Eagles saga would now have a happy ending" and "the final chapter written, [we] could all move on," he wasn't sure exactly what was going to happen next: "The stars could be doing a number again right now and, as always, I'd be the last one to know. ... We had the last part of a millennium to get our act down, and a whole new thousand years just opened up. You never know how things can go ... I'll just keep my eyes on the stars ..."

Well, Glenn, I guess Hell did Freeze Over for good, and the stars did do another number. You guys are touring again as I write this (ironically in Europe, now that I'm living in California); not quite in the formation that once got me hooked on your music, but you're still there. And while "Hell Freezes Over" will always have a special place in my heart, I'm sure I'll see you live again some day, and maybe there will even be another Eagles album. With this band, I will never rule out anything - ever again.

Also recommended:
The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Selected Works: 1972-1999
Hotel California
Long Road Out of Eden Deluxe Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Album of the 90's...Hands Down, May 29, 2000
This review is from: Hell Freezes Over (Audio CD)
The Eagles, one of the most famed bands of the 70s, and perhaps ever, did an awful thing to music by breaking up and promising they would not reunite til Hell Froze Over.
This album is truly the best of the 90's. Forget Nevermind by Nirvana, no one should be without this right here. Don Henley's voice has become stronger since the days and Glenn Frye is still amazing in all he does. "Hotel California," is amazing on this album, but I believe the standout is "The Last Resort." The song is Henley's time to shine and I think he shines on it more than his big hit, "Desperado."
"New York Minute," "Take It Easy," "Life In The Fast Lane," and "I Can't Tell You Why," are all amazing on this album and sound great with a much more mature and obviously much more SOBER eagles.
This is a perfect CD with no flaws and nothing they should be ashamed of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get the DVD too!, December 5, 2003
This review is from: Hell Freezes Over (Audio CD)
The 4 stars are for the CD, 5 stars for the DVD.
Oooooo I felt compelled to write after reading the first few abject comments! (please forgive me if I repeat others, as I have only read a few reviews)
I bought the album a few years ago (after seeing the concert on VH1) and it is one of my all time faviorites, and have yet to tire of it.
To put it simply.......if you consider yourself to be an audiophile I cannot see why you would not rate the album as stunning.
These guy's musicianship is AWESOME ... and deserve our unreserved respect. This album is true music, but even better is the DVD.........
Now that is really stunning!
All the old faviorites are there and performed, in my view better when heard live.
The extra tracks include, Help Me Through The Night (Joe Walsh).
Beautiful ballad (if you don't like ballads, you won't like the album).
The Heart Of The Matter (my faviorite along with The Last Resort)
sung and co written by Don Henley is gorgeous and shows the band's wonderful voices and how they all blend together beautifully.
Awwwwwww bands just don't come like these any more!
I unreservedly recommend the DVD as a classic. In fact, that disc (on it's own) convinced me to invest a considerable amount of money on a home cinema set up and it was well worth it.
Hey, get them both..............brilliant!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great music...annoying fans, April 30, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Hell Freezes Over (Audio CD)
This recording must have went straight from the concert hall to the record store bins. There are some annoying fans (especially this one woman) who constantly keeps screaming at the top of her lungs. It's as though she knew they were recording AND had to make herself known. Thanks for screwing up some great music. We all know how acoustic the Eagles sound, then add this and it just messes up a perfectly sounding disc. At least they (Eagles) sound in top form and it feels as though they never broke up.

Hell Freezes Over
Hell Freezes Over by Eagles (Audio CD - 1994)