Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 15, 2011
Bad Meets Evil has been on hiatus for the better part of a decade, but you would never know it by listening to this E.P. Each track, with the exception of "Lighters," features complex, blistering, back-and-forth rhymes delivered by two incredibly skilled veterans of the rap game. Eminem is held by many to be the Greatest of All Time (GOAT) to ever rock the mic while Royce da 5'9" is never mentioned in debates about who the GOAT is; he is almost never mentioned in anyone's top 5, top 10, or top 25. Nevertheless, he holds his own with Eminem despite the disparity in their skill levels. There is probably no other rapper in the game who could do so, verse for verse, bar for bar, on almost a dozen songs. Few rappers could avoid being "murdered on their own ish" the way Royce has here.

Royce and Em rap circles around one another, finish each other's lines, and pick up where the other left off, sometimes mid-bar. The video equivalent of their dynamic can be seen at the end of "Fast Lane" music video where they jump in front of one another to be first before the camera. Theirs is a unique chemistry -- a competitive cooperation, or a cooperative competition -- that has produced a lyrical rap fan's dream.

This skit-free almost album length work keeps things moving. There is never a dull moment. "Lighters" does not fit with the E.P.'s overall motif of murders, beat downs, rapes, and literal/literary insanities, but its inclusion prevents it from being a monotone, boring, one note release. The beats are varied: "Take From Me" reminds me of something that could've been on Lupe Fiasco's Lasers, while "Loud Noises" is eccentric enough to be challenging for the likes of Eminem.

The only two shortcomings of this E.P. are its extreme misogyny (it's sad to see such talent misused; Em's rage is most likely due to his hate/love/hate relationship with his ex-wife Kim) and its lack of socio-political commentary. The latter became painfully obvious with the words from the chorus of "Above the Law": "the poor stay poor, the rich get richer..." You would think that Detroit's premier MCs would have something to say about the plight of their city, with half of its population unable to read at a high school level and the devastation caused by the auto industry's destruction/export of formerly well-paid union jobs...

One of the best things about the E.P. is the fact that Em and Royce came together and did this for one overriding reason: to have fun doing what they do best. It's not a commercially driven release, it was not created with tracks designed to appeal to specific demographics (club song, chick song, etc.), and it was not done to meet contractual obligations.

This is a labor of love and anyone who considers themselves a fan of the art owes it to Eminem and Royce to buy themselves a copy.
1010 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2011
When I heard this was coming out, I knew I wanted it. Whether it flopped or not. I remember when the Slim Shady LP came out. I remember hearing "see you in Hell for the sequel" and thinking "these two need to do more of this". This album is just awesome. Brought me back to the days when I was younger. As I listened to it, I felt like a kid again who had just brought home some "dirty" music, just as I had done before. If you grew up in the 90's and remember blaring Em's, Kid Rock's, Limp Bizkit's, Korn's, and others like it on your parent's stereos, then this album will take you back in time. I only wish I could have bought this at the record store that I always remember going to as an "under age" kid. The teenagers working there never had to check ID's if the boss wasn't around. Too bad its not there anymore. Great, now I feel old.
on June 14, 2011
UPDATE: THIS IS A REVIEW THAT PRIMARILY FOCUSES ON EMINEM'S OUTPUT ON THIS RECORD (THOUGH I DO ADDRESS THE BAD MEETS EVIL PARTNERSHIP AND ROYCE SEVERAL TIMES). DUE TO COMPLAINTS FROM TROLLS, I'D LIKE TO SAY THAT THIS REVIEW IS IN NO WAY INTENDED TO BE A SLIGHT TO ROYCE DA 5'9, A LYRICAL BEAST. WHEN I DO TALK ABOUT ROYCE IN THIS REVIEW I HAVE NOTHING BUT LAUDATORY THINGS TO SAY ABOUT HIM. THIS IS JUST A RIDICULOUSLY LONG REVIEW FROM A DEDICATED STAN'S POINT OF VIEW. MUCH RESPECT TO ROYCE DA 5'9 (ONE OF THE BEST MCs IN THE GAME TODAY), DESPITE THE FACT THAT THIS IS PRIMARILY AN EMINEM REVIEW.

Alright, let's just air out the facts here: "Recovery" was a great album because Eminem had "recovered" from his rap-slump and gained his old skills back and also developed new techniques such as brilliant double entendres, double-time rhyming over beats, and metaphors that were out of this world and even better than many metaphors we've heard from him in the past. After his rehab, Em said that he had to "learn how to rap again," and "Recovery" showed that he had in fact gained back the lyrical magic that laced the music on his early efforts, along with gaining some new impressive skills.

But, "Recovery" seemed to be targeting to a new audience with tracks like "Love the Way You Lie", "Space Bound", and "Not Afraid", which many old-school Shady fans resented, and I can see why. "Recovery" wasn't hardcore like most old-school Eminem fans are accustomed to, and the inevitable cries of "sell-out" or "soft" began to ring out from some hip-hop fans. I can't count how many times I've heard, "Recovery is great, but I miss the old Slim Shady." To tell the truth, I liked "Recovery" a lot, but basically just because Em had truly "recovered" his lyrical prowess that he's always been known for. The pop sound of the album was different from his past records. The reason that "Recovery" had ME excited was that I knew that Em's next album would showcase an even more improved lyrical flow.

That album has arrived, and this is NOT a "soft" album in any sense of the word. "Hell: The Sequel" is hard, misogynistic, raunchy, raw, very vulgar, funny (but not in a corny way) and controversial all the while (There's even a track about drugs, which I never expected to hear from Slim again.). Now THAT'S the Slim Shady I remember and love. With the exception of one track ("Lighters" featuring Bruno Mars, which sticks out like a sore thumb on this record), this album contains hard beats and hard rhymes from beginning to end. No bubble gum stuff here, so "Recovery" fans, brace yourself for a return to the glory days of Eminem.

Now, to address the partnership of Royce da 5'9 and Eminem. I've followed Eminem's career from "Slim Shady LP" till now, and I've never heard anyone trade verses with Em better than Royce. Royce is an absolute lyrical beast. I was upset when Royce and Em fell out several years ago, b/c they had been boys for a long time, and their chemistry as rappers was uncanny. Now they are reunited, and they haven't missed a beat and share love for each other throughout the record. These guys are rapping INCREDIBLY fast and going back and forth on verses similar to Method Man & Redman, or like Em and Dre on "Say What You Say" from "The Eminem Show". The rappers have stated that when they are in the studio together, they motivate each other to step up their game, and it shows on "Hell: The Sequel". When listening to this album, there is no need to try to figure out who spits better on each track, because they are rhyming almost as if they were born to rap with each other. This isn't a competition, it's a partnership, and both members of Bad Meets Evil are so on point it would make many of today's rappers' heads spin.

Before I talk about the specific tracks, there's a warning I feel I should let the ladies know about. When "Recovery" was so successful, I read a magazine article (I believe it was in Spin Magazine, but I can't be positive) where they attributed Em's newfound success to catering to women. Perhaps Em read the article and took it personally, considering he's very bitter towards women. I'm afraid this album is so misogynistic that the new younger female crowd is going to be quite offended. If you are a female who loves rap music though, this is nothing new, but brace yourself, because Em and Royce go hard on the ladies on almost every track. Just something for you ladies to keep in mind. If it doesn't bother you, then this album is a real treat.

Individual favorite tracks are hard to pick on this album. They are all fire. So, I'll address each track:

1.)"Welcome 2 Hell" - 9/10 - No time is wasted on this album. From the first beat to the last on this song, you immediately know what you're in for: an all-out assault of lyricism. If you ask me, Eminem has developed his lyrical techniques even better than the "Recovery" album. I'm going to include some lyrics, even though it's hard to do so here on Amazon b/c of the vulgarity of this album. I'll replace any dirty words with substitute clean words in parentheses. Em spits: "You has-beens are duller than / coloring books that ain't colored in / Second and third, fourth wind, got another win / Here they come again, none other than, / Bad and Evil, also known as Saddam and Osama Bin." Hard beat produced by Havoc (of Mobb Deep). Great album opener.

2.)"Fastlane" - 10/10 - The first single from the album is on fire. Produced with a bumpin' beat by Supadups and co-produced by Em himself, this song is off the hook. In case you haven't heard it, Shady talks about how he wants Nicki Minaj in a very dirty way that I can't print here. Here's my favorite lyric from this track: Em spits: "Maybe you should listen when I flip the linguistics / Cause when I rip this mystical slick (ish) / You don't wanna become another victim or statistic of this (ish) / Cause after I spit the bullets / I'mma treat these shell casings like a soccer ball / I'mma kick the ballistics..."

3.)"The Reunion" - 8/10 - The most hardcore misogynistic track on the album (perhaps). The theme of the song is that women fans say that Eminem's recent "anti-women" raps have been just for show, and on this track Em is saying that it's not a show at all, this is how he actually is. And he's very convincing, calling women every name in the book. Also, Eminem is ripping on "Relapse" again on this song, making fun of his accents in a hilarious way. Em: "In fact, get in the backseat, like the rest of my dates / No (chick) rides shotgun, what taxi? / Stop and pick you some Maxi Pads up? / Is that what you actually 'aksed' me?" Produced by Sid Roams.

4.)"Above the Law" - 8/10 - Produced by Mr. Porter. Good track. Not exactly my favorite on the album, but it's still got fire lyrics and a great hook and beat. This track is laden with explicit lyrics. Royce goes H.A.M. on this track: "I stay violent / ya'll go the peace route / You got a mouth like Kanye / I'll knock your whole bottom row of teeth out."

5.)"I'm On Everything (f/ Mike Epps)" - 10/10 - Perhaps my favorite track on the album. This is Mr. Porter's best beat ever, IMO. Hardcore and bumpin'. Eminem gives old school fans what they want, a track about drug use. He is just rapping, he's not actually back on drugs. He's just making a song to appeal to the crowd that "misses the old Shady". There's a sample from Mike Epps (comedian) that is off-putting at first, but grows on you quickly. Em spits: "Call me Brett Favre, spell it F-A-V-R-E, yep / It's wrong, other words I just (messed) my RV up." Classic track, IMO.

6.)"A Kiss" - 10/10 - Perhaps the hottest beat on the record, produced by Bangladesh (producer of Lil Wayne's "A Milli" and "6 Foot 7 Foot"). Loaded with bass and staccato drums, this is a track to blast the bass on your system. This is another misogynistic track, not for the ladies really, except die hard female fans. And of course, I can't write about this song with addressing the Lady Gaga "diss". Gaga fans, take it easy. All he says is one little punchline and the outrage that has ensued over the line by Gaga fans is just silly. Here's what Em says:
"Shady, he'll tell it like it is / So tell Katy Perry he's on the tail, he's tailgating / These bells are my mating call and I'm here, / Bells waiting and tell Lady / Gaga, she can quit her job at the post office / She's still a mail (male) lady." Advice to enraged Gaga fans: don't take it so seriously. In fact, from what I know about Gaga, she would probably think it's funny and definitely wouldn't encourage hate towards anyone. Besides, it's not like he's beefing with her. He's always been opinionated about certain artists, and in this instance, he's not making fun of her music like he has other pop stars in the past, so Gaga fans, just chill out. It's all in good fun, and this has been blown way out of proportion. A killer track.

7.)"Lighters (f/ Bruno Mars)" - 7/10 - Like I said earlier, this track sticks out on this album like a sore thumb. It just doesn't fit in AT ALL with the rest of the album. The whole album is hard and vicious with no bubble gum junk. There are touching verses from Eminem and especially Royce da 5'9 on this track, which is why I rated it higher than I should have. I know this is the second single from the album, and I think if you are reading reviews for "Hell: The Sequel" because you like this track, you should know that "Lighters" doesn't represent what the rest of this album sounds like. This track would have been much more welcome on "Recovery". I skip the Bruno Mars parts of the song and listen to the verses only. The most touching lyrics here come from Royce da 5'9: "I ain't gotta stop the beat a minute / to tell Shady I love him the same way that he did Dr. Dre on the Chronic / Tell him how real he is or how (messed up) I am / Or how I would kill for him, for him to know it." Produced by Eminem, The Smeezingtons, and Battle Roy.

8.)"Take From Me" - 9/10 - A bold and deep song about music piracy. I won't lie, I downloaded this album when it leaked, because I knew I was going to buy it no matter what, even if it sucked terribly (hey, I bought "Relapse" twice). I like Eminem's records that much. Unfortunately, that's not the case with illegal downloaders 9 times out of 10, and Em and Royce have had enough. They aren't as mad in the song as they are hurt. This track almost has a bubble gum hook, but not quite, in fact it's quite catchy. One of Em's most touching lyrics on the album: "When my music you take so subtle, just to give it away / To people who don't even appreciate flows / (man) I'm livid today / 'Cause I break my back to give you my art / You steal my thoughts / It's like driving a spike through my heart / You might not think it's a big deal to steal from me / but music is all I got / Aside from my daughters / not tryna sound like a martyr / But it's getting harder than I thought / to just not go crazy / trapped in this house, I'm about to snap / Am I not deserving of what I got? / Did I not work for it?" Even knowing that I was going to buy the Deluxe Edition, this song made me feel guilty for downloading it in the first place. So if you care about Eminem, please, BUY the album so Eminem doesn't quit the game, which he basically hints at in the song. Produced by Mr. Porter.

9.)"Loud Noises" (featuring Slaughterhouse) - 10/10. WOW. These dudes can spit FAST! This is the Slaughterhouse track that will grab the attention of all Shady records fans. All 5 rappers (Em included of course) TEAR THIS TRACK APART. Ortiz from Slaughterhouse absolutely KILLS this track. If I were to type lyrics from this song, it would take too long. Just listen to it and sit back in awe at the lyrical skills of the MCs and be blown away. Produced by Mr. Porter.

10.)"Living Proof" - 8 / 10 - A Bonus track on the deluxe edition. This track leaked a while back, and Royce said it was cut from the album due to the early leak. I'm so glad they included the track on the deluxe edition, because it turns the EP into an album and it's a hot track. Em cracks on himself for having bitter feelings towards women and spits: "... the day that I don't straight shoot / I'll drop outta my anti-women hate group / Say I'm a sissy (homosexual) / record it play it back and put it on a straight loop / you haters look like you ate a grapefruit!" Produced by Mr. Porter.

11.)"Echo (f/ Liz Rodrigues) - 8 / 10 - Another bonus track on the deluxe edition. The track was also cut from the standard version due the track leaking very early. On the early leaked version, Royce's verse is first and Em's verse is second. This version has Em on the first verse instead and Royce second. This track is produced by DJ Khalil, one of the hottest producers around right now. The production is good with a catchy and impressive hook and beat. Em spits: "Diabolical to my last molecule / down to my last hair follicle and cuticle / Rotten to the core / to the (bottom) all the way down to my soul / from my hair to my toe."

I highly encourage old-school fans of Eminem to buy this album. Shady is back and delivering what his original fan base has always loved about him: Hardcore controversial lyrics, hard beats, and unbelievable talent. I give lots of credit to Royce for motivating Em, and vice versa. Royce is an absolute beast on the mic and together with Em they have brought true lyricism back into the spotlight in hip-hop. Buy this CD and you will be pleased. Guaranteed, unless you are a female fan that is disappointed about Eminem going so hard on the ladies. For me, this album represents everything I've ever loved about Eminem. Personally, I like "Hell: The Sequel" better than "Recovery". I think "Recovery" was a necessary step for Eminem to regain his lyrical prowess and get back into the public spotlight. "Hell: The Sequel" should dispel any talk of Eminem becoming a "sell-out" or "soft". Even haters won't be able to deny, this album is fire. 5 out of 5, all day long. BUY it now!
4242 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2011
I have had this cd in my 6 disk changer sense the day it came out. I listen to it the whole way through (accept Lighters because I don't like Bruno Mars). Most songs have an interesting hook and the song with Mike Epps is catchy and adds to the album.
I am a big fan of Eminem's Recovery album, but these seem like older Em tracks compared to his newer ones that aren't as rough.
on January 18, 2014
i never liked EPs, but when i listened to the HELL: THE SEQUEL it was amazing, i love every single track from this ep, especially KISS and THE REUNION this two songs has the best lyrics in my opinion, if u love hip-hop then u should get this album
review image review image review image review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 4, 2013
I guess Eminem really is out of his drug slump, because this CD and 'Recovery' really impressed me. Although 'Recovery' is a little more "well rounded", if you are a true hip hop fan you will enjoy 'Bad Meets Evil". Its very lyrical, and both Em and 5'9' bring their A game. They work very well bouncing off one another. This CD is a must have.
on December 15, 2015
Inherent wobbling with this vinyl although it doesn't effect playback, it rides like a road with hills while spinning. I requested a replacement similar but seems like a bad pressing overall, punch hole in the middle is split and not a clean hole. -Note no other vinyls ive tested on my player wobble this horrendously.- The sound quality is not audiophile180gram, the price makes up for it. I'd say buy it for now for like fifteen bucks and wait for a repress if you love the album.
on September 4, 2013
I came upon this CD totally by accident and was not aware that it came out in 2011. The songs are a collaboration between Eminem and Royce. This album was under the radar for me perhaps because it was not cataloged under Eminem’s name. Once I listened to the CD a couple times, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and impressed.

This is old school Eminem. The guy you don’t introduce to your parents; the women-disrespecting, homophobic, smart-alec rapper who drives the song forward with his abrasive lyrics and sweet beats. Both rappers work well together. I find the songs to have a good synergy between the two styles and lyrics.

Looking at this from an Eminem perspective, I found his last album “Recovery” to be rather disappointing and pretty much an attempt to apologize for his past. Hell: The Sequel dismisses all of his paltry attempts at a 12-step recovery plan and goes back to the aspects that made him successful.

For those who like Eminem and sometimes chuckle at the abusive things he may say, this album is worth your money.
on April 11, 2014
I listened to the breakdown of this album on Shady XM and they explained how they made this album. One would write, the other would listen and write accordingly, they'd do that process again and again till a finished product was reached. It Shows. The wordplay in this album is unmatched.
VINE VOICEon July 10, 2011
Every once in a while there's an artist that transcends their respective genre to obtain mass appeal with listeners no matter what their preferred genre is. Eminem is one of those artists.

What we have with Bad Meets Evil (Eminem and Royce da 5'9") is two MCs at the top of their game. Eminem's rhymes are tighter and more complex than ever before and Royce proves, song after song, that he deserves his spot on this CD. The energy these two exude throughout the CD is amazing and the way they feed off of each others rhymes, seemingly blatantly trying to outdo one another, makes Hell: The Sequel a CD that is easy to come back to over and over.

Eminem's Recovery, was for the most part, pretty serious. And rightfully so, he had a lot of demons to exercise and a lot of explaining to do. Now that he's done that, he's the classic Eminem once again. No one is safe on Hell: The Sequel. What I love so much about this CD is that Eminem and Royce sound so intense throughout so it gets your adrenaline pumping but when you actually listen to the lyrics they cover so many topics. From inspirational topics like not backing down, to funny rhymes about their manhood, its not just in your face hardcore topics. Not to mention that every single beat is on point and powerful.

With this being an EP we don't get a full CDs worth of music. With the delux edition we get 11 tracks (two of which are bonuses). Out of those 11 tracks, I only skip one, Loud Noises. Don't get me wrong, it's a good song and Slaughterhouse tears it up, but I just have a hard time getting into it is all. As for the best songs, Welcome 2 Hell is an incredibly powerful opener that gears you up properly for what is to come, Fastlane sees Em and Royce feeding off of each other beautifully like I stated earlier, Above The Law sees one of Em's best verses of the CD, I'm On Everything pounds, and Lighters sees Bruno Mars belting out an emotional chorus while Em and Royce slow things down.

I want to single out Take From Me especially. As a music lover it kills me when I see or hear about people illegally downloading music. This song, all around, is the most powerful thing either artist has been a part of for some time. Royce's verse is unapologetically harsh which plays into Em's career defining verse perfectly. Listen to the lyrics and actually HEAR where these two are coming from.

All in all, Hell: The Sequel is far and away everything and more than I expected. For rap lovers, Eminem fans, or curious listeners, every one should take the time to give this CD an honest spin. I firmly believe that everyone can find something enjoyable in it. Highly recommended.