5.0 out of 5 stars Explosive New Series!!!
Carla's Review:
HELL ON WHEELS is the first book in Julie Ann Walker's new Black Knights Inc series and what an amazing new series this is!!!

Published 23 months ago by Carla Gallway

3.0 out of 5 stars Although I enjoyed it....
3.5 Feathers
Reviewed by Francesca & posted at Under the Covers Book Blog

Published 22 months ago by Under The Covers Book Blog

5.0 out of 5 stars Explosive New Series!!!, August 11, 2012
Carla's Review:

I am a huge fan of romantic suspense so when I came across these books on Amazon, I knew I had to read them. I was extremely lucky to gets ARCs of the first three books in the series and I am so happy I did. Once I finished the first book I couldn't wait to start the second. I ended up reading all three books in 2 days. I am a sucker for tortured heroes and the "big brothers best friend" relationship so this book was right up my alley.

Black Knights Inc is a group of ex-military men working as a top secret private agency under the guise of a motorcycle shop that is owned by Becky "Rebel" Reichert, who is one of the team members younger sister.

This is the story of Nate "Ghost" Weller and his best friend Grigg Morgan's baby sister, Ali Morgan. Nate has always been attracted to Ali since the very first day he met her. He was also threatened by Grigg that very moment he met Ali that Grigg would kill him if he ever touched her LOL. So, Nate has always tried to limit his time near Ali so she would never find out how he felt. Now that Grigg is gone, Nate still feels obligated to not betray his best friend and stay away from Ali. Nate is also tormented by Griggs death and feels extremely guilty. After delivering the news of Grigg's death to Ali and her parents, Nate and Ali share comfort with each other. He knows now, more than ever that anything between him and Ali could never be, because when she finds out the truth about what really happened to Grigg, she'll never forgive him. Nate decides to just leave Ali alone. That is until Ali shows up at the Black Knights Headquarters and needs protection.

Ali Morgan is an innocent kindergarten teacher. She has always been attracted to Nate, her older brothers best friend. But Nate has never even given Ali a second glance or has barely even held a full conversation with her, leading her to believe that he doesn't really like her. After Ali is mugged and attacked she decides to go to the Black Knights Headquarters and ask Nate for his help. Ali doesn't know much about Black Knights or what they do because Grigg could never tell her the full truth, but she knows her brother was involved in something. A big something that has now gotten her on the bad guys hit list and only Nate will be able to find out what Grigg was involved in and help keep her safe.

The chemistry between Nate & Ali was scorching. I couldn't wait for Nate to finally give into his feelings. Ali has always known Nate to be surly and a man of very few words and emotions. As Nate starts to break down, Ali is surprised to find out that he actually likes her, and is surprised when Nate reveals his true feelings to her.

The story of Nate and Griggs past and the truth about what really happened was heartbreaking. I was in tears when we finally find out the truth, and the horrors of what Nate and Grigg had endured and what Nate was keeping secret from Ali.

We also learn a lot about the secondary characters and I fell in love with them as well. There's Frank "Boss" Knight who runs Black Knights Inc.. We learn that Frank is secretly pining for Becky but will never allow himself to make a move on her for many reasons, two of which are, he's 13 years older than her and her boss. I instantly fell in love with Ethan "Ozzie" Sykes who is the light hearted, geeky computer tech of the group. There's also Becky's older brother, Bill "Wild Bill" Reichert and Dan "The Man" Currington who is married to Patti, Black Knights secretary. There is a horrible, heart breaking event that occurs with Dan & Patti that had me crying my eyes out again!!

All in all, this was a great start to a new series and it has now become one of my top favorite series. I cannot wait to get my hands on more Black Knights Inc. books!!

I give HELL ON WHEELS 5 out of 5 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Although I enjoyed it...., August 22, 2012
3.5 Feathers
Reviewed by Francesca & posted at Under the Covers Book Blog

I must seriously be the odd one out. Everyone has absolutely loved this book and although I enjoyed it, I didn't get to the total adoration. Mainly because of the hero and heroine. The writing in the book is great and the concept of this series is awesome. I mean you can't go wrong with hot ex military working as a private operation and the coverup is...a motorcycle shop. Can't get sexier than that! *fans self*

But then we meet Nate. Although I think he's very hot, handsome, sexy, has that brooding alpha thing going for him, I really didn't get to love him. It may be that he's not very outspoken. And yes, this is an issue brought up during the book, but I don't think I can like a guy who answers in one word answers. Then there's the issue of him having hangups about being a few years older and in love and lust with his best friend and teammates' sister, Ali. He's fought the attraction for most of the time they've known each other. He doesn't talk to her about anything, doesn't let her in. I think they both just have a crush!

Then there's Ali. Well, I liked her but she annoyed me as well. I think with her being so young she was a bit immature and it came across as immature, which got on my nerves at times. Damn, am I starting to get too picky? She is still a very strong person. The premise of this book is that her brother is killed during his work with the Black Knights (who she knew nothing about) and now one of the bad guys that his brother was sort of investigation is after her because her brother sent her sensitive information (proof) of this guys' crimes.

The only ones to keep her safe are the Black Knights while they figure out who is trying to get at her and what her brother was really involved in.

I am not happy to say that Nate and Ali were dancing around each other, aggravating each other, teasing each other for most of the book, but doing nothing about it!

I also have a confession to make. I was so much more into the bits and pieces in this book about the next couple, Becky and Frank. Now, I think they will be more to my speed. I liked them already. Him being older (I see a recurring theme lately on what I'm reading) and thinking he's done, seen and experienced too much to be good enough for anyone, and when it comes to Becky add the fact that he's too told for her. Can't wait to read their book!

*ARC provided by publisher

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written, wouldn't pay full price, December 1, 2012
I brought this e-book in the Cyber Monday deals for $1.99 and even that price was too much for this book. I was so disappointed with it. I can count on one hand how many books I haven't finished and this is one of them. The story idea sounded so appealing, but the execution of it was just awful. My biggest issue with this book was the way it was written. I am an avid reader and don't think I have read anything so poorly written in a long time. I cringed and rolled my eyes every time Ali said "Crapola" or "h-e-double hockey sticks". Really? Is she 11 or 12 years old? What grown woman says that? And what was with the author constantly using-hyphens-to-make-her-point-with-descriptions-of-things? It was really annoying to continually keep seeing this every page or two. I wont be reading the other books in this series, nor will I try anything else of this authors. I've been put off for life.

4.0 out of 5 stars A thunderous read!, August 9, 2012
Kim Adams (Honolulu, Hawaii) - See all my reviews
The perfect man? A poet on a motorcycle. ~Lucinda Williams

Julie Ann Walker roars on to the Romantic Suspense scene with her new series, Black Knight Inc. - special ops personnel turned private security company. They "hide" in plain sight as a custom motorcycle shop outside Chicago. HELL ON WHEELS, Book One, kicks off with a mission gone wrong, a promise made to a fallen friend, and the violence spilling over to a family member. Nate, aka The Ghost, steps out of the shadows to protect Ali, his dead buddy's sister. Nate may not read poetry, but Ali can't help but find him very appealing as the perfect man.

The ensuing ride takes the reluctant hero and the sexy sister through the gut wrenching notification of a brother's death, riveting action as they evade a nefarious organization, and an emotional connection that leads to their HEA.

HELL ON WHEELS is everything a reader could want from a romantic suspense - a tortured Aloha hero, "burning rubber" passionate encounters, and thrill-a-minute action that left me breathless.

I received an ARC from the publisher for this review.

1.0 out of 5 stars you've got to be kidding, September 29, 2012
Joan R. Horton (FAYETTEVILLE, NC, US) - See all my reviews
Was this book written by a 6th grader? How did it get published? Doesn't someone read the manuscripts? The storyline has possibilities, but the military references are way off base and the writing, the dialogue is awful. Maybe I am being too judgmental; I only got through about 40 pages before I said,"erp".

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved The Story!!! Dialogue, Not So Much, August 10, 2012
I really enjoyed this story. It was captivating from the first sentence to the last. My ONLY issue with this book was the dialogue. I don't think it added anything to the story or the character. Nate was a hard and complicated man. His story will make you sad and happy at the same time. Sad for his tragedy and happy that there are men this good to keep the world a safer place. Ali was the perfect combination of strong and sensitive to go with Nate's Alpha male. This would have been a 5 star read if not for the dialogue issues.If you enjoy Pamela Clare and Maya Banks you will love this author's work.

1.0 out of 5 stars pathetic attempt to copy Steele Street series (audio version), November 13, 2012
I can say NOTHING good about this book. Obviously the author is trying to copy Tara Janzen's Steele Street series, the difference is that the Steele Street (SS) series is good. SS has secret operatives who work out of an old garage, have great classic cars, and many worked in chop shops -- this has a motorcycle garage. SS has a boss/leader who is conflicted over his feelings for much younger woman (who is a hacker) and doesn't want her to be an active operative--this book steals that plot line completely! Both throw in an artist/painter, the difference being in SS, from the well written descriptions you can visualize paintings that make you wish they were real and you could see them -- this book just throws it in.

Unlike this book, SS is not fluff, it has well developed plots and actual writing. This book consists 70+% of people thinking about sex, thinking about having sex, thinking about how hard they are, ... another 10% is the author's obsession with coming up with "cute" descriptive phrases and curses. The "heroine" is a prissy, naive, snob and is unbelievably annoying. I found myself repeatedly chanting, "you have got to be kidding" over her dialog and actions.

While I love audiobooks, in this case the audiobook only made a bad book worse--every voice the reader did was badly done and grating. The voice for the heroine was so saccharin I nearly gagged, it was a whiny, spoiled little girl voice. Needless to say I couldn't finish this even though I tried skipping the ridiculous, and huge blocks of internal dialogue from the two primary characters (his: sex, sex, oh woe is me, sex; hers: whine, whine, I'm a ditz, sex, whine) but it turned out there was next to nothing left after those were removed.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT A GOOD BOOK, January 24, 2013
The author of this book has a morbid fascination with gross bodily functions. I read for entertainment & don’t enjoy reading about a heroine who goes around throwing up on everyone & a person who was shot crapping & smelling up the area, she even has a farting cat. I would not recommend this book to anyone & will never read this author again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Cousin to The Steele Street Series, January 6, 2013
Bookbabe "GailB" (Western Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hell on Wheels: Black Knights Inc. (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm barely a quarter into this book and the first thing that slammed into my brain was rip-off of Janzen's "Steele Street" series which was a roller-coaster ride throughout. I'm having a difficult time catching the rhythm of Walker's writing style. It's sometimes good, other times rather juvenile, this lack of steadiness keeps throwing me off stride. I won't go through a synopsis of the plot, others have done it quite well, but I just can't seem to mesh with this writer which can sometimes happen. I have it in e-book format so will continue to read it til the library loan expires. I can't see myself dancing with anticipation for the rest of the books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good story, but very irritating characters..., October 3, 2012
J. Carroll (Cleveland, OH, USA) - See all my reviews
I am not going to rehash what the book is about. I will however, say that this was one of the most irritating books I have ever read in this genre. The female lead sounded like an immature high school girl. If I have to see the word cripes or crimeny or
H-E-double toothpicks one more time I'm going to SCREAM! She sounded like a 12 year old, so I had a hard time seeing her as an attractive and sexual WOMAN. Nate sounded hot, but his personality left a lot to be desired. His grunts and lack of emotion got to be a bit boring. Then there was paragraph after paragraph of the thoughts going on inside their heads, which forced me to start skimming paragraphs, which is always a bad indicator of the quality of a story. Last, I can't even count how many times she vomited! UGH!

The story was good, so the poor character development and personalities is really a shame. Maybe the next book will be better. I'm willing to try one more time... I think...

Hell on Wheels: Black Knights Inc.
Hell on Wheels: Black Knights Inc. by Julie Ann Walker (Mass Market Paperback - August 7, 2012)
$7.99 $7.15