5.0 out of 5 stars Great read and characters!
Published on April 5, 2008 by Joy V. Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Ehh
Published 4 months ago by Pad

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read and characters!, April 5, 2008
Joy V. Smith "Pagadan" (Lakeland, FL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hellboy: Emerald Hell (Paperback)
I'm not a regular Hellboy fan, though I loved the movie, but when I read that Piccirilli had based a character on Manley Wade Wellman's Silver John (I hate it when they call him hillbilly; the movie based on the character was called The Legend of Hillbilly John. What a travesty that was!), I had to get it. I enjoyed the book, though at first I wasn't sure where the author was going, but it had a satisfying ending--with a fantastic, imaginative trip on the way; and I liked Hellboy and the other characters. Well drawn, and Hellboy was Hellboy. This is not a graphic novel, btw; and there are horrific scenes.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent addition to the Hellboy arena!, December 11, 2009
This review is from: Hellboy: Emerald Hell (Paperback)
I've been a rabid fan of Tom since I first discovered him with "The Night Class". When I heard that he would be doing a Hellboy novel, I was stoked. I throughly enjoyed Emerald Hell. Tom's unique voice and deft use of language was purely amazing and a pleasure to read. I didn't want this story to be over. Hopefully, he returns to the Hellboy world, it can't be soon enough!

R. Thomas Riley
Author of "The Monster Within Idea"

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, March 15, 2008
This review is from: Hellboy: Emerald Hell (Paperback)
The book follows Hellboy through the swamps of the south. Hot on his trail is a demonic preacher and two murderous country-boys. The book is an enjoyable read and the author's portrayal of the Hellboy character is consistent with Mike Mignola's vision of the character.

Readers may feel this reads much more like a videogame than an in depth novel. While light on the depth, you really don't read Hellboy for intricate plot, you read it for the simple joy of it.

If you've enjoyed the other Hellboy novelizations, I'd highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read!, December 22, 2010
This review is from: Hellboy: Emerald Hell (Paperback)
Hellboy the Emerald Hell is an absolutely exceptional entry in the Hellboy verse. A beautiful narrative style, plus one of the creepiest antagonists I've read or seen in any medium, plus paranormal events up the wazuu makes this an excellent read.

One of my fears going into this is that it would be OVERLY Christian, basically saying "Our way is right" and showing the "evils" of other regions. However, none of that comes out of this book. It is like it says, an Emerald Hell, with people doing the best they can and sadly having a lot of bad apples to go with it; in other words, overall quite universal.

Next to the All-Seeing Eye, one of the best Hellboy novels around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and fun read, June 24, 2008
This review is from: Hellboy: Emerald Hell (Paperback)
This is a great book that delves into the depths of the deep swampy South and into the hearts and mind of the men and women there. At times it almost seems as if Hellboy is a secondary character as we learn about the ways and culture of the people of the swamp. The characters are well drawn up and detailed enough to create an inviting (if scary) world. Definitely recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Reader, May 2, 2008
This review is from: Hellboy: Emerald Hell (Paperback)
This is a solo Hellboy novel, and a Dark Horse publication, so more like something you might find in one of the anthologies, than the BPRD mission based Pocket books.

In fact, for this story Hellboy could really have used Swamp Thing's help. These Southern swamp dwellers, and their diets of squirrel, snake, turtle eggs, and worse are getting to him. "You people are starting to freak me out a little," Hellboy admitted. "How about if if you save the creepy speeches for the next guy who coems down the road and just let me get on with it?"

He appears to have wandered into the middle of what could be a Manly Wade Wellman tale. I don't think this is necessarily an accident, either:

"Hellboy called, "Lament! John Lament! Get your hillbilly butt up, I need some help here!"

Yes, to oppose an evil undead preacher, Hellboy has the help.

"Where could an Appalachian-wandering mouth-harp-plucking, former-child evangelist, backwoods drifter learn all this?"

...

"For an instant Hellboy thought he saw a reflection of silver in Lament's eyes, like a trail of mercury floating by, and then it was gone."

Probable homages aside, Hellboy has come to investigate why a man's daughters have gone silent and barren, all six of them, and work out how it ties in with the other locals, the nasty preacher and the murderous brothers he has as underlings, and Lament himself.

There's another daughter, by a different woman, who can talk, but is nine months pregnant and vanished into the swamp. This girl is the key to it all, and who they have to find if they can get past the monsters and not be eaten by alligators.

3.5 out of 5

2.0 out of 5 stars Ehh, March 12, 2014
This review is from: Hellboy: Emerald Hell (Paperback)
You can probably skip this one unless you're collecting all the novels anyway. This book is mostly all about crazy redneck swamp people with some religion thrown in, because you know, it's the deep south. All in all, not the most appealing subject matter. I was also pretty annoyed by the end of it with the author's continual use of the title to refer to the environment. We get it Tom, the swamp is green and scary. Move on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, May 3, 2011
This review is from: Hellboy: Emerald Hell (Paperback)
This book was pretty good. Sadly, some of the hellboy books are just BAD. I have no idea why Mike Mignola would approve of some of them, but this one of the better ones. I'm really not 100% the author really knows that much about Southern or Swamp life, a lot of stuff was glossed over. It seems like the authors aren't taking the task of writing Hellboy novels too seriously, which is a shame.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wanted a comic, September 30, 2008
This review is from: Hellboy: Emerald Hell (Paperback)
I really wanted a comic illustrated by Mike Mignola or someone who shares his style. Stories written like they are comic pages without illustrations. Not too cool. But anything Hellboy is good all on it's own.

Hellboy: Emerald Hell
Hellboy: Emerald Hell by Tom Piccirilli (Paperback - February 12, 2008)
$12.95 $11.66