Other Sellers on Amazon
Hellboy II: The Golden Army (Collector's Set)
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Stills from Hellboy II: The Golden Army (Click for larger image)
| || || |
Top Customer Reviews
As entertaining as many comic book-to-film adaptations are it is a rare event when one can call one of these films a true artistic achievement. I am convinced without a shadow of a doubt that Guillermo Del Toro's entire career has been leading up to this film, particularly regarding his work as screenwriter here. The comedy feels less forced and is worked incredibly well into the script here, so much so that it doesn't feel remotely unnatural when the scene of comic drunken singing leads directly without a break into one of the film's most intensely dramatic sequences. Del Toro's handling of character has never been better, not even with "The Devil's Backbone", which is still my favorite of his films, and his sheer skill and ability when it comes to telling a fairytale-esquire fantasy is astonishing, as proved in the prologue to this film. In short this is Del Toro at the top of his game and providing artistry the likes of which we rarely if ever see in summer blockbusters.Read more ›
So you know he has the skills to pit Mike Mignola's scarlet anti-hero against an army of fairies and elves, and not make it silly. Instead, it's a spectacular dark fantasy full of humor, action, quirky appeal, romance, and some truly astounding special effects. But what really shoves this movie over the top is Del Toro's brilliant direction, and the stunning performance by Ron Perlman.
Decades ago, Professor Broom (William Hurt) told a small Hellboy a yuletide bedtime story about the Elf King Balor and his unstoppable Golden Army, and how the crown that controls the Army was split into thirds and divided among fairies and humans.
Well, you can't really expect that kind of power to never be revived.
Cut to current day. Hellboy (Perlman), Liz (Selma Blair) and Abe (Doug Jones) investigate a strange supernatural attack on an auction house, where the archeological curiosity known as the Crown of Bethmoora was being sold -- only to be attacked by savage tooth fairies. Turns out the crown was stolen by Prince Nuada (Luke Goss), a resentful young elf who is determined to take the world back from humanity -- using, of course, the Golden Army.
And while Hellboy chafes against strict new commander Johann Krauss (a suit filled with ectoplasm), Abe encounters Nuada's sister, Princess Nuala -- who also happens to have the last third of the crown.Read more ›
Short Attention Span Summary (SASS):
1. Humans and mythical creatures are at it again
2. One crown rules an indestructible golden army
3. Uneasy lies the head that wants to wear the crown
4. All Hellboy breaks loose after a visit from the tooth fairies
5. The Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense sends a gasbag to lead the team into the bowels of New York City
6. Hellboy may be red and angry, but it's Liz (Selma Blair) who's the hottie
7. Big fights, big guns and big fun follows
8. `Twas beauty that tamed the beast
When the BPRD agents are called to take on the job of stopping rogue Prince Nuada (Luke Goss) they get a lot more than the main responsibilities listed on their job descriptions. Battling mythical creatures, disobeying direct orders, and generally tearing the place apart, our heroes never let a little adversity get them down on the way to a stellar showdown.
This is a fantasy, an adventure, a battle of good against not-so-good, and a love story, all rolled into one red hot package.
Rated: 4.5 stars
Amanda Richards, July 23, 2008
Most Recent Customer Reviews
When this DVD was received in the mail, we could hear it rattling. My Dad opened it for his birthday and the DVD was not clicked into the center secure spot and the DVD was... Read morePublished 5 days ago by Tammi J. Van Wagner
If you're in the mood for fairy tale meets comic book in a PG setting, it's entertaining.Published 12 days ago by Kevin Ryan
Just finished reading this for the nth time and I must say that it deserves to be in the same shelf with the all time classics! One of the best movies in the past decade.Published 15 days ago by Rita
Bluray looks great, and they gave me an updated digital code. Excellent price, arrived on time, A+.Published 23 days ago by Mr. Fancy Pants
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Horror
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Monsters & Mutants
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Boxed Sets
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Science Fiction & Fantasy