4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Read!!
Published on October 23, 2003 by Christine Shaw

1.0 out of 5 stars Sandra Brown's books are becoming very disappointing
Just as I have become more dissatisfied with each new novel from James Patterson, I am now beginning to feel the same with Sandra Brown.
Published on October 25, 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Read!!, October 23, 2003
This review is from: Hello, Darkness (Brown, Sandra) (Hardcover)
After a tragic accident, Paris Gibson left her career as a Houston TV reporter, moved to Austin and became the areas most popular radio talk show host. One night a frequent caller, named Valentino, vented his anger at Paris because she persuaded his girlfriend to leave him. Incensed, he threatened to murder the girl within 72 hours. Her gut instinct tells her this call is no hoax and Paris contacts the Austin Police Department. It is at this time that she is reunited with former lover, Dean Malloy, the Department's crime phychologist. Along with the APD, Paris and Dean begin a race against time to save the young woman's life.
I have been a Sandra Brown fan for many years. She rarely disappoints me. This latest effort, Hello Darkness, is headed for the best-seller list. The story is awesome and I never use that word lightly. Brown weaves a story of teenagers involved with a Sex Club website. These kids communicate with members by posting messages on the website and meeting with anyone who stirs their interest. Mostly strangers. The founder of the site, a judge's daughter, is kidnapped when she tried to break up with a member who became obsessed with her.
The subject matter may offend some readers but the story is too good to pass on. It is a well-plotted thriller, with a dash of romance, that kept me on the edge of my seat. Unlike some of her recent books, Brown does not reveal who the kidnapper is until the very end. There are several suspects and she keeps you guessing. I have to rate Hello Darkness as one of the best stories I've read this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story- five plus stars!, October 10, 2003
S. Gould "gouldpjaks" (Woodmere, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hello, Darkness (Brown, Sandra) (Hardcover)
"Hello, darkness" is Sandra Brown at her best and she is truely one of the premier writers of romantic suspense. This is a story of past mistakes, unintentional betrayal, haunting suspense and heated romance that leaves the reader breathless and eager for more.
Unable to get past her contribution to the lingering death of her ex fiance, Paris Gibson escapes to the darkness of the night. She is the enigmatic host of a popular late night radio program featuring soft talk and love songs. This is both her sanctuary and her only link to the world she has avoided for the past seven years. Then she receives a phone call from a deranged fan warning Paris that he has kidnapped a young woman who after Paris' on air advice has betrayed his love and trust. He offers Paris and the authorities seventy two hours to rescue the girl before he kills her and then comes for Paris.
Paris is joined by the Austin police and their newly hired psychologist Dean Malloy in a frantic search for the psychopath and his young victim. Malloy and Paris share a history rife with attraction and distrust. They must try to put their attraction and their differences aside while they investigate the many suspects in the race to save a life.
Brown weaves various strands of suspense within a sordid tale of confused youngsters from dysfunctional families who risk their lives to seek quick highs from drugs and sex with strangers they've met on unregulated websites. It is a frightening subject that is deftly and realistically handled. The characters are so capably sculpted that you hate to leave them when the story ends. I am never disappointed by Sandra Brown's books, but this one really is a stand out!

1.0 out of 5 stars Sandra Brown's books are becoming very disappointing, October 25, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Hello, Darkness (Brown, Sandra) (Hardcover)
I have been a huge fan of Sandra Brown's novels and have run out to purchase her books the day of their release. My personal library includes every book that Sandra Brown has ever written. I don't know if I will continue to keep her on my list of favorite authors in the future.
Hello Darkness was very poorly written. I knew who the villain was very early into the book. There was no emotional attachment to the characters. Actually, it seemed as if Ms. Brown hurried this book along without giving much thought to the plot.
The only mystery about this book is the fact that it is receiving good reviews. The best part of this book was the last page. I was grateful for this idiotic story to end. This book is not an example of Sandra Brown's talent. I will have to go back and reread some of her earlier suspense books in order to get this bad taste out of my mouth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting Thriller, November 23, 2004
In this book by Sandra Brown, Paris Gibson is host of a late night radio program where she plays music and talks to listeners, sometimes giving them advice. As the book opens, Paris receives a phone call from someone calling himself "Valentino", saying he has kidnapped his girlfriend and will kill her within 72 hours. Paris goes to the police and runs into an old flame, Dr. Dean Malloy. Paris and Dean struggle with the past as well as their feelings for each other, while trying to find Valentino before he kills his girlfriend.

This is another exciting thriller by Sandra Brown. She is expert at giving just enough information that makes you keep turning the pages to find out more. There are plenty of suspects who could be Valentino and his identity is not revealed until the exciting climax of the book. I highly recommend this book, but don't start it too late at night or you may find yourself staying up all night to finish it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not A Keeper!, January 20, 2004
mahikahn (Columbus, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hello, Darkness (Brown, Sandra) (Hardcover)
I don't care for some of Sandra Brown's books. But those have always been the ones written 20 or so years ago and that's because ideals etc. have changed so much since then.
I've waited anxiously for this new book and it was definitely not worth the wait.
1. The characters were flat and boring.
2. The coincidences were way out of control. Brad, Janey, Paris, Dean, Gavin, etc. The possibilty of all of them being connected in the same murder, ending up in the same city and having the amount of previous connections-unlikely at best.
3. What was with Paris and the sunglasses? She was sensitive to light but that sure changed in the end.
4. There was no chemistry between Paris and Dean.
5. What gave Paris the right to decide Dean couldn't see Jack? Considering Dean had known him a lot longer than she had Dean was more likely to know what Jack would want. Also they were both equally responsible for what had happened so why should she punish Jack.
6. I figured out who the murderer was as soon as he appeared in the book.
7. Paris was unlikeable and had about as much depth as a piece of paper.
I am an avid Sandra Brown fan and I can only hope her next book is a whole lot better.
I can however recommend French Silk, The Crush, Charade.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!, January 27, 2013
Hello, Darkness was a miss for me. I did not like Paris or Dean. They were selfish and self absorbed. I could not relate to them nor did I see a good side to either of them, which made them perfect for each other. It is hard to enjoy a book when you do not like the hero and dislike the heroine even more. I feel Sandra Brown failed in developing either of them or redeeming their poor choice that lead to Jack dying. The chemistry between Dean and Paris was nonexistent. It was just sex if you want to even call it that. There was no romance or passion. Also, the girl they were trying to save was not worth saving in my opinion. The only characters I did like were Curtis and Jack (who unfortunately was dead). Also, I felt there were too many coincidences in this book and many unrealistic situations (like Paris always being in the midst of police work). This was a quick read for me because I just couldn't wait to finish it in hopes of something happening to change my initial feelings about this disappointing book. This book did get some great reviews, so maybe I just missed something.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hello, Darkness, December 12, 2004
I have enjoyed Sandra Brown's writing in the past, but was disappointed in this piece of fiction. To its credit, it did have suspense, and was hard to put down. The insight to the DJ profession was interesting, but it was a stretch that this DJ, Paris Gibson, was involved in (what seemed) all the police investigations and interrogations. Too many potential villains: Lancy Ray Fisher/Marvin Patterson, Gavin Malloy, John Rondeau, Stan Crenshaw, Brad Armstrong, were there more!? If Gavin Malloy told his father 'there is one more thing I need to tell you,' just one more time--it was going to send me over the edge. Too much detail about the Sex Club escapades, and yet the death of the victim was basically 'skipped over.' And did everybody have a crush on Paris Gibson, despite the sunglasses for the sensitive eyes? Sandra Brown can certainly tell a story, and I will probably read another of her books in the future. Hope that I can give it more 'stars' next time.

4.0 out of 5 stars If You Haven't Read a Sandra Brown Yet . . ., December 3, 2004
As this is only my third read of Sandra Brown, I don't know how this book rates compared to all her many others; so, if you're already a fan of hers, please skip this review. This is meant for readers who haven't tried a Sandra Brown, yet.

Though I usually read nonfiction when I'm in a serious mood, I do like to read the latest thriller of one of my favorite writers when I'm in the mood for light reading -- particularly when I'm on vacation. Trouble is, writers like John Grisham don't always have a new latest when I'm in the mood for one. So, I'm in the habit of picking up some of the latest paperbacks of best-selling writers I haven't read for those times (horrors!) when I find I'm all out of the latests of my favorites to read. Though I've found a lot of writers I will never touch again, I've also discovered such writers as Stephen White, David Baldacci, Tess Gerritsen, and Patricia Cornwell. And after reading HELLO, DARKNESS, I can now confidently add Sandra Brown to my reliable-good-read list, too.

I first read her ENVY, then THE CRUSH. Though I liked ENVY better, THE CRUSH was certainly good enough to keep me turning pages. And I like HELLO, DARKNESS even better than those. What I particularly like about Sandra Brown's stories is that she's always cooking up subplots, unusual settings and extra characters that she manages to pull together by the end of the book -- admitted, in a rather contrived manner at times. HELLO, DARKNESS gives you a lot of twists and turns along the way to unraveling a murder, too. Why is the heroine hiding in her job as a radio DJ when she could be in television? What was her previous relationship to the police psychologist working the case? What is the psychologist's son hiding from him? What's this teenage sex club thing all about? And, of course, which of the suspects, if any, did the killing?

All in all, if you haven't read a Sandra Brown yet, try her out with HELLO, DARKNESS.

2.0 out of 5 stars So Disappointed!!, December 26, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Hello, Darkness (Brown, Sandra) (Hardcover)
I am an avid reader of Sandra Brown's novels. I've found her latest books to be lacking. This one was the worst. It was too predictable and not exciting enough. I am quite disappointed to say the least.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, April 29, 2004
Angie Rdgz Booklover "Booklover" (Mexico City, Mexico City Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hello, Darkness (Brown, Sandra) (Hardcover)
This is one of the best thrillers I've read. Paris Gibson is witty, charming, and has the exact amount of neediness to come across as a very interesting woman, without being your typical damsel in distress. Once you start to follow the plot of the murders, you can not put the book down, and eagerly expect what comes next. The book shows in-depth research, well-planned plot and characters that have a life of their own. This one is a keeper.

Hello, Darkness (Brown, Sandra)
Hello, Darkness (Brown, Sandra) by Sandra Brown (Hardcover - October 7, 2003)
Used & New from: $0.01