5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Nice Household Cotton Candy Maker
Published on May 9, 2012 by Kent Krauss

3.0 out of 5 stars Be aware
This item DOES NOT come with the sugar mix to make the cotton candy. I didn't see that when I ordered the kit or I would have ordered cotton candy mix with it! Not fun for Santa to give a cotton candy maker with no cotton candy!!
Published 7 months ago by B. Jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Nice Household Cotton Candy Maker, May 9, 2012
This review is from: Hello Kitty Cotton Candy Maker - Pink (APP-96209) (Toy)
This charming Hello Kitty cotton candy maker is ideal for people who enjoy an occasional cotton candy treat. It will work with household sugar, but for the full effect, get some "Flossugar" in the flavor of your choice from a local concession vendor. The "Smart and Final" stores in our area carry this, as well as the paper cones for capturing your floss, at reasonable prices.

This machine is very clean in operation compared to big commercial units, which can blow cotton candy floss all over. The only real down-side is that it takes quite a while to make a smallish ball of cotton candy. It comes with a little scoop, which yields a ball of floss about the size of a softball, in about 4 minutes time. Adults and older children will likely want more, and you can make a decent-sized ball by re-filling the machine and adding a second batch to the same cone. Doing this requires about 8 minutes per serving, so if you plan on serving a large group of kids at a birthday party, this isn't the machine for you. Rent a commercial one from a local party supply instead. They can churn out multiple full-sized portions per minute.

The rotating floss head gets quite hot, so this isn't really a toy, and if it is to be used by young ones, they need adult supervision. Once cooled down, though, clean-up is super-easy with just warm water and a soft sponge.

Overall, this unit is a great value, and does what it is supposed to at this price point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cotton Candy for Dummies :), April 4, 2013
This review is from: Hello Kitty Cotton Candy Maker - Pink (APP-96209) (Toy)
I am REALLY happy with this product. I love Hello Kitty and i love cotton candy so as soon as I saw it I had to get it! I was worried that the Hello Kitty products might be cheap quality, but I was pleasantly surprised with this! It makes REALLY good cotton candy. I haven't had any problems with it and I've already used it multiple times. There was a bit of a learning curve for me, so I've listed some tips that might help!
- You CAN use regular granulated sugar, but it will spit out a lot of the granules without actually melting them and turning them into cotton candy, so you'll only get a small amount of actual cotton candy.
- I HIGHLY recommend buying the Candy Express 5-flavor cotton candy floss sugar kit. I bought it here on Amazon for 25 bucks and honestly the amount you get will probably last you a year! This sugar seems to make fluffier cotton candy, and more of it, and the flavors are really good! (My favorite is the Blue Raspberry.)
- The Hello Kitty cotton candy machine comes with sticks but it does NOT come with any sugar to get you started.
- The instructions say to let it warm up for 5 mins before you put any sugar in. I usually let mine heat up for a little longer so that it melts the sugar better. That might be wrong, but I haven't overheated my machine yet so I'll keep doing it.
- The best way to catch the cotton candy is to hold the stick in one place and just twirl it really fast with your fingers. Keep it up fairly high! The idea is that you don't want the cotton candy you already gathered on the stick to ever touch the metal base, because it'll instantly melt and stick to it, which in turn will make more cotton candy melt and stick and you'll have basically a messy snowball effect and a lot of wasted candy stuck on your machine. As my stick gets loaded up, I start holding it more horizontally, parallel to the machine instead of perpendicular, and keep twirling. This helps so that the cotton candy doesn't fall off the end of the stick or touch the heated part. (Hope that makes sense!)
- The instructions say to use 16-18 grams of sugar. This is about 4 teaspoons, or about one full scoop (the Hello Kitty scoop that's provided with the machine). I've found that if I use about a scoop and a half this gives me the perfect amount for one person.
- When you put the sugar in the little sugar bowl thing in the middle, try to smoosh it down in there a bit, otherwise when you turn the machine on it all flies out at first.
- I will post a picture of the blue cotton candy I made using the Candy Express Blue Raspberry. I haven't mastered the art of making it look pretty on the stick, so mine kind of looks like a Smurf hat, but you get the idea. :)

I would definitely recommend buying this product. It was a bit tricky to use at first but once you get the hang of it it's really fun. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cotton Candy for All, March 23, 2013
This review is from: Hello Kitty Cotton Candy Maker - Pink (APP-96209) (Toy)
Perfect gift for my granddaughter. It makes her little girl parties a lot of fun!!
I only wish that the kit included sugar...it only had paper cones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super cute and so much fun!, September 16, 2013
This review is from: Hello Kitty Cotton Candy Maker - Pink (APP-96209) (Toy)
Love this little machine! Its easy to assemble, easy to clean up and its not rocket science to use! A tip: don't waste your time experimenting with hard candies on this. Rather, make the purchase of the candy floss used for cotton candy spinning as its tons easier and makes a lot more on the stick! Hard candies are too sweet and don't give the goodness of ol' fashioned cotton candy! ("Cotton Candy Express" has a great fun pack of floss and sticks on this site).

Gave this the max stars but do wish it fit back into the box once disassembled..... maybe future buyers can pay closer attention when removing from the box so you can get it back into the box, haha. I didn't do so great at that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cotton candy maker, January 18, 2013
This review is from: Hello Kitty Cotton Candy Maker - Pink (APP-96209) (Toy)
This was a big hit at Christmas and we continue use the cotton candy maker. Delivery was quick and the product arrived just as advertised. Very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, October 22, 2013
This review is from: Hello Kitty Cotton Candy Maker - Pink (APP-96209) (Toy)
This works great! I got it for my 5 year old daughter's birthday last minute after I saw the terrible reviews the new easy bake oven had gotten. This didn't disappoint as a replacement! Easy to use, quick, and fun. We got the three sugars from the "items often bought together" suggested by Amazon and they were great too. The clean up is a bit time consuming but as long as you have some very hot water the sugar melts right off! Very pleased!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes good cotton candy, August 17, 2013
This review is from: Hello Kitty Cotton Candy Maker - Pink (APP-96209) (Toy)
My four year old granddaughter got this for her birthday and she loves it. It tastes just like carnival cotton candy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, December 29, 2012
This review is from: Hello Kitty Cotton Candy Maker - Pink (APP-96209) (Toy)
We are having a blast with this. At first we made it to tight but once we learned how to do it all I can say is wow!

2.0 out of 5 stars Christmas present, May 20, 2014
This review is from: Hello Kitty Cotton Candy Maker - Pink (APP-96209) (Toy)
Granddaughter really disappointed. Did not make much at all and a lot of trouble just to get a small amount. Followed directions of a review that it worked great for, but could never get it to work properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, April 6, 2014
This review is from: Hello Kitty Cotton Candy Maker - Pink (APP-96209) (Toy)
Let's face it, any child is going to be thrilled with this as a gift. Their parents? Not so much. I bought for my granddaughter who is "allowed" the treat only once every 4 months. The guidance of a healthy diet overrules using any more often. It is easy to clean, makes very small bunches at one time. Best of all? She thinks I'm "the bomb".

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›