Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hellraiser
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 31, 2006
I'v been waiting for a long time for hard driving guitar metal with screamers that you can understand and LEAD GUITAR in every song to fight its way back to the front lines......I Wait NO LONGER. I liked alot of the ultra heavy groove metal but it will never replace bands like the Scorpions,Krokus, Loudness, Savatage, MSG, UFO, Gary Moore, Motorhead, Dokken, Ratt, Judas Priest, Halford, Fight, April Wine, Gamma, Rush, Triumph, Max Webster,Grim Reaper, Coney Hatch......Get My Point. My Freinds "IT IS BACK" so Crank It!!!!!

Long Live The Rock And Roll, JRK
on December 6, 2006
This album is simply amazing. From the opening cut to the last song, this is pure hard rock magic. This is classic Krokus. Marc Storace sounds better than ever. This CD has not left my cd player in weeks!!! Old fans of Krokus, you will not be disappointed. Younger hard rock fans, you can hear what the 80's metal era was all about in every one of these songs. Straight ahead, no frills, excellent vocals, amazing guitars, drums, this has it all. I am not the type to write a review of an album but this one definitely deserves it!!! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.
on April 23, 2007
It has been over thirty years since the Swiss band Krokus formed and they've changed a lot from their more 70's prog sound to the classic rock act they now are. Hellraiser sees them getting back in action with a renewed spirit, and those who enjoyed their earlier works such as Painkiller should take note.

Hellraiser is great classic rock with catchy, AC/DC-like riffs and strong vocal lines by Marc Storace. Tracks like "Hellraiser" and "Too Wired to Sleep" are amazing 80's rockers with enjoyable guitar licks and sing-along choruses, while the band does expose their more profound side on "Angel of My Dreams" whose great guitar tone and somewhat folky main melody are among the album's most memorable. Likewise, "Midnite Fantasy" is drenched in plenty of sound effects, a protruding bass groove, and catchy rhythm section. The band goes totally 80's on their ballad "Hangman" in a sort of Bon Jovi meets Blue Tears style, employing slight blues guitar lines and wrapping them around a repeated yet easy to enjoy vocal melody. They get significantly heavier with "Fight On", a metallic piece boasting effective rhythm guitars and crushing bass power. The acoustic-based "So Long" is another ballad that won't disappoint as Krokus really know how to craft a moving piece with wrenching vocals and forceful melodic arrangements. On "Spirit of the Night", not only does Storace let out a crazy scream but he also helps the rest of the band emulate the classic AC/DC sound and it works greatly. Check out the short but totally gripping tapping harmony by Mandy Meier and Dominique Favez -- it's amazing. There is plenty of diversity on this disc no matter what style of rock one may like best.

There is a reason why Krokus never really made it as big as some other bands from the 80's, but unlike most them, they've never gone stale or dropped musical integrity in favour of transient stardom. Therein lies the reason why their long-time fan base will check this album out and enjoy it immensely.
on January 2, 2007
Whilst some may question whether this is actually Krokus or the Marc Storace Band there can be no question that it rocks. I was looking forward to the release of this album but like many people I was also wondering if Krokus could still deliver the goods following the departure from the band of its main stay Fernando Von Arb. Not only did he give the band its guitar sound, but he also wrote the majority of their songs and was the one consistent throughout the band's many line up changes over the years. This would make you think that by leaving the band he would be writing its death warrant, however, this is not the case. Vocalist Marc Storace has kept the Krokus legend alive, and kept the sound true to what Krokus has always been, a kick-a#s hard rock band.

The band now features Mandy Meyer (House Of Lords, Gotthard) on guitar and Stefan Schwarzmann (Accept, U.D.O., Helloween, Running Wild) on drums, but Dominique Favez (guitar) and Tony Castell (bass) remain from the line up on the band's previous studio album Rock The Block. The sound and style of Hellraiser is much like Rock The Block, but perhaps sounds a little more like The Blitz if you want to compare it to past albums.

I am giving this album five stars because I think it's a bit better than Rock The Block (which I also think is an excellent album). Hellraiser has 14 tracks (15 if like me you get the limited edition digi-pack with bonus track Walking In The Spirit plus two live video tracks) and runs in at a little under an hour in duration. That's almost an hour of total rock!

Storace has done a great job with the song writing on this album. Kicking off with a ball breaking hard rocker in the title track Hellraiser, this track has "Krokus classic" written all over it. From there it's just rock, rock, rock until the finish of the last track - Rocks Off! I'm not going to go through the album track by track as there are too many, thus I'll just point out my favorites and least liked for you.

Favorites:

Hellraiser, Too Wired To Sleep, Hangman, Angel Of My Dreams, So Long, Spirit Of The Night (this fast and aggressive track sounds more like a song from the Headhunter album), Midnite Fantasy, Turnin' Inside Out.

The bonus track Walking In The Spirit is a good one too, fitting with the rest of the album.

Least liked:

Fight On, Rocks Off. They just don't appeal to me as much as the rest of the album, but really aren't bad songs.

One other small criticism I have is that I don't like the lyrical choice of words in the song No Risk No Gain. This song is a great rocker, but the phrase "Just playin' the game, it's all hunky dory!" gets up my nose. No doubt there aren't many words that rhyme with the previous line "No risk no gain, no fight no glory" but maybe something like "it's the same old story" would have been better? Anyway, I'm no song writer so take what you will (or won't) from my minor gripe, because the song writing is really what makes this album good.

I went through high school and college in the 80's listening to this kind of music so it's refreshing for me to hear a great band like Krokus still alive and kicking (or should that be screamin'?) and making great albums like this. Have no fear, if Storace can keep this up Krokus should be around for a while yet. If like me you are a fan of Krokus or hard rock 80's style then get this album, you will not be disappointed.

"Hell raiser bone shaker" yes indeed!!
on December 30, 2006
J.Simone hit the mark perfectly! As a fan and 1986 high school graduate, I grew up smack in the middle of the NWOBHM, and all of the hair metal. This album(cd)shines from start to finish. Marc did a good job of finding good musicians for the band, and the results are spectacular. DO NOT hesitate to buy!
VINE VOICEon February 14, 2007
The Good

A galloping drum beat leads into some monster riffage on "Hellraiser." And if you know anything about Krokus, it's ALL about the killer riffs. You get more of them on "Too Wired to Sleep." Vocalist Marc Storace is his usual edgy and scratchy self. Nothing says hard rock like a voice like his. The group offers up some softer tones on "Angle of My Dreams," but still manages to keep it powerful. The riffs get darker and heavier on the anthemic "Fight On." I could easily see this one being used by a boxer or other sports athlete. Frantic drum blasts and chugga-chugga riffage overpower "Spirit of the Night." Apparently after 20 years or so Sorace's woman has turned from a midnight maniac to a "Midnight Fantasy." You'd think at his age he'd be in bed by then. It more jarring riffs on "Turnin' Inside Out." The group goes out with a boom on the somewhat clichéd rocker "Rocks Off."

The Bad

I'll be the first guy to admit that they're not the most complex of songwriters.

The Verdict

Krokus haven't changed a bit in their 30 years of existence; and I wouldn't want it any other way. If you've loved one Krokus album, you have to love them all.
on October 30, 2006
Krokus did it again. They deliver another album, full packed with straight forward Rock'n'Roll. Great Production, Great Songs, and if you like their early stuff, then you will not be disapointed with this new album from the Swiss rockers !
on June 13, 2012
Previous to this release, my top 3 Krokus albums were One Vice At A Time, Headhunter, and The Blitz. Having said this, it should be clear that I prefer the no-nonsense, Hard Hock sound that Krokus became known for during the early to mid-eighties. As such, I was typically disenchanted when the band strayed from this formula on subsequent efforts. In fact, it wasn't until their reunion in 2004 that I actually began to get excited about Krokus again. Even so, although the Rock The Block album has its moments, it fails to deliver the consistent punch I was hoping for. Well, this problem was fully resolved with Hellraiser. In short, it is excellent from start to finish.......one of those rare discs that you can simply load, press play, and ROCK OUT!!! Furthermore, Hellraiser is a legitimate candidate for 'Best Rock Album of 2006', and is one of Krokus's best efforts to date!
on May 12, 2007
Even though "Stampede" was one of my favorite Krokus albums even without Mark Storace on lead vocals, "Hellraiser" is a really good bluesy heavy metal album.

Storace's vocals are very strong and I was always wondering why he did not sing songs which would demonstrate his excellent vocal abilities.

In "Hellraiser" his voice is the best it's been in a while.

All of the songs are typical Krokus songs, not complicated, just straight rock and roll.

If you are a Krokus fan this is an album that should be part of your collection.
on January 28, 2007
I have purchased 2 great KROKUS albums down in 1987 when I lived in New York ("change of address" and "alive and scriming") and I could not forget the band and Marc Storace grate and uniqe voice since then.

Last week I saw the "Hellraiser" album and decided to buy it for the memories of those good days in 1987.. I put the disk in my CD Player and... from the very first minute till the last end of the album.. (took me an hour) I was in astonished and in shock! this is the best metal rock album that i have heard for years! all the songs are exiting, interesting, elegant, and powerfull. especiallly i like the songs: Hellraiser, Angel Of My Dreams, So Long, and Midnite Fantasy. I Salute Marc Storace and the KROKUS band. Keep on and never Stop Rockin!!