Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hell's Kitchen: Causes, Prevention and Cure of Obesity, Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 4, 2011
I have read several of Dr. Joel Wallach's books and this one is the most recent one I have read. First of all, when you look at Dr. Wallach's credentials and those of his wife (Dr. Ma Lan), they are impecable. This is a man that was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. He also sued the FDA and NOW because of his work and research, the FDA and the AMA MUST tell pregnant women that a simple,inexpensive B vitamin (Folic Acid) can prevent a whole host of birth defects. The FDA KNEW (had scientific evidence) that Folic Acid prevented birth defects for 21 years but refused to make this information known to the Public. Have you ever wondered why? Who was profiting from not releasing that information?

Dr. Wallach does not receive a salary from the products that his company sells. Any money due to him is used to fight the Drug Companies and FDA. He is looking out for the health of the general public and forcing Big Business to comply. Why should anyone come up with a cure for cancer? Too much money and politics prevent it. Billions of dollars would be lost for these special interests groups.

Hell's Kitchen reals the truth about obesity, diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome. My suggestion is to purchase the book and then try these nutrients for yourself. Most vitamins and minerals are not working for people because they are consuming synthetic ones. Dr. Wallach's products are "plant-derived" and TOP quality. He owns the mine in Utah where the minerals are mined. I have found nothing on the market like these products. I have a International Diploma in the field of Nutrition. Needless, to say I have tried many types and brands of supplements over a 40 year period.

At one time, I took my son, who was born with severe asthma to a Nutritiontist that was nationally and internationally known for treatment. After a lot of money and time---basically my son did not improve. Once again, this Nutritionist, who was also an M.D., used synthetic products. ( Does anyone remember Dr. Currier of Pasadena, California?) His articles appeared in all the leading health magazines and journals.

My story starts here with Dr. Wallach's products. I have suffered from Restless Leg Syndrome (A Central Nervous System Disorder) for over 15 years. The last 3 years have been unbearable and I have wanted to die many times over. I started on Dr. Wallach's Plant Derived Minerals 2 x's daily and within 10 days I was symptom free. It has now been 2 months with no more Restless Leg at night. I have gotten my life back.

Spending $20 for a bottle of Plant Derived minerals is well worth it!!! I have been to many "Sleep Study" doctors and told that I need to learn to live with this Central Nervous System disorder. I did try the 2 main prescription drugs on the market. They gave me symptoms during the day. I couldn't take having this neurological problem 24 hrs 7 days a week.

All I can say, is Dr. Wallach saved my life with his knowledge and products!! You won't be disappointed in this book and the knowledge that Dr. Wallach reveals in it. This book is an awesome read!
44 comments| 297 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Upon skimming the book it is quite evident there is much historical information contained within. To the average reader who just wants the answers handed to them on a silver platter this is not the book for them. However, if you are seeking insight as to WHY there is a growing propensity towards diseases of affluence and how our species evolved to this point, then look no further.

Hell's Kitchen relates what has transpired in the evolution of the Human mammal and gives general insight as to which steps to take to reverse this trend on an individual level. In Hell's Kitchen: Causes, Prevention and Cure of Obesity, Diabetes and Metabolic SyndromeDr. Wallach does not recommend specific products or formulations, he leaves that up to the reader to decide for themselves.

5 stars for the Truth
5 stars for the related historical content
4 stars for the editing / organization of the book

Yes, some of the same information included in this book is contained in Wallach's other books including Immortality and Dead Doctor's Don't Lie. However, this book delves far deeper into the historical context of why there are so many chronic cases of diseases of affluence and how modern inventions along with corruption and greed have all combined to create a perfect theater for chronic diseases that could otherwise be prevented.

Following Dr. Wallach's guidance of supplementing with minerals, vitamins (particularly the Bs), amino acids, etc I immediately shed 15 pounds in less than a week and kept the weight off.

For those who may question Dr. Wallach's higher level background and insight into "diseases of the human animal" over other so-called Medical Professionals, I refer them to study the tome Diseases of Exotic Animals by Dr. Joel Wallach, DVM, ND.
33 comments| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2011
I can't say enough about the changes I have seen in my own body after taking some of Dr. Wallach's recommendations to heart.

In another of his books "Dead Doctors Don't Lie" he tells the story of how he quizzed and quizzed his father about why the cattle got supplements and he did not. I had never thought of it that way.

Ever since I have been following his suggestions, I have seen changes in my body that are even hard for me to imagine. I have better elimination of stools, my joints no longer hurt, my hair is not as gray (my hairdresser agrees), not to mention the changes that I can't see blatantly in front of me.

I do not by his supplements. Like the other reviewers, I have researched and researched to find cheaper alternatives.

But certainly read this and his other books. I think living to 120 happily would be amazing.
66 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2006
I am a big proponent of nutritionally based education, especially as a preventative and treatment source for a myriad of common ailments. As such I find the Wallach's book informative, but am ever frustrated at their scattered writing which leaves many nutritional conclusions unsupported or very vague.

I doubted the craving vs mineral deficiency connection but was quickly proven wrong as I stepped up my daily intake to 200% of both vitamins and minerals 2x per day (100% each time). After doing that, all cravings were gone and have stayed gone for over 3 months. Wow!!!

The Wallach's sell their own blend of supplements, most of which are ridiculously overpriced, even for a premium product. I know, because I research this stuff to death. The multivitamine/mineral supplement can be easily had for half the cost by going to sites like ReNutra/Lyflo or others without getting gouged to death.

Good information - but be prepared for frustrating times as you thirst for properly developed thoughts, conclusions, and an easily followable direction in the writing.

Still, I thank the Wallach's for their benefiting the Nutrionally based prevention and mitigation of disease.
77 comments| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2012
I ordered three of Wallach's books - Hell's Kitchen, Rare Earths, and Immortality. To my surprise they are all virtually identical, with the same chapters appearing, slightly shuffled, and only very slight differences in content. They appear to be self-published without editorial guidance. Wallach's main thesis is that all diseases stem from mineral deficiencies in the diet. His arguments are largely anecdotal, citing the abandonment of the practice of using the ashes of wood fires in gardening and seasoning food, which, he says, was once a primary source of minerals in the diet. His prescription for a healthy diet is the following:

1. Eliminate all forms of vegetable oil from the diet (he doesn't say why). Meat and dairy fats are apparently ok.
2. Eliminate all forms of sugar from the diet.
3. Supplement the diet with all the necessary vitamins, colloidal minerals, and essential amino acids and fatty acids (no mention of suitable levels of any of these).
4. Otherwise, eat whatever you want (contradicted in various places with other restrictions).

There is some useful discussion of the different forms of minerals and why plant based colloidal minerals are better absorbed in the body. But you really have to dig to find this information. The chapter titles bear no relation to the chapter contents.

The remaining 99% of the books' contents are a complete mishmash of random newspaper clippings, obituaries, geological history of the earth, and other entirely random factoids. One gets the feeling that all this stuff makes sense in Wallach's head, but it makes no sense at all in the form presented. If that wasn't annoying enough, imagine opening up book after book, having completely different titles, and finding them all the same! There might be something worthwhile in Wallach's brain, but it doesn't translate in the present form. He desperately needs a good editor.
1010 comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2014
In this easy to read book Dr Wallach introduces the concept that animals that are thought to die of natural causes on investigation are always found to die of some sort of nutrient deficiency. He explains how for over the last 50 years that many common diseases in man, have been completely eradicated in animal farming techniques with the inclusion of specific combination of nutrients to their diet. He talks about how we get fat searching for some nutrients in our food that our bodies can’t seem to find. He discusses how common some food intolerance's really are and how they directly affect our mineral absorption which has consequences. There is one bit of free advice on food choices that if followed could add as much as 20 years to your life. I find this all really fascinating, you will find me really getting into it in the Facebook group; Warrior Immune System.

In 2011 I was told around 18 times by medical professionals that, without their treatment, I would fairly shortly die a slow and painful death from throat cancer (non smoker). After their slash, burn and poison treatment I was fairly well convinced that they were right. On recovery I explored the Internet seeking to improve my 50% five year batting average. In mid 2014 I listened to Dr Joel Wallach ND, talk on nutrition, since then I have read most of his books, followed his advice as much as I can and I have to say that I remain really impressed. I no longer worry about dying from the cancer returning because Dr Wallach has explained to me in his books and talks the science of health, nutrition and longevity, and given me access to the raw materials that are essential for my body.

Unfortunately I still lose far to many friends and family to preventable chronic diseases in part because I can't get them to read his books or follow my Facebook group Warrior Immune System that I set up to help present his work.
on December 27, 2013
I've found Dr. Wallach's information to be very useful in reclaiming my own health. Hell's Kitchen takes you through the history of how we lost minerals in the diet when society stopped using wood ashes in the garden and cooking and replaced them with electricity. I agree with some of the other comments that there is a lot of extraneous information in the book and you have to search to find the useful stuff. But I have found for myself that when I upped the intake of minerals and other supplements and changed my eating habits according to his instructions it has truly made a difference in my health, in a short time. Increased energy, noticeably improved joint pain and weight loss to name a few of the benefits. The book is informative, but could have done a better job of condensing the info and offering more info on just what minerals do.
on November 21, 2012
I loved this book and have encouraged all of my friends to read it. It is a great source of information for those of us who know that something is wrong with our diet, but don't know what. You'll know what it is after you read this book and it will change the way you eat and will teach you how get the minerals and vitamins you need for good health and longevity.
on March 7, 2014
Full of documented studies and information regarding diet that everyone should know and have access to. It made me angry to think this has been kept from the public when it can save lives.
on July 28, 2013
I like Dr Wallach's work. I listened to his "Dead Doctors Don't Lie" lecture back in the mid 90's and have been taking mineral supplements ever since. I found this book to be an overly detailed history of how we stopped getting minerals because we do not cook with wood. Parts were interesting and informative - I just feel that the point could have been made with far fewer words.