5.0 out of 5 stars Great base layer for skiing
Love the warmth of it. I have a couple of these and the HH base layers that don't have the merino wool so that I can be the proper amount of warmth in a variety of conditons and have found that I can double up on these layers for even more warmth.

Published on April 20, 2012 by Taos Skier

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the colour I bought...
Published 1 month ago by Martin Henderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great base layer for skiing, April 20, 2012
This review is from: Helly Hansen Warm Freeze 1/2 Zip Mens Long Underwear Top (Sports Apparel)

With the particular one the zip extends the temperature range. Zip it up when you need the extra warmth of the turtleneck and bring it down when you don't. Really made skiing more comfortable.

Also works just as a shirt around the house in winter, we keep it a bit cool and this provides just the right amount of warmth.

More durable than I would have thought, have used it for more than 70 ski days and even more as just a short and no wear signs yet

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as I had hoped they would be, January 23, 2014
I bought the top and bottoms for my husband who suffers from the winter cold tempatures. He loves them! They fit perfectly (top X-large, bottom large - he's just under 6' and about 180 lbs.) The arm length is perfect - down to the wrist, not half way up the forearm. We are in MD and are currently having very cold (6 degree lows and 29 degree highs) and he is warm and toasty.

They fit well under regular winter clothing and wash well - no shinkage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helly Hansen to the rescue, October 28, 2011
This is an excellent primary layer. It breathes well and keeps you warm. It is mid to heavy weight and works well with fleece over layers. It doesn't get static-y. Durability has been excellent so far with no signs of wear.
I would recommend it over the "___armor" brand. It maybe wool but there is no itching!
At full price it is as pricey as the competition but you can get a good deal on it off season.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helly Hansen murino wool is a must., June 20, 2014
This thing is fantastic, it breathes SUPER well, keeps you toasty warm and dry. I would recommend this if you are doing some fall camping in cooler weather.

5.0 out of 5 stars great fit, great quality, June 16, 2014
up to the brand name. fit perfectly, not too snug and not too loose. feels great against the skin thanks

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the colour I bought..., June 5, 2014
I bought the one listed and I got a "similar one" which has pale blue details on the sleeves, on the wrists and on the zipper (which is not even one of the other ones listed!). If I would have been notified then I would have chosen a different colour and not spend 90$ on this one which I really don't like at all. Unfortunately, I bought from South America, so returning it is not an option now. The shirt quality is great, too bad for the colour mismatch...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, March 19, 2014
Very useful for outings on snow and low temperature areas, helps maintain a comfortable temperature, facilitates outdoor activities regardless of the cold

4.0 out of 5 stars Great base layer, but a bit tight in the neck, February 18, 2014
I purchased the Helly Hansen Men's Freeze Turtleneck for a ski trip to Mount Tremblant (temperature range: -10 to 15°F) this past December. The shirt was an excellent base layer for any cold weather outdoor activities.

Size note: I'm 5'6", 180lbs. and on the bulkier/muscular side. I went with the medium, which ended up being a great fit (semi-tight, but not constricting) in every area EXCEPT the neck. The neck was too tight for me, which was a shame, since the rest of the shirt fit appropriately. If I ever order again, I'll definitely opt for a crew shirt.

I wore the Helly's as my base layer during three days of skiing, a dogsledding trip and general outdoor use. They lived up to their reputation, specifically in the areas of warmth and moisture control. Regarding warmth, they were absolutely awesome; I could not ask for more out of a base layer. Even at the coldest temperatures, the shirt kept me extremely warm (I wore them with a pair of insulated ski pants). They were also great at wicking moisture and sweat away from my body. I would frequently find the insulation layer of my ski jacket soaked with sweat, while the Helly's remained dry.

All-in-all, I am mostly happy with my purchase and I would recommend these pants to anyone looking for a cold weather base layer, with one caveat: if you have a thick neck, go for a HH crew shirt (similar to: http://www.amazon.com/Helly-Hansen-T-Shirt-Night-Small/dp/B007FPMTEI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392746203&sr=8-2&keywords=helly+hansen+warm).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Base Layer, December 22, 2013
This men's warm freeze base layer, from Helly Hansen, is designed to be like a second skin, wicking moisture away from the body and helping to keep you dry and comfortable- and it lives up to the hype! The top is of typical Helly Hansen quality. BUT- as I have found for all HH gear, it runs small (my husband is normally a Large and the X-Large is a good snug fit). It's super lightweight and breathable. Warm when standing still but breathable during activity. The top is a nice slim cut and looks good too. At the clearance price it's good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, November 5, 2013
fits perfect, feels great, and warm, love this top, can't wait to try it when i go snowboarding this season

Rate and Discover Movies