4.0 out of 5 stars Great rain-proof pants, no pockets
Published on April 27, 2011 by Karen P.

3.0 out of 5 stars works but really ugly pants
Published 16 months ago by Susan Mueller

4.0 out of 5 stars Great rain-proof pants, no pockets, April 27, 2011
This review is from: Helly Hansen Women's Voss Pant (Apparel)
I had a pair of these for a couple of years, somehow lost them, was happy to find them on Amazon at a great price. They are completely rain-proof. The legs are kind of wide, and have 2 sets of snaps at the ankles for adjustment. It is important to some people to be able to put the pants on while wearing boots. You could probably do that with these, but I always take my boots off rather than putting muddy boots inside my pants. There are no ankle zippers. They are not breathable and do make noise when you walk, like with nylon jogging pants. I don't find either to be a problem. I normally wear a size 8, and the medium fits me over jeans in the winter and leggings in the spring & fall. I'm 5'4" and they are too long, but the ankle snaps take care of that. They are lined, so you could wear them alone also. I would give them 5 stars if they had pockets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pants!, July 21, 2010
This review is from: Helly Hansen Women's Voss Pant (Apparel)
I love these pants! I'm currently working as a gardener in the temperate rainforest of S.E. Alaska, its always raining and I'm always outside but these pants keep me dry all day. They are sturdier than I expected which is a good thing. They are not breathable which might be a problem if you plan on wearing them on difficult hikes or during the summer in the lower 48, but I haven't been hot in them yet. I would definitely recommend these pants.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for winter cycling, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Helly Hansen Women's Voss Pant (Apparel)
I bought these to ride my bike to work in winter in MD. They are completely waterproof, but not at all breathable, which means they're also windproof. They won't work for summer cycling, but I figure it's MD and if it's too warm for these, it's warm enough not to care about getting wet. It was about 30 degrees out this morning and I wore these over thin track pants and was plenty warm. My commute is only 2.5 mi so I wasn't hot or at all sweaty when I got there.

A great feature of these pants is that they are very long and have snaps at the bottom. I'm 5'8" and with the snaps undone, I walk on a good 2" at the bottom of the pants. With the snaps done up they stay below my ankles and keep the wind out/heat in. I'm about 175 lb and the large-size pants are comfortable but not especially roomy over my jeans or track pants. There's give in the waist for sure (and an adjustable clasp if necessary), but there's no give at all in the pants themselves so choose your size carefully.

I wish they had a pocket (for my bike lock key) and some reflective embellishments. Otherwise I can't fault them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding and reliable, December 30, 2012
This review is from: Helly Hansen Women's Voss Pant (Apparel)
I purchased these pants for my recent Antarctic expedition cruise, as I was required to bring waterproof pants. I was initially leery of the lower price, when other brands' waterproof pants were quite a bit more, but these pants were incredible and really got the job done. I was riding in zodiac boats twice per day for a week in sometimes very choppy water, and my under-layers never got wet. I also had to step out of the boot into 6 to 18 inches of water at the shoreline, so the pants were actually submerged, and they did not allow water to soak into the material and wick up the leg. It is quite windy in Antarctica, and even though it was the summer season down there, daily temps were in the upper 20s F, but the pants stopped the wind and kept my legs warm. They are not lined, so you will need to wear one to two layers, such as a base layer and mid-layer underneath, but you will be warm and dry with these on top. Helly Hansen is a very reliable brand, and many of the experienced expedition staff were wearing their garments, and they were sold in the onboard ship store.

They are slightly baggy and don't have pockets, but that was not a problem for me at all. I'm normally a size 2 (5'6", 126lbs), but got a small, rather than an extra-small, and that was the right decision, since I knew I'd be wearing two layers underneath every day. Since returning from the trip, I've worn them out running with only a base layer underneath when it was 20 F, and they locked in my body heat, keeping me warm but allowing full mobility. I cannot recommend these highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, September 11, 2012
These pants are perfect! They are long enough to put over boots and have two snap closures at the ankle (for larger or smaller ankles) These pant do sit at your natural waist so beware of that if you are expecting "low riding" waterproof pants. They fit nicely and are well constructed; they do not smell of rubber as some waterproof items can. It is a soft feeling fabric they use so it swishes when you walk rather than squeak. They are NOT lined so if you are looking for a lined pair these are not it... though you could easily wear tights or leggings.... or even jeans under these. Awesome.

3.0 out of 5 stars works but really ugly pants, March 3, 2013
I purchased these pants for two reasons. First, we live about 1.5 blocks from a park. In winter, I needed something quick and easy to pull over my jeans, when I walk my 3 dogs to the park. The pants are perfect for this. They keep me dry and add warmth to what I am wearing.Secondly, we are planning a trip to Northern Europe this spring.Most likely, it will be wet, it will be chilly. I thought the pants would come in handy. The problem with them are they are so long! I am 5'7" and they billow out around the ankles. I would have to be getting really wet before I would put these on and walk around a city in them . The park w dogs is one thing, but stylish they are not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for biking, December 21, 2012
I became a bike commuter at the start of the driest summer in Seattle's history. When fall came, I could handle the occasional sprinkles, but once it started pouring, my water resistant athletic wear was getting soaked through. After having to ride home in my jeans because my sports pants were still dripping wet, I hopped onto amazon and luck directed me to these pants.

I had looked for waterproof biking pants, but everything I found in bike shops was $100+, much more than I could afford. The HH Voss Pants are perfect. They keep me warm and dry. They are loose enough to layer with room to move. As others have said, they are not lined and they do not breathe at all, but I wouldn't wear these without a base layer and being a little sweaty when I get to where I'm going is worth not freezing and soaking my bum off.

When I ordered Navy, I was expecting a different color than I actually received. I would call these more of a slate gray than a blue anything. I'm not complaining though, the color is a perfect neutral and matches my windbreaker wonderfully. These pants saved me from eternal dampness. They are a GREAT value. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, January 21, 2014
I bought these for a winter vacation in Iceland, where I expected cold and rain. The pants were way too long for me (I'm only 5' 2" but almost 200 lbs) but I was able to shorten them and add some Velcro to the hems for closure. The fabric was stretchier than I expected, so fit over my other pants easily, which was a plus. We experienced rain, hail, snow and strong winds, and the pants held up fine, and kept me dry. I would recommend them if you need a waterproof layer on top of other clothes without spending a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waterproof pants for outdoor activities, October 11, 2013
I got a list of required clothing for an upcoming trip. Imagine my surprise when they insisted we need waterproof clothing. What? When they got to the "rubber raft" part of the description, I was a bit worried. More than a bit worried. I hadn't figured out how we were going hit shore from a ship in the Straits of Magellan, but it seems that we're going to be wet, very wet. And most of the day, too. One item they listed was waterproof pants. I ordered these and I tried them on. I am VERY tall and most of my height is in my legs. Add to that, I'm thick around the middle (I never did have a waist even as a skinny kid and well, in my sixth decade, I'm not a skinny kid anymore. However, I'm still game for a bit of adventure. Or, else, I'm still a bit crazy.)

These fit well. They are a little more trim than I'd like (as I'm going to be putting a layer of tights underneath.) But they did fit over tights and glory of glories, they are more than long enough for my 36" inseam. The extra length is good, as these are going over my waterproof hiking shoes.

I think I'll be relatively dry in these pants. These are trim enough to use for biking, though I think if you are shorter than me, you'd have to do something about the cuff to make sure they didn't interfere with the bike chain.

Still thinking about those rubber rafts. How are we getting from the ship into the raft? Hmm. Better not dwell on this.

**UPDATE** These are AWESOME. I was completely dry, being splashed plenty in the rubber raft (a Zodiac raft) and the only issue I'd make is that it would be good if there were velcro straps to close the pants around the ankle (I noticed similar pants worn by other of our crew had this feature.) I wore runner's tights underneath and was plenty warm and dry all day. They look pretty much like regular pants, too, as the material is relatively thin and very flexible. I can heartily recommend these for boating or wet weather hiking. If you bike, I'd look for a different model with velcro on the ankles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted., October 6, 2013
A.J. Hoyle (Parkside, South Australia Australia) - See all my reviews
These pants fit perfectly (5' 11" tall, 39" hips, Size M) very much like the picture. The fabric doesn't look "plasticy", and with a coat they look like an ordinary pair of pants. They are light weight, so I can carry them with my work things to take care of bursts of evil weather. They also fit over the top of a pair of suit trousers, but for winter weight pants I might get the large size. The fabric doesn't look like it would fray, so smaller people who don't sew could probably cut the legs to the right size, or just fold them up.

Helly Hansen Women's Voss Pant