Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Help for the Helper: The Psychophysiology of Compassion Fatigue and Vicarious Trauma (Norton Professional Books)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

67%
33%

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on September 6, 2011
My problem with this book is that it could have been three times shorter. I agree with one of the reviewers that it is way too heavy on a physiology of empathy, but I do not have a problem learning about neurological aspects of interpersonal experience in therapy as long as they are concise and fit in the context of a practical help. My major dissatisfaction with this book is that even practical solutions that the author is offering seem to be not practical at all. I'd much rather learn about some general strategies for recognizing the upcoming problem from the empathetic involvement with clients at early stages of therapy and some general criteria for making a decision about either continuing to work with them or referring them out. I don't think that all those tedious exercises that the author suggests really help one cover oneself with a protective blanket and make them invulnerable to a "compassion fatigue". Don't know. May be they could help some, but they certainly wouldn't help me. Last, but not least, as I mentioned in the beginning, the redundancy in this book is very annoying. The ideas that the author presents are great and make perfect sense, but, my God, why does she need to repeat the same point over and over again in a thousand of different ways! F.i, when she talks about mimicking and describes the whole history, physiology and nuerobiology of this behavior, the main point that she is trying to convey is that we all mimick other people and that it is a natural human way of interacting with others. Why not just say so and use two pages to communicate this point instead of 50?
on March 20, 2011
I made a hasty decision to buy this book based on the title and a friend's recommendation, because I was looking for "help for the helper." Unfortunately, it turns out to be heavy on the psychophysiology of trauma and attachment--which I'm already familiar with--and light on the help. If you're looking for a readable review of the science, you'll enjoy this book. If you're looking for practical solutions, I suggest you look elsewhere. What there is seems obvious and not particularly new.
on July 16, 2013
I was planning on using this book for a research project and it was terrible. The font was very large and I felt like I was reading a book for high school again. The information was not very helpful nor did it make an impact on my future counseling career. This would be the best for the general public.