5.0 out of 5 stars a problem solver
I loved the book!! Ms. Anderson had wonderful ideas, was consistant in her organizing tips and covered all the bases! I've reread the areas that I found helpful, and want to incorporate ideas that she has suggested in her book regarding travel and home office organization.
Published on June 5, 2007 by Jan Wehner

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but needs better layout
I wanted to rate this 3 1/2 stars.

This book would be great for someone who does Sidetracked Home Executives or FlyLady (licensed to use their system, adding her own touches to it), as it breaks tasks down for you into really basic steps, room by room. The travel lists and the tip list in the back are very good.

What I didn't like about this...
Published on February 23, 2008 by ReadNReVu

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but needs better layout, February 23, 2008
This review is from: Help! I'm Knee-Deep in Clutter!: Conquer the Chaos and Get Organized Once and For All (Paperback)
I wanted to rate this 3 1/2 stars.

What I didn't like about this book:

Spends an entire chapter on basements, which many people do not have. Also discusses attics, same thing. And, you shouldn't be using them for storage of lots of things anyway, if they have any potential as proper living space.

Some of the advice seemed rather arbitrary in nature, especially as far as the paperwork organization. Not everybody organizes in the same way (e.g., some prefer color-coding as opposed to straight alphabetization). So, this is a "how to organize HER way book", as opposed to organization books that offer many different ways to go about it.

This would have been much better in an 8 1/2 by 11 inch format, instead of the 5 1/2 by 8 1/2 format. Constantly turning pages for the lists was annoying.

There was a high degree of repetition of the basics and list headings, which took up space, and the little pencil logos would have been better replaced by a line to put a check mark on.

This is a good book for those who need a "just tell me what to do" approach. If you want a bit more flexibility in your organizational choices, this book still has some good advice, but you might also want to read Peter Walsh's books as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars For Beginners Only, January 10, 2008
I found this book annoying on several levels. The information it contains is extremely basic. I admit I've read many books on organization, but I found no new ideas here. Some of her suggestions seem odd (advice to put fake plants in your kitchen to make it cozy while pointing out - correctly - that they collect dust in another chapter). Some of them needed clarification (she suggests putting computers in your child's room with no discussion of safety issues, despite a brief mention of computer safety in another chapter). The format is largely a collection of lists of ideas and routines, and each and every chapter repeats exactly the same first steps of scheduling and organizing, which makes the book appear longer and more comprehensive than it really is. I also wondered where her editor was hiding -- her continual use of "clumping" drove me mad. Most of the people I know group like things together when they organize, they don't clump them! I'd recommend this book only to beginners who believe the list format may be especially helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars a problem solver, June 5, 2007
Jan Wehner (port angeles, WA) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting reading - some good ideas, January 30, 2010
Beverley Haines (NARANGBA, QLD, AU) - See all my reviews
After a general quick read through this book I find that it can be helpful after adjusting some of the ideas given.Do appreciate the help given for 'while watching TV' - though the family are getting quite tired of me getting up and down each time an ad comes to view!
As I progress with the book, I will be able to judge if the book has made a difference.
The author has a good insight to the problems disorganised people have and any good ideas are greatly appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Clutter Tips, March 20, 2008
I consider myself to be a fairly organized person, but I found many, many tips in this book to make my life easier and more organized. I highly recommend it. It's well-written and it's easy to find information on your particular clutter problem. A good reference book to have on hand during the upcoming spring cleaning season.

5.0 out of 5 stars Checklists to Conquer the Clutter, February 24, 2008
I got a kick out of this book. It's easy to read and offers useful checklists that are comprehensive, down-to-earth, and helpful. That's exactly what I needed!

Used & New from: $0.01