5.0 out of 5 stars Dads - you're not alone, great book!!
There are those rare things in life you get a taste of and long for more as a dad: Old Spice scented baby wipes, home-cooked meals, floors you can walk across in the dark barefooted and Todd Wilson's book.
Published on July 16, 2004 by Bruce Crew

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not rocket science, just common sense.
This book is ok but it didn't provide any unusual insight, at least to me. It spends a lot of time discussing a home schoolers life and encouraging a dad to be part of it.
Published on January 2, 2013 by CKF

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dads - you're not alone, great book!!, July 16, 2004
Bruce Crew (Oklahoma, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Help! I'm Married to a Homeschooling Mom: Showing Dads How to Meet the Needs of Their Homeschooling Wives (Paperback)
With the wealth of encouragement and instruction available for homeschooling moms, it's great for dads to get a nod too. With humor, self-reflection and some terrific cartoons, Todd manages to boost up even the most road-weary of dads.
The book is terrific and the cartoons alone are worth the price of the slender tome! Besides, short chapters work great for dads whose lone "quiet time" usually comes at reflective "bathroom breaks" while a kid or two is pounding on the door screaming, "Dad, come out something's on fire!"
Todd "You-Da-Dad" Wilson hilariously manages to point out all the craziness that goes on in the homeschooling house, but never forgets dad has to keep his wits and keep on keeping on. You don't have to be a homeschooler to get encouragement from his book, just a dad willing to try his best for his family.
Laugh at his bungles and smack your forehead a time or two when you see yourself in them too. Above the laughter, there's a deeper message that dads are in their role for a reason and it's their responsibility to keep the household afloat. Leaks will happen, wet shoes are fine and an occasional iceberg may appear on the horizon, but in the end it's all about the floating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relationship solutions not educational or organizational solutions, November 10, 2006
As a homeschooling wife I recommend this book for what it does:It really helps my husband understand me and my job better, but it doesn't do anything else.

If you're struggling or feeling overwhelmed, understand that this book addresses branches -make sure you deal with roots first. Two common root problems with homeschooling are not addressed here, and based on the content of this book, might need addressing in the author's home.

The first is educational philosophy. The author and his wife appear to be homeschoolers mimicking school at home (known the homeschool community as "school at homers"). For an outstanding argument why it is not a great idea to homeschool this way, "I Saw the Angel in the Marble" by Chris and Ellyn Davis is the best place for every single homeschooler to start. If you buy only one book on homeschooling ever-that's the book to buy. It compares the educational approaches and the pros and cons of each while addressing the underlying philosophies of each and how they affect your life.

The second is child training. There was precious little as to the training of children in life skills like chores. It is critical for a homeschooling household that every single person contribute daily to the upkeep of the home. Every child with normal physical and mental development should begin training for chores by age two. That's right-two. This book seems to only focus on Dad helping Mom, rather than Dad and kids helping Mom. Dad should be helping Mom train the children to have a sense of personal responsibility and a strong work ethic while helping with household duties. Chore charts, family work projects, teaching organizational skills, and the like are missing.

If these two major issues are effectively addressed in your home, this book is very good at helping your husband understand that you work 24-7 and he needs see know that he is not "off work" when he comes home. While it doesn't directly say so, it shows Dad that Mom is always thinking about the wants and needs of everyone else all day long year in and year out. Dad should spend some time thinking about Mom's wants and needs. The empathy and respect for Mom's tough schedule is the book's strength. There are very good communication skills for men.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Wish I'd Had This One Years Years Ago!, July 17, 2004
What a gem of a book! My wife (very wisely) bought this for me at a homeschool convention. Even though it is a short and easy read, this book packs an incredible amount of good advice between its covers. Todd "You 'da Dad" Wilson has a knack for speaking to the homeschooling dad in a way that creates empathy for the homeschooling wife in a funny but succint way. He really makes you feel like he's been there with you and knows your struggles, and he offers great suggestions in a way that makes me want to really help my wife.
A great book to give to others who are homeschooling -- I'll need another one to replace mine when I wear it out from reading it so many times.

5.0 out of 5 stars review from a homeschooling mom, November 26, 2004
Sue (Fishers, Indiana) - See all my reviews
Todd is one of the funniest writers I have ever read! He has a true gift and luckily we are all able to benefit from that. I bought both of Todd's books for my husband and ended up reading them too. I found myself laughing all through the book. We now get his weekly emails, and even though it's for dads, moms get a lot of it too. It is refreshing to have a voice out there helping dads (and moms) be the best they can be. So if you want to have a laugh and read something that makes you think about the priorities of raising your kids, read Todd's books. You won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Timing, July 15, 2004
By A Customer
This book was excellent and spoke right to my heart. Todd used words and prases that actually kept me awake without all the religious jargon and Charlie Brown's Teacher's voice (wah wah wah waaaaah). I highly recommend this book to all Homeschool Dads. You 'da Dad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Advice to Help Home Schooling, July 15, 2004
John Hardacre (Noblesville, IN) - See all my reviews
I've read Help! I'm Married to a Homeschooling Mom and it is a great book for men who naturally don't think of the obvious. It has made me more aware of help that my wife needs both physically and emotionally as she is buried in homeschooling day in and day out. It has also helped me with some practical things I can do to assist in the homeschooling effort that I hadn't even considered. It's an easy read (for those of us that hate to read) and will be a huge blessing to your family, particularly your wife. I'd recommend the book to anyone. It's definitely worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost didn't pick it up ... glad I did., July 14, 2004
Chad P (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
I met Todd at a HS convention, I was walking by the table when the title of the book caught my eye. I laughed and commented, "That sounds like a dangerous book around here." Thinking it a joke book at mom's expense. Boy was I wrong. It is the kind of box that challenges you without you even realizing it.
It is funny, witty, and easy to read but hard to put down.
BUT don't let the cute comics fool you, it is also real .. very real. Todd shares a lot of deep things in a very enjoyable way but he brings it close to home .. real close.
It is one of those books that causes you to want to be a better husband, better man ... a better Dad, because as Todd is known to say "You Da Dad"
You also need "Reflections of a Father's Heart" but I warn you. It is also easy to read but it will tug at your heart something fierce.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Current or Potential Homeschool Families, July 15, 2004
Christopher W. Bates (Saint Charles, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This book is a lighthearted look at father's role in a homeschool family. Because it is lighthearted it is a quick, easy read. But don't let the lightheartedness fool you. It tackles the issue of the father being the head of the household, thus the head of the family's homeschool movement, with biblical references to back it up. I feel that Todd Wilson hit a home run with this publication. As I mentioned in the title, this is a great resource for the family that is currently homeschooling or the family that is pondering the idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple thoughtful advice, July 15, 2004
This book is great easy reading but with insightful advice. I enjoyed reading a quick chapter when I had 5 min to spare and then thinking about how to apply that chapter in my life for the rest of the day. The cartoons are very funny also. I recommend this book for all homeschool Dads. We need all the help we can find!

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!! A must read for homeschooling dads. "you da dad", July 15, 2004
Michael LaVigne (Coshocton, ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This book is a great insight for dads in a homeschooling family. Its nice to know that their are other men out there having the same issues. The author hits the nail right on the head. He makes you wonder if he has been a fly on the wall in your house. I am looking forward to seeing more books from him.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›