2,616
The Help (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo)
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$9.75 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 2,103 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
on August 12, 2011
"Oscar season", as it's typically referred to, is a period of time, usually beginning in late November, and ending in late January. This year, it starts early, with "The Help".

"The Help" is based on the well-known novel by Kathryn Stockett, someone who I had never heard of before discovering this film and book. For the most part, when I hear about a film that I want to see, I try to read the book prior to viewing the movie, to enhance the whole experience. Usually I get bored, or stop mid-way through one of these said books, before I end up watching the movie.

But "The Help" grabbed me. Stockett kept me on a leash, dying to know what happened next, and I ended up finishing its 530 pages in a few sittings. And, I'm glad it did, because "The Help" is not only the best movie I've seen this summer, but it very well could be the best one I see all year.

The film centers on Aibileen, Skeeter and Minny (Davis, Stone and Spencer, respectively) three very different women in Mississippi, in the year 1962. Skeeter is returning from college with a journalism degree, whose beloved childhood black maid Constantine has disappeared, and no one will tell her where she has gone. Aibileen is a maid who has raised 17 white children in her life. The word "maid" is pretty blandly used. She's a nanny to these children, if not a surrogate mother. Her outspoken friend Minny has never been able to keep quiet, or, because of this, hold onto a job very long, and she is hired on the sly by Celia (Chastain), a white-trash rich girl who has some grave secrets of her own. Skeeter decides to write a tell-all book of interviews from the maids of Jackson, Mississippi, which, as you could imagine, was a very taboo, and perhaps even illegal thing to take on in the time of Jim Crow, and segregation.

One of the reasons that this film succeeds is that not a single character is miscast, and there is not a single caricature. In the book, Stockett paints a vivid picture of each character, and the actors clearly got lost in their characters. Emma Stone is becoming a very important actress. I haven't seen her in a role that I didn't love her in. After getting her first notable role in 2009's "Zombieland", and then livening and carrying the otherwise bland teen comedy "Easy A", this is her first dramatic role, as Skeeter, one of the lead characters. While she sometimes blends into the background in this movie, she shines beautifully with the rest of the cast. She's definitely one to watch.

While Stone is great, this movie belongs to Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer. Davis's Aibileen is perfect. She has a silent sadness about her, a lot of pride, and a great sense of anger, her expressive eyes displaying a silent protest, while never raising her voice the whole film. She handles emotional scenes beautifully, reducing the audience to tears in more than one scene. She's a early in the year front-runner for Best Actress this Oscar season.

Spencer also does a beautiful job as Minny. Octavia Spencer was the original inspiration for the character of Minny, who voiced the character's section in the audio-book. She was clearly made to play this role. She does a lot more for this movie, than just adding comic relief, however, she does plays the comedic side the best. The "terrible awful" that her character does in the book, is made into the funniest thing in the whole movie.

The supporting cast is dead-on too. Bryce Dallas Howard plays the town's snobby ringleader, Hilly. She's absolutely chilling, nailing the evil character. Her mother, played by Sissy Spacek is a hoot. The town's secretive lush, and Minny's boss, Celia, is played by scene-stealing newcomer Jessica Chastain, who wowed earlier this year in "The Tree of Life". She was completely like I envisioned her character in the book. Chastain would be perfect to play Marilyn Monroe. Just saying. There's not enough typing space in this review to describe how much I loved the rest of the supporting cast. Everyone was dead-on.

I was under the assumption that this would be yet another disappointing film of a book loved by many. The reason for this was the director and writer. I had never heard of this Tate Taylor, and because of that, I wasn't sure that I trusted him. He had a large part in making this movie all that it was. One of the big reasons that "The Help" works as a movie is because it feels authentic. It was filmed in Mississippi, where it's based, it is set in the 1960's, and every feeling about the movie hits the right note.

I later discovered that Taylor was a childhood friend of the book's author. Not some Hollywood hack. I forget the many disappointing film adaptations of books I loved that were made by the Hollywood elite. "The Da Vinci Code" by Ron Howard, "Memoirs of a Geisha" by Rob Marshall, "Eat, Pray, Love" by Ryan Murphy. Enough said. After seeing this film, I couldn't imagine anyone better-suited to making the film.

What is special about this film is that it is not what a lot of people will probably write it off as. It's not a film designed to make audiences feel less "white guilt", and it isn't about how black folks need white ones to succeed. It's about good-hearted people wanting to make a change to a world that is unjust. It avoids the usual sentimentality and melodrama that typically plagues this kind of film. I don't know how, but it succeeds in that, like I thought it wouldn't.

While some changes are (intelligently) made from the book, it's almost a scene-for-scene adaptation of the book. Some things are different, because they need to be, and things are a little more concise, yet it's almost like watching an abridged version of the book, onscreen. It will stir up emotions in you that you didn't know you had. At the ending of this film, in a packed house, there was a thunderous applause. Almost everyone in the theater stayed seated through out the ending credits. I cannot remember a time where a movie evoked such emotion from its audience, that it wasn't until after the credits had ended that people actually started walking out. This is gripping stuff. Don't miss it.

Grade: A+
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 13, 2011
"The Help" works as well as it does because it doesn't offer easy answers. This lovely and sometimes extraordinary film is not concerned with big sermons about clivil rights, religion or easy to swallow messages. The film is simply about behavior; how we should act, morally, towards other people, no matter who they might be. This thematic line is structured nicely throughout the film by zeroing in on a select group of people. This was a smart move since the backdrop of the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s is just too large a subject to truly flesh out in a 2 hour film. Because the film is about actual characters instead of predisposed, prepackaged lessons, the audience can take with them what they choose from the story (none of the characters have a major epiphany, each just starts to become aware of their behavior and effects, both good and bad- they all have so much more life to live). Surprisingly the film rarely gets melodramatic, and when it does it almost seems cheep and easy. Thankfully the films few flaws (structure, pacing, some silly dialogue here and there- "You broke her heart...!") can be overlooked due to the tremendous performances. Each actress is exceptional in their own ways with the wonderful Viola Davis stealing the film. Emma Stone is reliable here as always and proves that she can be funny and carry dramatic weight in the same film. I have always considered Bryce Dallas Howard to be a very accomplished actress and hopefully her scathing, pointed work will be recognized. Octavia Spencer and Jessica Chastain find a tender chemistry all their own. I have to say that "The Help" really, truly surprised me. I have never read the mega-selling novel from which it's based but I can tell you the film is a beautiful testament to American history and is a great display for some truly fine acting. For those who are turned off by sermonizing, preachy, obnoxious message movies (like myself), "The Help" is far from that. This is a tender film about real emotions and a subject that is rarely discussed in film today.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is an amazing movie. I just finished watching it a few minutes ago and my emotions are still reacting to it. After hearing a commentator talk about it, I had almost decided not to watch it, but I'm glad I did. I'm old enough to have lived through the time period covered. What I observed as a small child was only the tip of the iceberg. This movie brought out so much more that I just hadn't noticed or thought about. While the movie itself was done in an entertaining manner, I just have a sick feeling. I don't think I'll ever forget some of the scenes.

I recommend the movie, and that's the bottom line.

Years ago I got my first job, downtown, when I was 16 years old. The job was too hard for me and after a couple of days I was let go. As I waited for the bus in the department store lounge with a dozen or so other people, I picked up the phone and called my mom. I could only blurt out the words, "Mom, I lost my job" and just started crying. Nobody else in that room said anything or reacted. A very large black woman jumped out of her chair and just came over and held me while I cried. She kept saying, "Oh, you poor sweet little child. You sweet little angel." That woman was the first black person I had ever been close to, and I immediately loved her. She and her family are still in my prayers today, many years later. Now, after watching this movie, I have so many thoughts about what her life was like back then. She was in the same position as the women in this film. She had to know that I, a little white teenaged girl, had so many more job options than she would ever have, but she took the time to comfort me with everything she had to offer, and it was a great blessing to me.

I'm going to be thinking about The Help for a long time. It hit me right in the gut! What an amazing movie!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Now we see this film wins award nominations aplenty. Biggest winner was the public. Leads of Davis and Spencer that stole the spotlight. DVD to own, not rent.
The only drawback with the DVD is the sparse bonus material. 4 min. of 2 deleted, and a 5 min. music video of one of the film's songs. Pathetically weak bonus, but then it is a 5.5 star film. Everyone asks to borrow our copy, I should have bought 2.
Oh yes, there are SUBTITLES.

We attended the opening matinee; we'll view it again, that good. Is `The Help' the soul of 60s era race relations? This worthy film based on Kathryn Stockett's #1 best-seller is equally a first-class view as true for the read. The story of 3 daring Mississippi women is as absorbing as any you'll see this year. The plot is writing a book which attempts to tell the truth about B/W relations in the city of Jackson, between wealthy whites and `the help'; but doing it anonymously. Without being fired or lynched.

There is humor in the way the Jackson Belle socialites operate, and eventually react to the book publication. Bryce Dallas Howard is the personification of Bad Girl, Hilly. Although beautiful, I loathed Hilly in the film and book, as you are supposed to. And Jessica Chastain (Murder on the Orient Express) has all it takes to be the scene stealer while playing Celia. Truly believable!
Humor erupts in how the help secretly reacts to their treatment. There's sadness at some injustice.
Viola Davis plays a slimmer/sexier Aibileen than was my mental image while reading the book. Octavia Spencer is right on as Minny. Both girls pack their roles with perfection.
The film has intrigue through the months of secret interviews.
There's a mystery related to Skeeter's (Emma Stone) own childhood maid's story, which is a larger part of the story in the book.
Skeeter, Aibileen, & Minny are the key book writers. The casting is near perfection. Should be some Oscar nominations someplace.
Some other stars too, like, Sissy Spacek, Cicely Tyson, & Mary Steenburgen (Proposal, Joan of Arcadia).

I remember reading the book and doing it as quickly as possible toward the end; and praying that all the `help' have a happy ending, but expecting some casualties. With the movie, it is evident when the story is climaxing, and then you just wish that you could make it last another hour or two. An excellent story, but then we all knew that from the book.
It is a tribute to the story that you forget it is fiction. How much is real, a docu-drama of the early 1960's of the south (& north)? We need reviews from the real-life `help' of the early 60's. Only they know!

If you view only one film this year...this should be it. See it soon, & as the film's dialogue states, "Before the whole civil rights thing blows over." That line brought a theater audience LOL.
As Aibileen believes, quoted from the book, "We done something brave and good here. And Minny, maybe she don't want a be deprived a any a the things that go along with being brave and good."

`
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 15, 2011
I just came back from the theatre after seeing this incredibly emotional,
humorous, and multi-leveled film performance.
This whole film; from the acting, to the direction,
the writing, EVERYTHING!!---Top of the line all the way!
If this movie doesn't win some Oscars, then I'll know that whole awards thing is BS, pure and simple.
The 9 other reviewers (so far) have all pretty much covered all the bases from every perspective of what
can be said about this film. All I have to say is that "THE HELP", will go down as a modern day classic.
"The Color Purple", "The Secret Life Of Bees", "Divine Secrets Of The Ya-Ya Sisterhood", "Fried Green Tomatoes"...
This film is definitely in that echelon of films for sure.
Kudos to Viola Davis, Emma Stone, Octavia Spencer and Jessica Chastain...
on August 12, 2011
I laughed to the point of embarrasement. I cried a little too. And in between I fell in love with this movie. Set in Jackson, MS at the cusp of the civil rights movement, this movie delves into the lives of southern women back then. It shows the ugly reality and insidious nature of racism back in that day. But it also shows the real love and friendship between the help and the babies they raise. It also shows a glimpse of what was and was not acceptable choices for women to make with their lives back then. I loved the music, the clothing, the decor, everything seemed very acurate(according to my mother), including the racism in the south. With excellent acting and all of the above, I urge you to go see this movie!
VINE VOICEon August 15, 2011
The Help is the best film I have seen this year. This film is about the examples of accepted racism in the early sixties, but it is also about the friendship between women. I like the way director Tate Taylor deals with both subjects equally well.

There is a very beautiful song included in the movie. It is entitled "The Living Proof". It is performed by R and B singer Mary J. Blige. This is such a moving song about enduring hard times but still having a sense of dignity about life. The soundtrack also includes classic songs by Chubby Checker and Frankie Valli, but the new Blige song is definitely the highlight in regards to the music.

The performances by Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer are excellent. They are two black maids who both work for white families. They cook, clean and raise other people's children. These maids do their jobs do their jobs with such dignity. I admire these fictional characters. They seem like real people to me. These actresses bring the characters of a novel to life on screen. Emma Stone plays an aspiring writer who documents the experiences of these two women in a book entitled The Help. Bryce Dallas Howard plays a racist white woman. Jessica Chastain plays another white female character with a much softer heart. Sissy Spacek gives the movie a humorous element with her performance. I laughed and cried watching The Help. The Help is an excellent film.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 7, 2012
My grandmother was in high demand as a cook, nanny, wet nurse, house keeper while working in South Carolina for white families from 1910 - 1940's. Cooking, cleanning,scrubing wooden floors, making startch for the clothes that had to be ironed, washing, bathing their children (of course with our "diseased" hands) but yet we carried diseases and could not even use their toliets??? Come on!!!What kind of foolishness is that?!!!!! Yes, even on Christmas she would have to leave to go cook for them and then return home to her own family to cook. Yes, my grandmother has told us hundreds of stories of how she would sing to their babies while rocking them to sleep in her arms as this type of life style was repeated all over the South and parts of the North as well.

It is not a well kept secret, but this is the first time I can say the truth is being told...yes it may have taken someone from the other race to help "put it out there", but that was the insturment that opened the eyes of the world regarding the struggles of "colored" maids/help.

I thank God for "The Help" and the cast waS SUPER!!!!! My daughter gave me the dvd for my 63rd birthday this past January and I simmply can't stop talking about it. I just loved it!!!!! There are movies that I watch over and over again and this will one of them. Of course it brought tears to my eyes and I so often thought of my grandmother.

Movies that get picked for the Oscar are the ones that come out in the late Fall, but this was out in the summer and for it to make the list - says somthing about the film. I will be watching the Oscars (along with my grandchildren)and rooting for the wonderful cast. Holding our breath, with our raised sparkling white grape juice in our fluted champaign glasses listening for, "...and the Oscar goes to..."
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon August 18, 2011
Everyone should be able to find something to enjoy about this movie, but you have to grow up in this culture to fully appreciate the nuances of this film. I remember as a child of seven or eight (in the late 50's-though the movie is set in the 60's), beaming with compassionate pride as I handed a mentally challenged, elderly, black man who did lawn work for my grandparents a pair of long johns. My aunt had purchased them for him and they often gave him hand me downs or small items. That day he was poorly dressed and the weather bitterly cold for the South. I remember that his calloused hand felt as cold as stone when he took the clothing from me. Looking back I never questioned that I was told to let him into my grandfathers freezing shed and turn on a tiny space heater so he could undress and put on his new "warm" clothes. Giving him the clothes was saintly, letting him into my grandfather's special domain kindly, letting him into the warm house to dress simply wasn't done. I never knew where he lived but it was as if this cold world was his comfort zone and we were not required to change that.

This movie captures beautifully those kind of condescending social assumptions prevalent in parts of Louisiana and Mississippi. It was an assumption of superiority maintained in innumerable small acts of "kindly" diminishment. I still remember my mother saying that my aunt's maid, who raised her five children, stole socks. However, since she was a good maid my aunt let her "get away with it". I never knew whether this tale was truth born of poverty or the purest fiction driven by a need to enforced the social distance between them. My guess is that she found most of her socks the first time here washing machine was serviced and kept it to herself. In the end, long after her loyal servant was too old to work, she was forever remembered "fondly" as the sock thief. It was as if that made it okay not to wonder what she was living on in retirement.

This assumption of moral superiority is driven home in the film when a young maid who "doesn't know her place yet" asks her rich employers for a loan of $75 dollars so she can send both of her twin sons to college. She offers to work for free until the money is paid back. The woman tells her that won't be working for free because she owes money and "the Lord" intends for her to earn it on her own. She ends my assuring her that one day she will thank her for this moral lesson. In the end the maid finds a ring long lost behind a couch and pawns it. Since no maid should have a ring like that, the authorities are called, the ring traced and maid arrested with no consideration given to the real magnitude of the crime.

The Help, successfully renders southern paternalism with accuracy, sadness, warmth and even humor. The film captures relationships bounded by a lack of any obligation to avoid harm and the assumption that those of the lower social order fully accepted their place and wanted nothing more. Moods simply do not have to be contained by those who have the upper hand and it is more important to be seen as "in control" of another human being than compassionate. We see this in a scene where the young writer's mother fires a servant who has been with them for a lifetime. She does this because a group she is entertaining feel she is not properly "controlling" her servant.

In the end, aside from the young writer, Skeeter, who tells the story, it is the socially ostracized "white trash" homemaker of the group who first breaks with tradition to offer humane treatment to her maid Millie. This is followed by the writer's mother who is ill and perhaps has little to lose at this point. Skeeter leaves to find her fortune far from home, an all too familiar story common to those young people who don't fit the Southern mold. But the story does not end on a sour note. What is won in the end is not the outward freedom which is still decades away, but an inner wealth that leads the audience to applaud the human spirit as the credits role.
on October 6, 2011
I got a package in the mail recently. I opened it and there was a book, The Help, and a note from my son, Radford; "Mom. This book could have been written by you. All of the stories you told me growing up, are in this book. Enjoy. Love, your son, Rad."
Needless to say, he was so so right. I was born at the Jackson Infirmary, Jackson, Mississippi, in 1943. The book spoke to me all the way through. My Nanny, aka the maid, was Daisy Bell. Her niece, Winnie Bell, would fill in when Daisy Bell was not able to come, or when Daisy Bell needed extra help.
I remember sitting on the counter tops watching her baking cakes, pies, and other sweet goodies including the sweet tea, complete with sprigs of mint, she grew in the back yard, and real lemons, cut in the most precise wedges. (To this day, no matter where I am, the lemons have to be that precise wedges. My elder son, Jay, picked up this lemon fettish also.
To this day, I can remember the smell of the REAL vanilla and REAL almond oils that she used in her cooking, and when she dotted these delicious scents behind my ears; and at the time, that truly did smell just as good as a heavenly scent of the finest of fine and expensive perfumes. My mother always wore Shalimar perfume and I compared Daisy Bell's oils to that.
Unfortunately, I related to the kids who were treated with such hate and verbal abuse by their Mothers, and as was I, comforted by our maid and my Nanny.
Kathryn Stockett's rendition of the South in the 40's, 50's, and 60's, in Jackson, Mississippi, could not have more accurate. I read the book twice, saw the movie twice, and have pre-ordered a DVD for Radford and myself.
Thank you Kathryn.