5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive Advice for Owners of Fearful Dogs
Published on September 5, 2006 by Mychelle Blake

3.0 out of 5 stars It seems ok...
Published on October 9, 2008 by RarelyReviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive Advice for Owners of Fearful Dogs, September 5, 2006
Mychelle Blake (Henderson, NV USA) - See all my reviews
There are few books out there that assist owners with shy or fearful dogs, which can be one of the most frustrating and heartrenching behaviors for dog owners to deal with. This new book provides a wealth of information - from detailed tips on how to work with a variety of fear issues (noise, objects, thunder, etc.) to suggestions on "alternative" therapies such as using Dog Appeasing Pheramone, homeopathic remedies, Anxiety Wraps, pharmaceutical intervention, and much more. I highly recommend this book to owners of fearful dogs and to dog trainers/shelter workers/rescuers who regularly deal with shy and fearful dogs.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE book to buy for help with those fearful/shy dogs!, September 6, 2006
I highly recommend this book! I've been involved with Sheltie Rescue for 12 years, and we rehabilitate puppy mill dogs and unsocialized dogs which are always afraid of anythng and everything. Also, I co-teach a class for shy/fearful dogs at our local Humane Society. This is the first book I have found that covers EVERYTHING needed to know to work with or help these dogs! Plus, it's an easy read and humorous!

3.0 out of 5 stars It seems ok..., October 9, 2008
The other reviews gave me such high hopes about this book and maybe my expectations were too high to be honest but I'm not overly impressed so far. There's nothing really wrong with the book but it covers so many subjects that I felt details were skipped that should have been included and still I'm going to struggle to help my dog. The chapters that refer to particular fears are too short and are less about helping to correct the problem than they are about the background to the problem itself. Also the book says it can be read cover to cover or simply used as a reference book by users skipping to relevant chapters. That is not so. Really you need to properly read the first few sections before you skip to the section about your particular problem. Really it's no trouble to read around the subject but why does the book claim to be able to be used in this way??

On the other hand I think her advice is solid and there is certainly useful information in there, particularly if this is the first time you've even thought about trying to help your dog in this way!! I'm absolutely going to give it a go but I wish I had a little more guidance from the book that i purposely bought to offer myself guidance. In this review I want to point out the bad things about the book rather than list all the good things and there are already so many excellent reviews!!

On a side note, I was unimpressed with the author's habit of subtly (you probably won't notice it unless you've read the books by the authors that's she's doubting) belittling other noted dog experts within the book. This was unnecessary and a little petty. Surely most of the people she indirectly belittled are doing good work too and so if Wilde and the other authors are all striving for the same goals, only doing so in different ways, then surely mocking their theories only serves to taint the industry a little bit more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dream Come True Handbook!, September 19, 2006
Just when you thought you have read all there is on canine training and behavior, another book surfaces. Unlike the others, this one is about FEARFUL DOGS, written by Nicole Wilde, CPDT.

There are very few books dealing with this subject. What makes this book special is that it is really the first comprehensive *guide* on the subject. Being a professional trainer and behavior counselor, I was certain I was going to read the same, old same old. I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least. What makes Nicole's book so appealing is that it is easily understandable by pet owners. In fact, not only is it a *dream come true handbook* for owners of a fearful dog, it is definitely a thorough resource for training professionals, as well.

Written in a fresh and clever style, Help For Your Fearful Dog is the *Pepcid AC* for helping your pet overcome its fears. This book is a thorough compilation of "the many faces" of Fear. Nicole describes and discusses the various kinds of fear, what causes it and ways you can prevent it. In addition, this book helps the reader understand why a dog may perceive its environment, or people or objects as threatening. By using positive and dog friendly methods of behavior modification, Nicole provides step by step guidance, and what you need to know to ensure success in working with your dog.

The entire book is peppered with pictures as well as important and effective training tips. Another plus is the addition of actual cases of fear which helps the reader further understand what she clearly explains. In addition, at the end of each chapter, the readers will find a *tail end wrap up*, which recapitulates important points to remember. This is very helpful!

And if that is not enough, Nicole offers an exhaustive list of wonderful resources that you can avail yourself of for further assistance.

If you have any books on your wish list, this one is a must have!

Helen Hollander, CPDT

The Educated Pup, LLC

Lawrence, NY

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have if you have a Fearful Dog, December 4, 2006
Nicole sent me a copy to review months ago and I've owed this review for a number of weeks.

I have two fearful dogs and I love this book! Nicole breaks down what a fearful dog is versus an aggressive dog. We learn how to break down our dogs fears into recognisable signs and levels so that we can keep track of our dog's progress. She shows us the kind of charts that she used for her dog as well as client dogs.

Anyone who has read any of my other reviews knows that I love pictures and this book as plenty of them!

The book is broken up into three sections. There's learning up front on what to look for, some on nutrition and exercise. Then we learn about skills that we need to train our dog to have to be successful in carrying out the last section of the book - the various guides to dealing with specific fears.

As someone mentioned, Nicole also goes over medications - prescribed and alternative that you can use with your dog.

We enjoyed Nicole's visit discussing this book at CSDogBookReview in December 2006.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Useful, May 12, 2007
I have a 13 month old mixed breed dog, adopted from the SPCA. We don't know much about his past, but it's clear that at the very least, he was treated harshly. He is very timid and unsure of himself, and extremely sensitive to noise & motion. Underneath all that, fortunately, is a very sweet-natured and loving dog, and Wilde's book has been of enormous help. I have owned and worked with six very different dogs - including a rescue dog who was badly abused - Kei has been a unique challenge, but he is turning into a much more confident and happy dog, with the help of a number of suggestions from Wilde's book. She includes an enourmous amount of information, that runs the gamut from nutrition to pharmacological treatments, but without ever overwhelming the reader. One aspect I particularly like is that she does not advocate any one method or product; she presents the pros and cons (and gives resources for further study) and is quick to point out that what works with one animal may not work for another. I'd highly reccomend the book to anyone adopting a dog from a shelter, even if the dog doesn't exhibit problem behaviors, as well as to any dog owner who wants a good, practical resource on canine behavior.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, December 25, 2006
Nicole's book is a comprehensive manual for anyone who owns (and works with) fearful dogs. She outlines basics of desentization and counterconditioning, training, as well as complementary "alternative" approaches to help the dogs learn how to trust their owner and environment again. Once the dogs can trust that they'll be safe, then they can relax - and I am seeing this with my dogs as we are working on the concepts outlined in this book.

As for Lee Charles Kelley's review, to let the dog bark at his fears to cure him, I mean please, how ridiculous is that. Cursing at the spiders won't cure my fear of spiders. The methods outlined in Nicole's book are working for my dogs and me and we're having fun to boot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh no, Nicole wrote my book, August 31, 2006
As a dog trainer, I'm always looking for good books that I can recommend to clients whose dogs have difficult behaviors, and this book is one of them. I've wanted to put my own handouts in book form for some time, and now I don't have to -- I can refer them to Help for Your Fearful Dog, which is a great resource. The instructions are clearly written and easy to follow. Nicole offers solutions that not only involve training but also complementary therapies as well. There are many lists, photos, and diagrams which complement the text. The Tail End Wrap-Up which summarizes the salient points in each chapter is especially helpful. Nice job!

Caryl Wolff, CPDT, NADOI, CDBC

Miss Doggie Manners

Los Angeles, California

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensible, practical, effective, December 26, 2006
This book presents one of the most sensible, practical, and effective approaches to dealing with fear and aggression. It will be useful for both the professional trainer/behavior consultant and for the dog owner who should be able to work through the various exercises on her/his own. It is indeed 'comprehensive,' as advertised, including information on every aspect I can think of relating to the subject - and I'm a professional trainer and behavior consultant. I recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book For Owners of Fearful Dogs, June 24, 2007
This is one of my favorite dog behavior books in the last 5 years. As a dog trainer and behavior consultant, I have been recommending this book to my clients as a complement to their training programs. They love it! They are so glad to have a resource that they can share with family members and friends to help everyone better understand their dog. Nicole Wilde does an excellent job of presenting information in a way that is easy for the average dog owner to understand, but still keeps it interesting for the professional dog trainer.

I give it 5 stars and 4 Paws up!