Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2008 7:23:56 AM PST
Heather says:
we own the non-50th dvd edition of "the king and i" - and the song - not sure of the actual title - "Toads! Toads! All your people are toads!" is missing! Are there some versions from which it was cut, (or do i just have a defectived dvd?) and where do i find the original? All advice appreciated. Thanks - Heather.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2008 12:33:26 PM PST
Gerry says:
"Shall I Tell You What I Think of You?" was never in the final film, nor any video release. It only appears on the original soundtrack album, along with other deleted songs that were never in the final film. Your DVD is not defective; the song was never there to begin with.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2008 11:25:00 PM PST
Heather says:
Gerry, thank you. My clear visual of the song being sung must have come from the stage revival then many years ago. Most appreciated - thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2009 9:46:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2009 9:47:00 AM PDT
Kaye says:
I have just purchased this DVD and also was surprised that this song was missing from this version. I think its called "Shall I tell you what I think of you." It is included as an extra but is not in the actual film - I would like to know why it was missing. I see that Gerry said it was never in the original movie, but I remember it so am confused.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2009 1:04:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2009 1:05:33 PM PDT
No, E. Levene, you are not confused. It was in the original film, and on the original sound track recording. But when the movie was released on VHS, it was cut. Just as "You Have To Be Carefully Taught" was cut from the VHS release of "South Pacific". To much social implications, I guess. What a pity.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2009 2:02:59 AM PDT
Gerry says:
No - "Shall I tell you what I think of you" was cut before the theatrical release, as was "My Lord and Master". "I Have Dreamed" was also recorded, but dropped before filming. Marni Nixon once gave an interview about all the work she and Deborah Kerr put into "Shall I Tell You..." and how disappointed she was that it didn't make it into the final film.

Lifted from the IMDB:

According to the New York Times, the numbers were cut before the film's premiere. This is from the 1956 Times review:

"Most of the memorable numbers are here and are beautifully done, from "I Whistle a Happy Tune" to the zealous and rollicking "Shall We Dance?" And the few that have been omitted - the slave girl Tuptim's "My Lord and Master" is one, and another is Anna's acrimonious "Shall I Tell You What I Think of You?" - are not missed in the general extravagance of melody and décor."

As far as "Carefully Taught" from South Pacific, it IS in the VHS release. I still have my copy. What was cut from the VHS edition are the end credits and exit music.

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 4:52:06 AM PDT
E. Engelbaum says:
When will Fox finally release the blu-ray version of "The King and I" any word?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 3:27:02 PM PDT
Amelia T. says:
im dying to know this as well. besides the sound of music, which i have on blu ray, the king and i is the only other rogers and Hammerstein movie that i want. i like the others but i don't enjoy them as much as the king and i and the sound of music and i don't need to have them. im also wondering about marry Poppins on blu ray

Posted on Jul 17, 2014 10:13:36 AM PDT
Sakuteiki says:
The King and I [VHS] my VHS tape contains I Have Dreamed.
South Pacific [Blu-ray] the Roadshow version splices the restored digitalized theater release with a copy found in England of the entire original Todd A O release including missing scenes. Because the copy could not be digitized, it is very pale, almost sepia and jerky. It is obvious that two films are intercut together to create the longer Roadshow version. However the entire story is available.
FYI

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2014 11:16:48 AM PDT
Gerry says:
The King and I VHS cannot possibly contain film of "I Have Dreamed". *The song was never filmed.* Only the vocal track was recorded, and then the song was dropped from the production, before filming began. It was then later scored at Captiol Records when the elaborate Lp Overture, song intros, bridges, and other musical bits were recorded especially for the soundtrack album.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2014 10:12:08 AM PDT
Sakuteiki says:
To Gerry, you are right. I rewatched the VHS tape. The scene is for another song. There is no I Have Dreamed. Thank you
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Dec 28, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 18, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The King and I [VHS]
The King and I [VHS] by Yul Brynner (VHS Tape)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (565)