5.0 out of 5 stars Concise advice produced quick results

Published 21 months ago by Kenneth A Lee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise advice produced quick results, November 1, 2011
JB (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
Our six year old daughter has always been painfully shy in new situations to the point that it can prevent her from engaging in activities. Our first approaches of reassurance, expectation setting, and other suggestions gleaned from internet research never helped; however it only took reading this first chapter of this book to get several simple suggestions that made a huge difference. In fact we haven't read the rest of the book because using these tips (especially the "worry brain" drowning out the "calm brain" concept) we were able to help our daughter manage her anxiety. A month ago she clung to us every morning when we took her to her first grade classroom and had to be peeled off us by the teacher, sometimes in tears. Now she waltzes right in and I have to remind her to give me a kiss goodbye. She still gets shy in new groups, but the paralyzing fear is gone and we have tools to deal with it if it arrives. We may have only read a part of this book but it was money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource for Parents and Therapists, June 7, 2011
I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker specializing in the treatment of Anxiety Disorders. I have purchased at least 10 copies of this book because I am always loaning or giving it to parents. Dr. Rappe explains the different types of Anxiety Disorders in a very informative, understandable, non jargonly manner. Most importantly, the book is very hopeful about the benefits of treatment for anxiety. There is also a free downloadable workbook which teaches cognitive behavioral strategies through activities and worksheets. I have found "Detective Thinking" to be especially helpful to my clients. Also, the book presents Exposure Therapy (in my opinion the most effective treatment for anxiety) in a clear and easily implemented manner. I have used the "Step by Step" handouts in my clinical work with both individual and group clients. Dr. Dawn Huebner's books are also terrific resources for parents and therapists, especially "What to Do When You Worry Too Much", "What to Do when you Dread Your Bed", and "What to Do When Your Brain Gets Stuck."

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't help with my child's anxieties, March 11, 2013
So I bought this book because my 7 year old son is plagued with unrealsitic worries (i.e. heart attacks, brain attacks, guns, death, "going flat," injections, skin melting . . . to name only a few). We have worked with a therapist, but I thought this book could help in-between sessions. While we use the exercises about realistic thinking and this is helpful, the crux of the book is using "step ladders" to lessen kid's fears by exposing them to the discomfort of their fears slowly and thus desensitising them (for example, a kid who obsesses about making a mistake at school and looking stupid, slowly works to purposefully make innoucous mistakes so they can realize they can handle the discomfort; there are also stepladders that work well with separation anxieties.) I don't know how to make "stepladders" regarding death, guns, injections and the like, and although the book acknowledges that anxiety disorders will cover a lot of unrealistic fears (and they give an example of a child afraid of being kidnapped from their bed), it ignores them in the sample exercies, and I have not figured out how to do stepladders for guns or skin melting without having child protective services pay me a visit.

So if your child suffers from social anxiety, separation anxiety, OCD, this book is helpful. Otherwise, not so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great resource!, March 28, 2010
Amazon Customer (Hampton, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I am a therapist that works with children and I find this book to be a jewel! It helps parents to learn how to help their children outside of the therapist's office. It also does a great job of explaining anxiety in non jargon terms and know where to go with your anxious child. It also has a workbook that you can down load for free to work with your child! I work with more elementary school kids so some of the exercises and words were a little advanced. However, with some creativity you can scale it down. I felt this is more geared towards middle-school age kids. However, I really liked this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars really helpful, September 16, 2011
This book is really practical and helpful. Its already proving invaluable for us and our wee one is only five!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful program, March 10, 2014
This review is from: Helping Your Anxious Child: A Step-by-Step Guide for Parents (Kindle Edition)
This book really helped me with my 8 year old daughter. It's full of easy to implement strategies that has given me tools to use when she's becoming overrun with her own thoughts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, December 27, 2013
This is a very practical book. I am half way through and love it. Have not put the tips to work yet but will do this when I get through the whole book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, June 8, 2013
Great book for helping your child deal with anxiety. Has exercises that help your child control the anxiety. Would definitely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'll be recommending this to parents, May 11, 2013
Great tips for parents, and easy to understand. If you work with kids this is a good resource to keep on your shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to start the discussion, August 2, 2012
This version is so much easier to utilize than the last version of this book. The workbook is quite an added bonus.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›