Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: J.A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL Fine Edge Synergy 17-pc Knife Block Set
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on November 25, 2007
i just got this set for my new apartment, and overall, i'm really happy with it. the knives are very sharp, ergonomically well designed, and look pretty on the counter. that being said, you should know that this set is not one of the higher quality henckels sets - a fact betrayed by the price. they are very light and somewhat delicate, so a bit difficult to weild with control, and poorly suited to cutting through tougher material such as bones. of course, some may find light knives convenient, but i would have preferred heavier blades and handles, especially on the bigger knives. the santoku knife was the most disappointing because it was thin and very light. the rest are fine as they are, and cut with great precision, especially given the price. there are a few of extra slots in the block, which, while strange, came in handy for my old homeless knives. also, the set pretty muuch covers the range of needs and preferences for cutting absolutely anything (except bone-in chicken/fish, since the knives are a bit delicate). if you're not looking for a lifetime keeper set, then this is a great set for you. i really love mine, and plan on keeping it until i can splurge on a $$$$ set.
0Comment|128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2008
I've had these knives for several weeks now and have to say I'm impressed. I did quite alot of searching before settling on these-and I'm glad I did. The quality is excellent,they are sharp and easy to use, and the set-though there are a few empty slots to add to it later-came with every type of knife I need. I pride myself in my cooking-I make everything possible from scratch and cook several meals a day, and I can't imagine a scenario where I'd say "if I only had another knife".

I see myself getting many years of use out of these. They come with a rod sharpener so that I never have to see them dull, or send them in anywhere to be sharpened. The block is sturdy and looks good with my kitchen decor.

I was leaning toward cutco brand before I decided on these, but I just couldn't justify the price of cutco. I'm not disappointed, I think I got more than my money's worth out of these.

One thing I have to add about other reviews I read before I bought these....I almost didn't get these because so many people complained until I saw that most negative comments were about the rust factor. ANY chef's quality knife is going to rust if you don't take care of it, it's actually a sign of the type of metal that good knives are made of.
If you are looking for a set of knives that you can throw haphazardly into the dishwasher, or leave lying around in the sink-these are not for you!!!

These must be hand washed after use and dried completely by hand with a cloth-that's why you see professional cooks constantly wiping their knives on an apron or towel as they work.
For best results, you're going to have to sharpen these about every half dozen uses, especially if you are cutting something like tomatoes-world's worst wear on any knife-of if you're cutting board is made of anything besides wood. It doesn't hurt them to sharpen them as needed, and better safe than sorry-a dull knife is a dangerous knife.
55 comments|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2007
About six months ago, I was walking through the discount knife section of a local department store when I saw this line's santoku and vegetable petty knife on sale for $20. In the world of cutlery, $20 is nothing, so I bought them just to see what it was like. It quickly became one of my favorite knives in my kitchen. The factory cutting edge is a little lame and overall the line feels too light to do much heavy cutting work (i.e. frozen meats, chicken bones, or thick vegetables). On a positive note, with some time and love, the edge can be ground down to be extremely sharp (enough so that I use it to cut tuna for sushi in my restaurant). Like any knife that I like, I take it to my restaurants kitchen and try it out to see how many days it can go before I need to regrind the edge. Surprisingly, it held up for an entire week without needing to be resharpened. In short, for the money, you would be hard-pressed to find a better knife.
22 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2008
I bought this set to replace a set of bargain knives i had that were rusting. I never put this set in the washing machine, hand washed only. Didn't matter. Started with small rust spots on even unused knives within a few weeks. Now i have to scrub knives to remove the large rust spots, small ones don't come off.

Aside from the aesthetic looks, this is just as bad as the $30 or cheaper sets. I live in Hawaii, so perhaps humidity had something to do with this. But i see no difference from this set and the bargain ones.
66 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2010
I looked at the reviews here and was skeptic at what people were doing with these knives to let them rust right away. Now I know that if you do not wipe these down every time you cut something, they will be in danger of rust.

I bought these paranoid of rust, and after an hour or so of use on the board, I had rinsed it off and dried with a clean paper towel. Sitting next to the sink until the next day, and hand washed this knife, I had put it away. No more than 3 days later, I grabbed this knife once again only to find rust spots in at least 4 places. I scrubbed to see if they were only surface Iron rust defects to only find out that they will not come off.

I had also seen the comments about quality in thickness, and was still surprised at the flimsy quality out of the box. I know that not all knives are strong or have a good feel, but these felt as cheap as steak knives at Denny's.

What a horrible experience for what I thought was considered a great knife company. I have not seen this poor of quality in items bought at locals stored for ~$30 sets.
on May 22, 2008
I can't give a pro's take on the knives but I can def give a college student's view.

The knives are lightweight and they've cut everything I've needed to cut so far. I haven't sharpened them since I've had them and they still cut my veggies and other random foods. If you're a professional chef then you're probably not looking at these knives anyways.

If you're a college student with a budget then these are the best looking knives for sure. I have a condo that's decked out in modern motif and they fit right in. I love finding products that are sleek yet functional. There's no shame in wanting functionality AND style.

I hand wash them and that's just my preference so I couldn't say if they're dishwasher safe or not. I've had no rust or water spots on them.
The blades are sharp enough to cut your household groceries.

The only thing that bugs me is that there are 4 open holes in the block. I haven't the slighest idea what knives are missing. The middle block is square so I'm thinking that's for a pair of scissors. I emailed Henckels and asked so if I get a response I'll let people know what knives will fit what slots.

That's another problem I had. I couldn't figure out which knife went to which slot. The slots aren't contoured so some of the knifes are loose in their slot.

Again, this isn't a pro's view...it's just an average consumers.
on February 18, 2010
Bought this set about 9 months ago and couldn't be more disappointed. The quality is poor, the knives are light and flimsy, and they began rusting almost immediately. Even with minimal use, the knives have dulled to the point that we don't even use them anymore. Not sure how they got the J.A. Henckels name on them, but they are crap and a complete waste of money.
on January 4, 2010
I thought getting a set of Henckel knives meant i was getting quality. Nothing could be further from the truth, with this set at least. Two key problems: One, the knives have begun to rust in spite of the facts that they are hand washed and dried each time they are used and they are only about 3 months used. Two, they have gone completely dull. Not a quality product, and I will not buy Henckels ever again.
on March 3, 2013
These knives started rusting almost immeadiately after purchase - even though the description and box said stainless still. I washed them by hand and dried them and put them away and they STILL rusted. Definitely not worth the money and I would never buy JH Henckels knives again.
review image
on February 22, 2012
Being one of the largest and oldest manufacturers of kitchen knives in the world, J.A. Henckels certainly knows what they're doing. These are sleek and beautiful on the counter top, and will slice right through anything you throw at them. YES they are fine knives so NO you can't put them in the dishwasher, and if you do you will get an undesired result. The steel is soft and thin enough to be sharpened and re-sharpened for years and years of use in your home...consequently...it will rust easily. They need to be cared for specially, hand washed and dried individually after every use. It was also recommended that we buy a nice butcher-block style cutting board to use these on, and never EVER use them on plastic or glass cutting surfaces...which we haven't. If you want to buy ONE set of knives and keep them for 10 or 15 years or even more, you're going to have to pay a little extra attention to what you're doing.