Published on September 16, 2010 by O. Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate to be the negative review but....
I read the first one had mixed feelings the story was left hanging so I hoped the plot and tone would improve with this one.

Published on March 22, 2011 by f8hopelove

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spellbinding Mother-Daughter Historical Novel Grounded in God's Faithfulness Through Life's Storms, September 16, 2010
*****
I just finished reading this amazing book, the sequel to "Her Mother's Hope" (part two of a two part series called "Marta's Legacy"), and it was an unforgettable experience. The entire story (both books) follows family relationships, especially mother and daughter relationships spanning four generations. This second book, covering the time period from the 1950's to today, is even better, I think, than the first book (if that could be possible), as many loose ends are resolved and there are surprising conclusions. You find out what happens to the people you loved from the first book. Although this book was almost 600 pages, I hated for it to end. I felt as though I was so involved with the families and I knew that I was saying goodbye to their lives forever, although not to the lessons I've learned from them.

This is Christian fiction at its best, with fascinating historical details throughout and with events seen from the intriguing perspectives of the women of different generations. The voices change in both books, moving from mother to daughter (not alternating, but moving at a certain point--the first book covering Marta and Hildemara Rose and the second covering Carolyn and May Flower Dawn) so as a reader you have the opportunity to get to really know each of the women. All four of the women are in this second book. The theme of both books shows how imperfect people do their very best to be loving and yet sometimes their beloved family members just aren't able to see that love and misinterpret it. Sometimes, if we are blessed, the misperceptions can be corrected and so much healing can take place, with God's help. Through everything that happens to us, God's love is always, always there.

The two titles are taken from this sentence in one of the womens' journals: "I have lived out my mother's hope and pray I have given wings to my daughters' dreams." Each of the women in this two-book series tried to do this their own way and with God's help. This is a book that you will not be able to put down.

I suppose that it would be possible to just read this second book without the first, but I wouldn't do it. I would miss out on all of the pleasure of understanding the older women in the second book, of being familiar with their lives and of knowing why they were the way they were--how traumas and wounds had made them that way. I would miss seeing how they changed and grew over the years. I wouldn't see how profound it was that mistakes of one generation are passed down to subsequent generations...I would miss the richness of this incredible series. Read both.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Saga Part 2, September 17, 2010
This review is from: Her Daughter's Dream (Marta's Legacy) (Hardcover)
After I finished reading the first book in this two book saga, Her Mother's Hope, I knew that September 2010 could not come fast enough for me to be able to read the sequel. The first book was exactly what a Francine Rivers book should be and I knew that I would not be disappointed when I finally got my hands on this book. Luckily the wait between books was only a couple months. Like the first book, it's over 500 pages but believe me, they fly by really fast. The first book in the series focused on Marta and her daughter Hildie. This book focuses on Hildie's daughter Carolyn and her own daughter, Dawn. The story starts in the 1950s and continues through each decade until the present day. It's a really interesting look into American history and culture.

The main focus of the book is how due to Marta's past mistakes at how she chose to raise Hildie, this has now become a trickle effect with future generations of the family. Four generations of these women have dysfunctional mother/daughter relationships and they don't improve over time. It is sad how these women missed out on so much because for whatever reason they chose not to show love to their own daughters. This book focuses on Carolyn and Dawn and their journey in trying to rectify what almost a century has wrecked havoc on their family. The story is written beautifully and in Rivers' trademark, characterization is deep and engaging. I really felt that I was a part of the story and found myself engrossed completely.

As I did with the first book, there were times when I got really annoyed with all the characters. Marta, Hildie and Carolyn were all reacting in ways that were harming their relationships. I just wanted to insert myself into the story and pretty much yell at them for not realizing how they were all hurting each other. It was heartbreaking to see history repeat itself due to mistakes the women had made. Hildie was doing to Dawn exactly what she had seen her mother do to Carolyn. This kept driving wedges between the mother/daughter relationships while the grandmother/granddaughter relationship thrived. I got frustrated with how everyone was acting and it was just really sad that some things didn't get resolved.

Without spoiling the story, I'll just say that the ending is not a completely happy one. While things do get wrapped up, they aren't wrapped up neatly. I was actually a bit surprised with what happened. It could be seen as a bit dramatic but realistic as well. I didn't expect a happy ending. There are several scenes in the book that are a bit hard to read. One of them involves child molestation. It is an uncomfortable scene but is not graphic. Another involves a condemning church. This one made me angry at the people in the church who thought they were all holy when really they were nothing but hypocrites. Other topics such as how Alcoholics Anonymous can be beneficial is also brought up as well.

Overall, I would call the two books in this series as an epic. It spans four generations of this family and shows how the relationship between mother and daughter was broken and repaired. The family is dysfunctional, to say the least, and things weren't always happy but under it all they loved each other. The story is also a really interesting look into American history. The first book looked at American history from an immigrant and first generation children's point of view. This book takes it from the viewpoint of children who have always grown up in American and get to experience the privileges of their citizenship to the fullest. They reaped the rewards that previous generations had worked hard to achieve. It's really hard to sum up this book in a small review so I would recommend that you just go out and read it for yourself. These books are some of Francine's best and I would recommend them for all mothers and daughters to read and then discuss. HIGHLY recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Story by Francine Rivers, September 21, 2010
This review is from: Her Daughter's Dream (Marta's Legacy) (Hardcover)
Our book club read Her Mother's Hope in May and I was anxious to read Her Daughter's Dream as soon as it came out. I finished it in record time because I just couldn't put it down--I finished it last night at midnight! I am convinced that everyone can find something to relate to in this story. Mother/daughter relationships, expectations from yourself and from others, dreams shattered/changed, God moving in ways you didn't know existed, and the list goes on.

I love how Rivers has a way of making her stories come to life. I felt like part of the family and just had to keep reading. We traveled through so many important moments in this book - not just important for the characters, but for our country and the world. It made it that much more interesting. I love and appreciate how things came back from the first novel and we were brought full circle. I laughed, cried, got excited, and felt anticipation througout the book. The character relationships caused me to think about how I treat others and how I look at myself and my dreams. I adore May Flower Dawn's character and everything she is in the book.

I highly recommend this book, and every Francine Rivers book that I have read thus far.

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate to be the negative review but...., March 22, 2011

Rivers was my favorite author (loved lineage of grace series) until this series. I hoped it would be more about faith. I could get through the rape of the teen girl in the first book since it did not dwell long though it was upsetting. However there is something vial and demented to reading the rape of a six? year old girl through her own eyes. I hate to spoil? it for anyone though I did not get past the first few chapters because I felt as if my heart was ripped out.

It has been so long since I've read redeeming love, atonement child and the mark of the lion series but rape and sexual abuse seems to be a popular subject she uses. I'm aware it's life but this one just pushed it too far for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars warning there is sexual abuse in this book, October 31, 2011
Irnbru4u (outside seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This is hard for me, as I love Francine Rivers. All I ask is, is that there was a hint of what some of the subjects was going to be about. And this is mostly the reason why, I only give this book a 2 star.

WARNING - this review, has some outline, not in detail about child abuse.

I couldn't read past, the horrific account, IN A 6 yr old OWN WORDS of sexual abuse. First the start of the sexual abuse, then a more non descriptive part. But then reading about the rape. And then straight afterwards, about the horrific abuse of the father - lifting a fist to her, threatining her so much she soiled the bed. I know the latter it was implied he was sorry, but I 'hated' him at that point (the sexual abuse wasn't by the father). Although it was so mild to what went before. But it was just one thing after another. And I put the book down and HOWLED at how many children have to face that.

I have a vivid imagination, and I can't get past the images/description out of my mind.
The author has such a gift of painting word pictures, and has always managed to walk the fine line of not sugar coating the horrific world we live in, and then God's truths. And I am not even saying she crossed the line, the number of words she used regarding the whole thing, was quite short. But if there was a heads up that this was a book that contained child sexual abuse, I wouldn't have bought it. I wanted a 'nice' book to read before bed but instead was so disturbed. And the difference it made that it was in the child's own words was big!!

Many people will find it well done, but if you are very sensitive to the subject, or don't want horrible things in your head, then I am giving you fair warning. I just thought it would be like the first book, but it seemed to jump the daughter and go straight to the grand daughter. So I didn't really like it from that point either.

I won't be finishing the book either. Not because it isn't well written, it is but because of the above comments.

2.0 out of 5 stars Depressing story!, December 27, 2010
This review is from: Her Daughter's Dream (Marta's Legacy) (Hardcover)
I am a huge fan of Francine Rivers but did not like either of these books. I found the characters to be self-absorbed and uncaring...until it got to May Flower Dawn. It took way too long in the book for issues to be resolved and hated the ending! Left me feeling blue and wishing I hadn't spent the hours reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Her Daughter's Dream: A Message of Hope, December 30, 2010
This review is from: Her Daughter's Dream (Marta's Legacy) (Hardcover)
Books can be medicine for the soul. Her Daughter's Dream is certainly just what the doctor ordered. This novel is the second and final book in the Marta's Legacy series, and picks up where Her Mother's Hope left off. We are introduced to Carolyn, Hildie's daughter, and May Flower Dawn, Carolyn's daughter as the saga continues. As the story opens, Marta has just moved in with Hildie and her family to help care for them while Hildie recovers from her bout with tuberculosis. Because she is contagious, the children must remain ostracized from Hildie, and Carolyn, in particular, takes this very hard. She seeks out her grandmother, Marta, for comfort and nurturing. Hildie sees how close her daughter is becoming with her mother and this jealousy further fuels the bitterness simmering in her heart toward her mother, Marta.
As Carolyn grows older, she grows further and further apart from her mother, Hildie, and once she leaves home, begins living a life of promiscuity in the counterculture of San Francisco. Upon a chance encounter with a Christian woman, Carolyn is encouraged to return home after being estranged from her family for the last couple of years. She decides to do so, and upon returning, discovers she is pregnant. Hildie now is in her mother's shoes, and cares for Carolyn's daughter, May Flower Dawn, and the two become closely attached. Like her mother before her, Carolyn resents Hildie for stepping in her place, but does not know how to communicate her feelings to Hildie. Thus the dysfunctional cycle between mother and daughter continues. Resolution seems out of reach until dire circumstances force these woman to band together for the greater good of the next generation, making "her" appearance toward the end of the story.

Very rarely does a work of fiction come along and tackle the unspeakable, emotionally-charged controversies of family dynamics. Because Rivers herself can identify with such issues, her writing is accentuated by her personal experiences, making it all the more attractive and believable. As she paints the backdrop of each plot and sub-plot in vivid, historical detail, the characters and scenery come alive. As we read, it is almost as if we are standing there amongst the throng, readily identifying with the events taking place because they are so momentous to our society and culture. Finally, Rivers calls us to action. She compels us to let go of any pain and anger that may exist in our own lives toward family members and the like. Through the restoration of the four women in this story, we learn that unconditional love can bridge the widest of chasms and that even the most estranged of relationships can be salvaged in the wake of God's mercy and grace.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Rivers' best, but still a fine addition, March 3, 2011
M. Carlson (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Her Daughter's Dream (Marta's Legacy) (Hardcover)
In 2004, my mother gave me the Mark of the Lion series as a Christmas gift. At the time, I was a disappointed. "Ugh," I though, "Why in the heck would I want to read such drabble?"

"Wait," my mother said, "just give this a chance . . ."

Bored with my winter vacation, I finally cracked open the first book two days after receiving the set. Seventeen hours later, I set down the last book, sated. I'd gone on a reading binge. That was not what happened with this two part series.

Like I said in my previous review, no one can deny what a brilliant writer Francine Rivers is. The woman is amazing with plot lines, and an interesting read. She writes simplistically, but somehow it's sophisticated. She manages to get difficult plot points across without confusing the reader. Most of all, she is a compelling author, possibly one of the best Christian writers of all time. Perhaps she's one of the best writers that I've ever read. Her Mark of the Lion Series was supreme. This short series was not.

In the second part, Francine Rivers focuses on the daughter and granddaughter of Marta. Once again, Rivers emphasizes the dissidence between the characters, the lack of respect that the younger has for the elder. Once again, Francine Rivers enjoys beating the reader into a bloody pulp, trying to make a point.

I, the readerly, get it! Color me flabbergasted, Rivers makes the point over and over again that without communication and trust in God, good relationships cannot exist. Got it! Rivers is great, but the over-proselytizing and emphasis on communication skills was annoying.

However, I still needed to complete the last book, which speaks to Rivers as a writer. Although, not her best, still the book is better than much of the reading material that I consume on a daily basis. Rivers is a great writer with fantastic ideas and amazing appeal. She is a quality writer. Although this is not HER best, she is still one of the best writers out there today, Christian or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some dreams do come true, September 24, 2010
Melinda Lancaster "dontfaint" (Spring Hill, TN United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Her Daughter's Dream (Marta's Legacy) (Hardcover)
Her Daughter's Dream, which is part two in the Marta's Legacy series, is the first book by Francine Rivers that I've had the pleasure of reading. A mere 20 pages into this 592 page fictional book I understood, without a doubt, why the author's work is award winning. I literally could not put it down.

Without being cumbersomely descriptive Her Daughter's Dream painted a vivid picture of a family saga which spanned four generations. To me, it felt much more like watching a movie than reading printed text. A great movie, I might add, with a heart-wrenching but powerful ending.

One of the strengths of this book is that it's main characters experience struggles which are common to many. It's not a far-fetched tale but a realistic story, taken in part, from the author's own family history. I found it emotionally engaging and was brought to tears on more than one occasion.

The message conveyed is one of hope and restoration. No matter where we have been or what we have gone through God has a plan to bring restoration to our lives spiritually, emotionally, and relationally. All He needs is someone who is willing to dream and able to believe.

I highly recommend Her Daughter's Dream and would love to read, part one of the series, Her Mother's Hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong with Francine Rivers, November 29, 2010
Kathy Copeland (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Her Daughter's Dream (Marta's Legacy) (Hardcover)
As always happens in my family we get really excited when Francine Rivers writes a new book and we don't buy the electronic version since we always pass her books around. Redeeming Love is still my favorite and the trilogy of stories that she wrote early in her writing career are my second favorite(A Voice in the Wind, An Echo in the Darkness and As Sure as the Dawn) but this one along with book one of this series are life changing as well. Your heart will be touched with any of Francine's books, I promise.

You can't read this without being forced to think about the ways that your attitudes and words affect the people that you love - especially your kids. We aren't responsible of course all of the good and bad choices that they make but it is so very important to build bridges instead of walls to our loved ones and it's very important to keep that in mind every day with every encounter. Choose words wisely and lovingly and keep bad attitudes in check as much as you are able. You can be a loving blessing to your loved ones or a stress inducing difficulty and it is always your choice.

Francine Rivers is an amazing author and I bet an amazing woman to her family as well. She has so much wisdom and we are all so lucky that she is willing to show us God's Love in a way that we can identify with.

Her Daughter's Dream (Marta's Legacy)
Her Daughter's Dream (Marta's Legacy) by Francine Rivers (Hardcover - September 14, 2010)
$24.99 $18.22
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies