5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked and wanting more!
"Her Own Devices" is the follow up novel to "Lady of Devices". Lady Claire is a fascinating woman who overcomes her upbringing, financial disaster and social restraints to find her own form of independence using the powers of her intellect and inventiveness.

Published on December 29, 2011 by Amy

3.0 out of 5 stars More action than the first
Things speed up in the second book of Shelly Adina's series - more action, more tension in the romantic relationships.

What I liked:
* Faster pace
* Increased character development. Book has plenty of characters, and Adina does a good job of developing all of them enough to be unique and enjoyable
* Gadgetry and science continues to be creative...
Published 8 months ago by A. F. Odom

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked and wanting more!, December 29, 2011
Amy (Brisbane, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Her Own Devices: A steampunk adventure novel (Magnificent Devices) (Kindle Edition)

I could not put this down once I had started it. The action keeps moving, the dialogue is sharp and enjoyable (I kept laughing out loud at Lady Claire's arguments) and Adina's Victorian London is rich and well made.

My only regret is that I now have to wait for the next installation in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Inhale 2nd installment fast enough, April 6, 2012
Read the first book and upon finishing the last word immediately switched to shop Kindle store and got this second book. These books are everything that's right about steampunk: fiesty, smart, independent [in this case female] main character, dire circumstances overcome by pluck, courageous actions backed with cleverness and a strong moral compass. The entire cast of characters are richly drawn and have individual voices. Great series. Only downside is we now have to wait for the third installment in what I hope is a long-lived series.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this, March 7, 2012
Amazon Customer (HUNTINGTON, NEW YORK United States) - See all my reviews
I started reading the first book and immediately had to purchase the second, I could not put them down. I am eagerly awaiting the third book. Lady Claire Trevelyan and her band of urchins are off again on adventures of science and industry that takes them to some rather unusual places. I was thoroughly intrigued by the latest developments in this book and absolutely loved that Claire is holding onto her dreams and is willing to fight for her future and those of her beloved kids. Excellent installment in this series.

3.0 out of 5 stars More action than the first, July 26, 2013

What I liked:
* Faster pace
* Gadgetry and science continues to be creative and fun

What I didn't like:
* Another abrupt ending, leaving book feeling unfinished to me. If you're going to read this series, you'll want the next book available when you finish each of them.

Would I recommend? If you liked the first, you'll like this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Breezy and Brash Adventure for Ladies and Gents, April 29, 2013
I devoured this series in barely more days than there are books (this is number two of four), so I have to give four stars simply for the compulsion they instilled in me to keep reading about the Lady. Claire proves herself to be capable, clever, and yet still a seventeen-year-old girl as she backs herself into the corner of a love triangle.

I'd not call this series a romance, however, any more than I'd say that about "Raiders of the Lost Ark." Sure, there is some romance, but there is also a prison break, an experimental breakthrough, a lightening gun, and an imperious hen named Rosie. Not every member of Claire's group is fully fleshed out, but you get a sense of the motley crew. Everyone needs a Tigg, in my opinion, and it would be awful and delightful to have my own pair of Mopsies. And Claire's suitors, James and Andrew, are nicely juxtaposed, with neither being an absolute villain nor paragon.

Be prepared to read through the night this stellar example of the steampunk coming-of-age genre (which is surely a thing). Very fun and highly recommended for a good, quick read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Her Own Devices (Magnificent Devices #2), April 27, 2013
Lauren Johnson (Santa Clara, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The second book in the series was just as engaging as the first and picks up where that book left off with Claire still trying to find her own way in the world. The enticing Victorian plot continues to grab the reader's attention with Claire questioning her actions and facing constant advances to reform her ways. Despite her successfully unorthodox ways, Claire is denied the praise she deserves because she is a woman. This creates a flow of tension and hopes for a different ending for Claire, and plays on the reader's emotional investment in her story.

I was provided a copy of the book by BTS eMag for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review - all conclusions are my own responsibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, January 19, 2013
I really like this series and highly recommend reading it. There's steampunky flavor, a fun heroine, and several interesting side characters...lots of action too. Great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this series!, January 28, 2012
Totally enjoyed the 1st book. Loved the 2nd one! Now I only have one question - where's the next one????? :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Mimsy, October 8, 2012
I'm a high school librarian and am always looking for good young adult fiction. I enjoyed the first book in this series and also this book. I'm a fan of Steampunk and ordered this for my Kindle. It was a very quick read and I purchased a book for the library. It has been very popular with teens who enjoy the Steampunk genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars First one hooked me, second one made me a fan --, February 6, 2012
How clever to make the first one only .99! Bought it on a whim, but loved it immediately. Promptly bought the second at slightly more money (but still quite affordable -- authors must eat too! And well worth it -- for the price of a rental movie I was engrossed for several evenings!) Finished the second, and eagerly look forward to the third!

ARRAY(0xd97725bc)