5.0 out of 5 stars surprised
This book was offered free on the kinle. The theory is that a free look at an author's work will make fans and they will buy the next book. It works about 10% of the time (for me) and this is one of those times.

Published on June 21, 2009 by Barbara Mcauliffe

2.0 out of 5 stars Kind of annoying
Published on October 27, 2011 by morehumanthanhuman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars surprised, June 21, 2009

I am not the target audience for this book at all. I am far from being a "young" adult, and magic and psychic powers leave me cold. But the main character in this book lept out of the page as a real teen with real problems.

The theory, about giving away a book to get readers, worked. I will buy more of Ms Halls books.

Thanks for the free read

5.0 out of 5 stars Teen Gold, January 22, 2009
Becky of Koby (Jupiter, Florida) - See all my reviews
Love's Magic

A slow but careful reader, I live a book. I cry, I laugh, I feel it. Always having a propensity to learn about senses of the sixth in any capacity, I love when ancient ritual meets modern life.
This seemless, witty teen book is an exciting read. The mom's mindreading, the great kid lingo, make it entertaining and true to a teen's way of thinking. As I read, it connected me with thoughts of scenes from movies such as Mean Girls, Better Off Dead, and X-Men. Add in the main female character in the Casper movie, and bad guys(or in this case, girls) Crabbe and Goyle from the infamous Harry Potter flick and you will be cheering for Rhiannon Godfrey right through to the end.
I thouroughly enjoyed this book and am particularly glad that Traci Hall left enough ends up in the air for a sequel. I will be looking forward to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Surprise, June 27, 2009
Janc "Janjic" (Grants Pass, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Her Wiccan, Wiccan Ways (Rhiannon Godfrey) (Kindle Edition)
Like many of us, I downloaded the "free" book for my Kindle. When I started to read it, I was caught up immediately with the characters, the story line and the fun read. I even ordered the next two books before I finished the first one. They do not disappoint either. I am way past the Y/A age but think this is fun for all ages.

2.0 out of 5 stars Kind of annoying, October 27, 2011
The concept of a teenager, raised Wiccan, rejecting magic because she has more confidence in her paranormal powers is an interesting one, a twist on the usual type potential conflicts around religion you might expect to see between a questioning teenager and her faithful parents. Rhiannon, the main character, has documented paranormal powers and has more confidence in her teacher and mentors (who are paranormal researchers) than she does in her mother and father's faith. As the book played out, however, it felt more like the author was trying to just "stack" powers for her young heroine. As she went past her rejection of Wicca and began exercising her telekinesis, clairvoyance, and casting spells on top of that, it felt over-the-top. If she is this powerful at fourteen, what challenges can really lay ahead for her? It began to feel more like a X-Man type situation than something that was really relatable.

I found the characters to be really predictable and there were few surprises. Melody is a Native American girl who seems to have problems with her mother and issues with being Native American. She turns out to be just that. Bonnie seems to be a sweet girl who would look nice if she just took some time with her appearance. She turns out to be just that. Janet seems to be incredibly cruel with no real motivation. Again, she turns out to be just that. If you think something will happen in the first chapter of this book, you will turn out to be correct. I wish the author had spent time setting up at least one or two characters or situations that turned out differently than expected.

The conclusion of the book was too neatly wrapped up. Spoilers: the adults knew all along what was going on, paranormal powers effortlessly save the day, the boy knows the "worst" things about her and likes her anyway, and Crystal Lake isn't so bad after all. It was like the author was saying: "All those problems I set up - fooled you, they aren't really problems!" It may be relatively standard for YA literature, but for this adult reader, it was annoying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, July 20, 2009
Rhiannon Godfrey has problems. Her parents just moved the family from Las Vegas to a small town in the state of Washington. Her fashion-forward style doesn't exactly fit in with her new classmates. In fact, Rhiannon seems to be the only person in town who is not walking around in cowboy boots and a belt buckle the size of a dinner plate.

On top of that, a ghost is living in Rhiannon's new bedroom and needs help unraveling a 100-year-old mystery so she can cross over. There's also a snotty group of girls at school who delight in making Rhiannon's life difficult. The fact that she possesses psychic powers that aren't completely under control doesn't help.

Rhiannon keeps fighting the urge to use her powers to teach the mean girls a lesson. Sure, catching their hair on fire might feel good for a minute, but Rhiannon's mom would be so disappointed.

HER WICCAN, WICCAN WAYS is an entertaining paranormal adventure. It leads the reader through both the everyday high school agonies of friends, clothes, and boys, while adding exotic supernatural experiences and a pair of well-meaning Wiccan parents. It makes for a fun combination. Just when you think Rhiannon has a handle on her complicated life, an unexpected wrinkle pops up to push her back to square one again.

I enjoyed this book, and I liked the characters in it. I appreciated the fact that some of Rhiannon's problems were obviously someone else's fault (popular girls being nasty, for instance), while others were of her own making (not telling anyone about the evil spirit in her closet, for example). Regardless of how the problems landed in her lap, though, Rhiannon made an effort to deal with them.

Of course, if she had been my daughter, I would have been furious that she tried to handle so many dangerous things on her own. I had to keep reminding myself that this is the nature of YA books. No one wants to read about the teenage main character's parents solving all the problems. The teens have to be as independent as possible. Even if that's sometimes hazardous or scary.

I recommend this exciting book, and I think it will especially appeal to readers who like stories about ghosts, the paranormal, and trying to fit into high school life. It's got all that good stuff, along with a spicy touch of romance.

Reviewed by: K. Osborn Sullivan

4.0 out of 5 stars A super read with engaging characters, July 14, 2009
I picked this Kindle book up when it was offered as a free book. (I pick up most free Kindle books even when the genre is definitely not my thing - as was the case here.)

Ms. Hall has created a teenage protagonist whose language, thoughts, and behaviors remind me very much of my own daughters. The plot, and subplots, were interesting and realistic.

I'd thought to read the first chapter just because it was there, but kept reading through the end to see how the characters developed and interacted with each other.

I'll look forward to reading more of Ms. Hall's work in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very appealing YA novel, June 26, 2009
Fluff can be Fun (Arlington, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I don't know why I have started reading more YA novels recently, but I am impressed with the quality of many. This one did not disappoint. I gave it a try because it was free and now I am willingly going to pay to get the follow-up books. I thought it was well written and compelling.

It is about a girl who is moved to a new place where she is most definitely the outsider. Different religion (wiccan), different way of dressing, city girl in the country, and the popular girl hates her. It should be very cliche, but I came to really like the characters. I want to find out what happens to them.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Quick Fun Read, October 13, 2009
This is not a great work of literature. The plot is fairly routine and there are several items left dangling at the end. However, I was desperate for a fun read after slogging through several classics. This fit the bill wonderfully. The characters are likeable, the writting is simple, relaxing and straightforward, and the plot is fun if not plausible. I really enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, July 18, 2009
Like a lot of people, I got this book for free on my Kindle. It's a young adult novel, but well written and an enjoyable read. I liked the characters and the setting. The kids were portrayed pretty accurately, at least as far as teenagers can be.

The book wrapped up a little too quickly and neatly at the end for me, but other than that, I quite enjoyed it. A good, quick summer book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a very young YA reader, January 8, 2013
This is an innocent paranormal adventure featuring a 14 year-old protagonist. I don't recommend it for adult YA fans, because it is too simplistic for older readers, but I wouldn't hesitate to give it to brand new (i.e. tween) paranormal fans who aren't ready for the blood, guts, and sexuality found in older works. That's not to say that Rhee doesn't brush up against evil, or have a sweet crush, but it all happens within boundaries that are appropriate for her age group.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›