Natural Cosmetics. BDIH Certified Natural - Going beyond the talk
LOGONA has been a strong supporter of the European movement to define and regulate the term natural personal care ("Naturkosmetik"). Consumer confidence had suffered over the years because of its
rampant misuse by manufacturers. To address this problem, the German trade association BDIH worked diligently to define the border between natural and conventional personal care products. The BDIH formulated a set of guidelines to which products must comply in order to receive the BDIH Seal of Approval. Manufacturers must submit their nominated products to an independent laboratory for analysis. If the lab results comply with the guidelines, the product receives the BDIH Seal.
The BDIH current minimum requirements to receive the BDIH seal of approval follow.
The BDIH also recommends compliance with the following supplemental criteria:
- full ingredient disclosure
- avoidance of genetically-engineered ingredients
- environmental responsibility regarding raw materials, manufacturing, and packaging
- social responsibility regarding domestic employees and with 3rd World suppliers of raw materials (Fair Trade)
1. Botanical Ingredients Use of botanical ingredients whenever possible is encouraged. Plants should be grown organically or wild-harvested, although consideration is given for alternatives based on quality and availability.
2. Animal Protection and Animal Testing No testing on animals, whether conducted by the manufacturer or outsourced to a third party, is permitted at any time. Ingredients not on the market before 1/1/98 may only be used if they were not tested on animals. Ingredients already on the market that were tested on animals after 1/1/98 are disallowed.