Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on January 23, 2014
Before I start talking about this product, let me give you a little history about myself and Wen. I'm super picky about my hair products, especially shampoo and conditioner. I've tried everything from the super expensive stuff to the cheap stuff and everything between. I started using Wen exclusively back in August, and loved it SO much. My hair was super soft, looked fantastic, and my hair color lasted better than it ever had before. I went through a RED phase for a few months and it NEVER faded with Wen. Crazy. But spending $30 a month on Wen was getting ridiculous, so I started researching other Cleansing conditioners. I am a review junkie, so based on what I saw, I tried RenPure (from Walgreens) and was horribly disappointed. It was thin and just overall gross. Not even on the same playing field as Wen. Then a few weeks ago, I saw an ad in a magazine for the Herbal Essences dry shampoo, looked it up on Amazon, and saw that there was also a Cleansing Conditioner. With all great ratings, I decided to try it out. I was still skeptical, but as you can see from my 5 stars, I love it! It smells fantastic, has the same great thick consistency as Wen, and literally worked exactly the same, only better. My hair is less frizzy than it is with Wen (I have to blow dry it, it's too cold to let it air dry) and is still super soft! Love this so much!!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2014
I've been using Wen for over a year and, until now, have not found anything that came close. I have tried any and all other cleansing conditioners that I could find, but they either left my hair dry, greasy or some strange combination of both. I decided to purchase (16 oz for $6.99) as I read some good reviews about it online and was pleasantly surprised. I've been using this for almost two weeks now with great success, and my hair is just as clean and conditioned as using Wen for a quarter of the price. I'll definitely buy this again.

The only comment I might make is on the usage. The instructions on the bottle say to use between 3-4 pumps total. Wen recommends about 8-15 pumps for each wash. I have long hair (mid back) and with Wen, I typically used 3 pumps for my scalp and 4 for the rest of my hair and would then repeat this, which I believe gave the best results. Perhaps I'm used to using Wen, but I did not feel as though 3-4 pumps were enough, and used about 7-8. I did experiment by both washing only once and washing twice and my hair felt the same after both trials, so now I only wash once.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 5, 2015
I have been using Wen for four years now and recently it's just become cost prohibitive to spend that much on shampoo. I saw this on Amazon randomly, while purchasing some vitamins and thought, for the price, I will give it a try.
As I said, I've been using Wen, another sulphate free, non foaming cleansing conditioner for four years, so I know the routine. Herbal Essences isn't as good as Wen, but it's still worth a try. I find that it doesn't clean as well, and is harder to rinse out. Also, the fragrance isn't as sophisticated as Wen, it's a bit fruity and juvenile for my taste, but that is a minor point, in my opinion.
If you don't want to spend the big bucks on Wen or you're just curious, give this a try. It's a good starting point for people who want a sulphate free shampoo who have dry or normal hair. If you have really oily hair, I'm not sure you'll get the results you're looking for.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)

Thanks so much for your honest feedback on our Naked Cleansing Conditioner from Herbal Essences. Wen is a big deal right now, so we appreciate being compared to such a successful product! While this may have more conditioning agents in it, we generally don't suggest using this as your only form of shampoo or conditioner. This product works best when used in between your regular shampoos. For example, I shampoo my hair every 3-4 days, so on the second or third day, when I'm not in need of an abrasive shampoo (because I also color my hair), I use this! It gives me just the right amount of cleansing required at the time. I surely hope this helps!

on February 17, 2014
This stuff is awesome! Having used Herbal Essences in the past, I knew it would smell good, but I was really impressed by the quality of the actual cleansing/conditioning it offers. After years of wanting to try WEN, I finally bit the bullet and bought a trial pack last summer. I loved everything about it except the price, especially because I'm on a new baby budget. After searching for alternatives online, I happened upon this and got excited to try it. My friend and I both have mid-back length, thick, wavy/curly hair, and we both tried this after having used WEN for awhile...and we both love it just as much! I use a little more than the directions call for (I use about 7 pumps instead of 3-4), and I follow up up with a half-pump "leave in conditioner" after rinsing (just like WEN), but other than that I use as directed, and my hair feels clean, soft, and smooth for 2 days between uses :) I highly recommend this to anyone who has been using WEN or wanting to use it, but just can't afford the price tag.
on October 7, 2014
Let me start by saying I am not a Wen girl. I always wanted to try it, but was unwilling to pay 30 a month for cleansing conditioner. I did some research and purchased this based on all the Wen converts who reviewed it. I am a review junky so I had no hesitation in ordering it. However, I am also a bit of a risk taker given the reviews that said that it wasn't for fine hair. I have incredibly fine straight hair that falls to the bottom of my shoulder blades. Some of the other reviews on this said it wouldn't be good for my hair type. However, Wen claimed to be for all hair types so if this was a competitor, then it should be as well. This is my first experience with any type of cleansing conditioner so I didn't really know what to expect. It comes out feeling like conditioner ( no duh right ) and doesn't lather at all. The instructions say to use 3 to 4 pumps and wait a few minutes to rinse. If you pump it out slow, that's true, but if not you end up using 8.I left it in the whole course of my shower ( 10 mins) . It was incredibly hard to rinse out of my hair. It took a few minutes to completely wash it out and I was still afraid my hair was going to dry oily. To my surprise, my hair felt so soft and even had more body. I think is is going to be my pick for life. And as an afterthought, it doesn't have a strong smell. It reminds me a great deal of the stuff they use in my salon.
on January 11, 2015
About a year ago I started using cleansing conditioners instead of shampoo + conditioner. I was very skeptical about trying them, because I have really oily skin and hair, but I couldn't be happier with this type of hair care product and I will *never* go back to shampooing again! Ever.

In terms of my needs (for your reference) - I have oily skin/scalp with fine hair that would look really grungy, even the next day. I never understood how people could just not wash their hair *every single day* because if I didn't mine was horribly limp, clumpy and greasy as early as the next morning upon waking. In addition, probably because of over-shampooing, my hair strands themselves would be dry and brittle, especially at the ends. Basically my hair and scalp were a mess. I tried everything from expensive to cheap to natural to chemical-laden degreaser type formulas. Nothing worked and the balance of degreasing scalp to moisturizing ends to not weighing down the fine hair was a ridiculous dance that I never mastered. Until cleansing conditioners came into my life!

I saw an article about cleansing conditioners and what they could do, and I decided, "Why not? What have I got to lose?". At first, even reading the directions, I didn't "do it right". After tinkering with my methods the results were amazing right off the bat, but over time my hair's condition further improved. I now don't have as greasy a scalp, and with powder I can extend a shampoo a couple days. Also, my hair strands and ends are no longer dry or brittle. One product now does for me what I couldn't get two or more to do in all my life!

This is probably something that people need to adjust to suit their needs, but I do this to make these products work:

1. At the very beginning of your shower time - Really wet the hair with warm water.
2. Apply plenty of product. (Better too much than too little!)
3. If needed, continue to dampen hair further - by briefly placing head under the shower head and massaging scalp/strands - while applying product to be sure the hair is *completely* saturated by water and product.
4. Use finger pads to deeply massage the product into scalp and double check strands are coated, too. This is key, because you suds up your shampoo to clean out the dirt and oil. If you slap this on like a conditioner it won't get a chance to clean.
5. Let the product penetrate while you do your other shower things. This is like the conditioning time, and leaves the hair soft.
6. Lightly dampen hair, massage again for a moment and then rinse thoroughly. This may take a bit longer than shampoo or some light conditioners, but thorough removal is key to not having limp hair.
-I typically rinse with warm water, to get all the excess product out, and then finish off with a cool burst to close the cuticles for shine.
7. That's it! Enjoy your wonderfully clean hair and scalp!

I have tried a few brands so far, in attempting to find "perfection" or, in the case of this product, out of necessity. I normally go for more natural types of products, but I was out of my former product and it was out of stock. Herbal Essences Naked Cleansing Conditioner at least is no parabens, etc. So I tried it out and was quite happy with it. Here are my thoughts:

-Very, very inexpensive! This doesn't even count that you won't be needing conditioner or as much conditioner, or any of the other products you may be able to reduce or omit from your beauty regimen. (Note: It may cost less at the store than on Amazon, where beauty products seem to get a "convenience" markup. At my local bargain department store [Meijers] this cost ~$5-6.00 and wasn't on sale.)
-Reasonably pleasant faux-floralish [aka typical Herbal Essence] fragrance. (This is subjective, of course, as all fragrance is. You may hate it! Who knows?)
-Pleasing creamy and thick texture. It feels more substantial than *any* of the other cleansing conditioners I have used.
-The pump is well-designed for this type of product! Wow! What a concept! It is large with a wide opening which allows a perfect amount of product to be dispensed so you don't have to pump-pump-pump! 8-10 times for even your fine/short hair. (I use one pump for my front scalp. One for middle back. One for lower back. And sometimes another one or two if needed.)
-No parabens, sulfates or colorants.

CONS: (Very subjective!)
-Not as natural as I would like it to be, but that may not matter to you. Without going too overboard, I *try* to buy from companies that have an eye towards being less impactful to the planet's bottom line, i.e. organic, or natural as can be, not tested on animals, socially and environmentally responsible product, company and/or parent company. In fact, I usually avoid Proctor and Gamble, but had mistakenly bought this product in haste while shopping with an impatient male family member. I may not buy it again purely for that reason alone, but impartially considering the results from the standalone product - I found that Herbal Essences Naked Cleansing Conditioner made my hair/scalp feel great and I would choose it over shampoo+conditioner any day of the week. In fact, if not for the Proctor and Gamble part, I would definitely make this my favorite cleanser for its smart design, great value and effectiveness. I may choose to purchase again anyway for those reasons, but haven't decided. :-)

Maybe this is your perfect product? Best of luck! :'D

Update: Looks like you can get this for $2.50 as an add-on product now, which is a great deal! I picked one up, even though I had been on the fence about repurchasing. I mean at that price, it is cheaper than Suave or the cheapest grocer's generics. Even though I am not thrilled about the Proctor & Gamble part, I am on a budget, and sometimes we all have to choose our battles.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on July 9, 2014
I don't understand how this can clean anyone's hair. I followed the directions to a T--and even experimented with different methods people had posted on here--and nothing. My hair never felt clean and it wasn't even that soft. I literally feel as though plain water would clean better than this. Also? The smell is crazy strong and isn't "natural" smelling at all.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Sara,

It's upsetting to hear your hair didn't feel refreshed and nourished after using this product. We're so sorry about that. Since your results aren't what we'd expect, we'd like to gather some additional information. When possible, call us at 1-855-236-3353. Our Hair Care Experts are ready to help Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Eastern Time. Make sure to let them know I sent you and you'll be well taken care of. We're looking forward to speaking with you, Sara!

VINE VOICEon October 13, 2014
I was surprised at how much I like this product because I didn't like Wen. The scent is not bad, but a little strong. It works great on my colored straight hair. I especially like using it when I'm in a hurry; one product! It really cleans my hair well and removes any dry ends. Highly recommended.
on February 24, 2015
First off, my hair type: Coarse, wavy-curly-kinky, super thick, prone to dryness, GRAYING(!), medium length.
Now: I have spent the past eighteen months experimenting with the "no poo" movement (seriously, I know; it just sounds Freudian and perverse. It needs better PR). In an attempt to control the madness that is my hair, I have applied baking soda, distilled water, Belgian yeast, apple cider vinegar, raw honey, avocado, nettle leaves, peanut butter, coconut oil, the essence of unborn kitties, and about a thousand other things onto my head. Faithfully, I tried so many methods from so many books, blogs, and sites; however, my hair did not improve. In fact, at one point, it became one giant dreadlock that brought about a hysterical crying fit. My hair moved as a stiff solid mass of tinder and straw.
So, flashforward to modern times: I have been using L'Oreal's Ever Curl Sulfate Free Cleansing Conditioner and, honestly, feeling like this entire pursuit to improve my hair via no poo is just a fruitless pursuit (the L'Oreal left my hair feeling gummy, heavy, and mos def not clean). As luck would have it, Target was out of the L'Oreal so my husband and I searched all of the shelves for an alternative. I was hesitant about using the Herbal Essence because I always (I'm not sure why) associate it with teenagers. But, it was waaaay less expensive than any of the alternatives so I decided why not.
I AM SO GLAD I DID: I have been using HENCC and am delighted (yes, delighted!) with the results. My hair is light and big and soft and, with a bit of Argan oil applied, my curls and waves are far more defined and my hair does not appear dry. I use about 8 pumps of the conditioner in total and massage it vigorously and make sure to saturate the ends of my hair. I work out regularly and sweat like a BEAST, and even after that, this product leaves my hair feeling very clean and smelling fresh. I can understand some having a problem with the fragrance, but it doesn't really bother me.
I do feel a little guilty because it is not as organic as I would prefer (I'm the crunchy sort), but you know what? My hair looks great and I barely have to waste any time to make my hair "presentable". I've never written a review before, but I felt I had to for all of my kinky-curly-frizzy headed sisters out there. (OH! and it's sooooo affordable!!)
on November 29, 2014
I have been using Wen for about a year now and never thought I would stray however the price is extreme and I hated that also wen sometimes left my hair greasy at the top and on the sides. I saw this at Walgreens and for the price decided to try it. Yall this product is amazing it's so easy to use pumps out well rinses well and after styling my hair have to say it's as good if not better than Wen (sorry Chaz dean) this product is the way to go I'm now referring this to my friends instead of wen if that says anything and I think the smell is heavenly. If your hair is greasy after using you may not be using enough product my hair is long and not too thick and I use about five to six pumps. I'm hooked. Loving the product and the price I'm hooked !! Please don't stop making this stuff!!!!