Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on March 29, 2014
Since I was a little boy I dreamed of having a pocket knife sharp enough to shave with. I remember when I started building my knife collection in my early teens, I spent hours sharpening and refining my blades, but only rarely got it sharp enough to cut hair on my arm, and even then it was very rough and hurt a lot and I couldn't do it often. Usually I just got lucky.

Then I found out about stropping. And that is where rubbing compounds like Herbs come in handy. I didn't even have to use leather. I just rubbed some of this peach colored compound on a piece of card board, and began stropping my M16, Gerber, and HIbben's back and forth and within a few minutes of work I was easily shaving hair on my arm and back of my hand. Not just razor sharp, but smooth. It didn't irritate my skin.

I imagine on a proper razor blade that this compound could restore even the dullest razor without the need to sharpen. The only downside is it does remove metal, but not nearly as much as a honing stone. You could probably use this stuff to put the edge back on scalpel and xacto/hobby knives as well.
on November 19, 2015
This stuff works great. I am new to "stropping" and found this online elsewhere and was reading the reviews. Seeking it out I found it here and ordered some. After reading some of the reviews and complaints about it being "hard" or "dried out" I didn't know what to expect. It arrived in the clear plastic tube with the yellow instruction sheet. It appears that they make a cardboard mold and pour this substance into it. When it dries, it has the consistency of sidewalk chalk. The only thing I could figure to do was to peel back the cardboard to expose part of the bar. I then tried to rub it onto my leather strop and there was nothing happening. The instructions were not really clear so I emailed the email address and asked them if indeed this was supposed to be this hard. They didn't reply for several days, meanwhile I tried my own thing. I got a razor box cutter and shaved bits and pieces of this off and onto my leather strop. Once you stroke the knife blade over it, the little chunks break down and spread across the leather. Once it did that, it worked beautiful. When I got the email reply, that was exactly what they told me to do. My guess is that this will last a VERY long time using it this way. It gives me a mirror finish on the blade edge.
If my review was helpful to you, please click the yes button below! :-)
on October 23, 2013
I love this compound. Not only does it work extremely well, I enjoyed the instructions that are included with the product. It's more than obvious that this guy is not only concerned with his product, he personalized his instructions to meet the consumers needs.
on November 18, 2013
Was somewhat hard to get out of the cardboard container without tearing it. More powdery than I thought it would be but seems to work pretty well. No complaints, should last me a long time. I use it on an old leather belt.
on June 21, 2013
I like my blades to be shaving sharp this yellow stone is just the ticket. Build yourself a good strop apply the yellow stone and start shaving.
11 comment10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2014
Excellent product. I am a fanatic for sharp working tools and this product when used with my leather strop gives an edge that must be seen to be believed. Absolutely sets a new standard. It could come in a slightly more usable form, say a sprinkle on powder rather than a hard block, but the effectiveness at finishing a sharp edge is literally amazing. For the cost of an old thick soild leather belt and a bar of this dressing you will be astounded.
on June 20, 2013
I've been using Herb's Yellowstone since it was really yellow. The late Herb Dunkle was a master knife maker, and I still have several of his knives.

I use Yellowstone both on a leather strop and on a buffing wheel. I have not found anything better.
11 comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 22, 2013
i use this product for knife polishing and stropping to get a razor sharp edge on my blades. works great i love this product would recommend it to anyone who wants a nice edge for their blades.
on April 19, 2015
This was my first stropping compound I've purchased and I should say that I am satisfied with it. I'm able to put a mirror finish (not completely mirror, but I am able to see the features of my face) on my knives and axe, which was pretty surprising. What I wish I'd payed attention to was the fact that a lot of comments said that this product wasn't meant to make a dull knife sharp, but to make a sharp knife sharper. Believe me, I've stropped some dull Mora's with a patina and this compound was able to make it cut recites, BUT it required about 5-6 reapplications of the compound and a lot of force to remove the metal. If I had the choice, I would buy a green stropping compound (with chromium) and use this one as a secondary finish.
on February 28, 2014
Was anxious to try this given the various reviews I had read on this product.
Applied some to my small leather strop, pulled all my folding knives and went at it. Within 30 minutes all now have edges worthy of a shave and all blades look great. Looking forward to making my larger leather strop and using Herb's for all my other knives plus a machete and an axe too.