5.0 out of 5 stars They work and they're inexpensive
Published on January 26, 2011 by Alan C. Hahn

Published 18 months ago by Jimmy the Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars They work and they're inexpensive, January 26, 2011
This review is from: Herco Guitar Humidifier (Electronics)
I bought one of these to put in my classical guitar case. My nephew just bought an $1800 Martin guitar and he also bought one. We each have different brands of hygrometers but they both read RH of 39% to 41% inside the cases. My house has 2 small room humidifiers going all the time in the winter which keeps the air somewhere around 30%. His apartment is dry as a bone with no humidification at all.He probably gets down to 20% when it's really cold out and he has the heat cranked up. Yet the humidity in our guitar cases is the same.

The reviewer who said they don't absorb water at all is wrong. I weighed the Herco on an electronic gram scale when I bought it. Dry, it weighed around 75 grams. After soaking it for 5 minutes in a bowl of water, it weighed 80-85 grams. Then I zeroed out an empty bowl and started adding drops of water. It turns out the Herco absorbs about a teaspoon or two of water. Not much, but all you need to keep the guitar in a safe range. After all, all those people that advocate putting a sponge in a plastic container with holes drilled into it always tell you to wring it out. After you wring it out, how much water do you think is left. I'd guess around a teaspoon. It just doesn't take that much to humidify such a small space. The humidifier that came with my humidor for tobacco measures about 3x8x6 inches. The humidity goes to 68%.That humidifier also only holds a teaspoon or so.

Bottom line, it's dangerous to put a humidifier inside the guitar. Much better to use a Herco. I resoak mine about every 2 weeks. When I first got it I'd check the weight of it, knowing that if it went back to 75 grams, it was dry. After checking that a few times I came up with the 2 week time span.

The absolute perfect humidity for a wooden musical instrument is somewhere between 40 to 50%. The Herco keeps it in the lower range of that here in wintry New England.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the trick, January 3, 2011
This review is from: Herco Guitar Humidifier (Electronics)
This comes without directions so it might be useful to know: the correct way to use this is to drop it in a cup of water for five minutes. Take it out, wipe it off, and pop it in your case! Repeat every few days. Will never leak. I like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product., April 25, 2010
This review is from: Herco Guitar Humidifier (Electronics)
My guitar stays in good shape using this humidifier. It is recommended by my luthier that has over 40 years of experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, January 6, 2013
This review is from: Herco Guitar Humidifier (Electronics)
Living in the desert, these are irreplaceable!

2 per guitar case keep humidity at 43% with no issues, refilling once in about three weeks.

3.0 out of 5 stars The only thing that makes this a guitar humidifier is the name, August 22, 2013
This review is from: Herco Guitar Humidifier (Electronics)
It is a very effective device for keeping a semi-sealed environment relatively moist. But it has no design features that make it well-suited for a guitar. My case has a little closed pocket under the neck of the guitar, but my tuner, capo, and strings do not require constant humidity. If I leave it in the main compartment it rattles around and gets caught under the guitar. To keep it from going bump in the night, I dropped it in a wool sock.

But it works and it's really really cheap, compared to the alternatives (like the gel-filled ones that cost ten times as much and get thrown in the trash when they're spent).

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit big for ukulele cases, but works., January 30, 2011
This review is from: Herco Guitar Humidifier (Electronics)
I know this is probably more for a guitar, but I have a few solid wood ukes that need humidity to be happy, so I bought this. You open the lid, submerge it into water for 5 minutes (you may see some bubbles escaping - that's cool), and then wipe off the excess water, close the lid and pop into your case. Do this once-twice a month and you're golden. Works well by me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, January 14, 2013
This review is from: Herco Guitar Humidifier (Electronics)
This is a very simple concept but does the job with keeping the moisture level in a case. Very inexpensive. Downside is that you need to remember to soak the humidifier every couple of weeks to restore the moisture once again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Protect Your Guitar Investment!!!, July 22, 2011
This review is from: Herco Guitar Humidifier (Electronics)
I bought 2 of these little jewels after having a very bad experience with my Ovation 6-string acoustic guitar. I was living in Victorville, CA (high desert) for 19 years and I never considered the very dry humidity effect on my guitars. One evening I heard a loud bang and a sound like 6 guitar strings breaking at once. What had happened is that the wooden bridge on my Ovation had dried out over the years and finally the wood just disintegrated and broke apparently because it had dried out so badly. It cost me a lot to get it repaired and took over six months for the luthier to find the correct matching parts and to remove the remains of the old bridge without damaging the guitar finish. He did an amazing job but I don't want to ever go through that again. I now keep the Herco Guardfather in with my 6-string and 12-string Ovation guitars and I believe that they do make a difference. A few years will tell for certain. I figure that the Herco Guardfather is an inexpensive insurance policy for my guitars and is definitely worth the investment. Just soak them in water for about 5 minutes every couple of weeks then pour off the excess, wipe off the case, snap it shut and put it in with your guitar. Could not be simpler. Sweetwater Sound has these for $3.99 with free shipping. That's where I got mine via the Amazon website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Herco, my hero!, June 24, 2012
This review is from: Herco Guitar Humidifier (Electronics)
I like these humidifiers. Works if you keep it with instrument in your case, and upkeep is minimal. Work on all strings very well, but be careful, easy to fall out of case, so just be careful!

2.0 out of 5 stars Better than nothing, but just barely, March 6, 2013
J. Landefeld (Pittsburgh, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Herco Guitar Humidifier (Electronics)
It's great that people are aware they should humidify their instruments, especially solid wood ones. While this is convenient and will fit in most gig bags or cases with the instrument, it barely humidifies. It's clay that you wet and there are two small holes in the top.

What I've done is used the black plastic container and taken the clay out, drilled a few more holes in the top and filled it polymer water gel beads/balls. They seem to be more consistent in providing better humidification based on readings from a hygrometer placed in the case.

Herco Guitar Humidifier