Here are some specifics on why you might want the GS412B (or 422B, 432B) and NOT the 414B... for *electric* guitars despite the 412B A/G acoustic guitar designation...

Published on November 18, 2011 by dFish

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stand BUT not good for hollow body basses
Let me say up front that the Hercules products are top notch and extremely well engineered. This stand is no exception and all my dings on it are because it did not work well with the somewhat unusual proportions of my particular bass guitar - a Gretsch G5440LSB Electromatic® Hollow Body Long Scale Bass Guitar - Orange - not because it is poorly designed stand...
Published 14 months ago by Richard Manzano

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars *Electric* Guitars - Here's why you want GS412B not GS414B IMHO, November 18, 2011
This review is from: Hercules GS412B A/G Guitar Stand (Electronics)

So I have a variety of guitars, including some stand-challenged Z-shaped and "Explorer-style" solid body axes, electric base guitars, headless travel guitars, along with conventionally shaped guitars. I wanted a stand that could handle all guitar shapes and sizes, in part so that the guitars would display consistently with multiple stands and in part so I didn't have to match up a stand to a guitar when traveling or even just setting up in a different room.

The GS412B, so far, can handle them all, including somewhat extreme shapes like my Jackson Warrior, despite being designated as an "A/G" stand... and it's primarily due to the T-bar that extends out from the vertical upright.

Conversely, the reason why the GS414B can't do the job, is due to its use of padded tripod legs (no T-bar). Specifically guitars with extremely asymmetric shapes hit the floor at one corner before the other corner or edge of the guitar contacts the padded/raised tripod leg. If you raise the guitar up enough to get the extreme corner off the floor then the other side of the guitar floats past the padded leg -- if you're lucky the tail of the guitar might come into contact with the padded leg in a way that works but this is not a sure shot (and these guitars don't come close to fitting conventional stands even with tilting arms if the shape is sufficiently extreme).

The GS 412B, because of the padded "T" coming off the upright handles the Z's and Explorer-styles just fine -- though I do throw a micro-fiber cleaning cloth over the T to ensure no marring given the extra weight of a solid body up against the T-bar pad vs. an acoustic guitar.

One concern I had was whether the center of gravity of the bigger solid body electrics would be too far out towards the front of the tripod legs, given the acoustic designation of this stand -- making for a forward tip-over risk. At least for home and light on-the-road use this doesn't seem to be a problem as the vertical upright is sufficiently raked backward.

Also note that some of the extreme Z shaped bodies have pretty long overall length -- again, so far, the stand seems to handle this issue -- the Jackson Warrior has 3 inches to spare from the floor with the stand yoke only 60% of the way to max height (pinhole # 4 out of 10) -- so the upright seems very secure even when raised up for long guitars.

As other reviews indicate the guitar weight-driven yoke is pretty cool -- while conceivably slightly less secure than a rubber strap or a clamp/gate, the reality is many of us blow off the using the manual straps/gates, while the automatic yoke is "always on" when the guitar is in the stand -- so imho, better real world/everyday protection for the guitar.

But wait there's more... because the yoke is a clean, straight-sided "U" shape when viewed from above, rather than a splayed out "V" shape like many other stands, the straps on my headless travel guitars slip easily right over the whole yoke, but not with so much slack in the strap that they'd be likely to slip off if knocked into. Also, the tripod base is wide enough to be stable even if you hang the headless strap on just one side of the yoke (which then automatically locks the strap behind the arms).

Lastly, for home use:
1) the 412B is just a lot less horsey/intrusive -- look at the tripod base vs. other models -- lower profile but still good width... and slightly simpler to fold (legs just fold down). The T-bar, btw, is also simple -- when you fold the T out, it engages a friction bearing on the vertical upright tube -- so you can position the T bar quickly and easily anywhere.

2) a subtle thing, but the Hercules branding is much lower key on the 412B (name appears in a warm gold tone only on the back tripod leg (the back leg on the model I got - not on the front tripod leg as sometimes pictured) and the yellow color is limited to a yellow-gold tone at the connectors between the legs and the upright -- the other models use a bright yellow and similarly brighter and larger brand logo, so a bit louder/more commercial on the branding.

So if you don't need the stand for hardcore gigging it would seem that the 412B model rocks vs. the 414B and that for similar reasons having to do with the T-bar, the 422B and 432B should be good solutions for multiple guitars, though I only tried these out at a guitar store and have not used them routinely. (At the risk of TMI, note however on the multi-guitar models, the tripod legs may interfere on at least one side with long extreme/asymmetrically shaped guitars, as the yoke won't in all cases, be over the wide part of the tripod leg base).

5.0 out of 5 stars Hercules stand are by far the best!!!, September 5, 2008
This review is from: Hercules GS412B A/G Guitar Stand (Electronics)
This is my second hercules stand. I have a double and a single. This stand locks your guitar neck at the nut simply by placing your instrument on the stand. Pressure of the instrument in the stand allows two arms to catch the neck. The stand releases the instrument when you pick it up off the stand. I cannot say enough good about this stand. I would give it ten stars if possible.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stand BUT not good for hollow body basses, October 24, 2013
This review is from: Hercules GS412B A/G Guitar Stand (Electronics)

Big problems for hollow body bass owners:

The stand is not tall enough for a bass of this size. My Electromatic has an unusually large body and a long scale neck. Extending the stand about as far as it would go, my bass was still only about an inch off the deck, which was worrisome. The arm of the stand is very well engineered and there are numerous holes drilled in it so the stand's locking mechanism will secure it. But for extremely long basses like mine, the arm needed to be extended well beyond where the holes stopped, relying on friction alone to keep the arm extended to the needed length.

The narrower tripod base depends a lot on the weight of the guitar to hold the instrument and stand steady and hollow body basses don't that sort of center of gravity. The stand was frighteningly "tippy."

Solid body basses and semi-hollow basses I think would work well with this stand provided they aren't unusually long--the narrower base might still prove problematic then. Hollow body bass players should definitely look at a different model, however. The Hercules GS414B A/G Guitar Standwhich has a wider base and does not have the padded t-bar or the more traditionally shaped Hercules GS405B ShockSafe Stand, which I own and am quite happy with, are better suited.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't even think twice about getting this one!!!!, January 23, 2013
This review is from: Hercules GS412B A/G Guitar Stand (Electronics)
this is the most amazing guitar stand i have used yet.
i am not a serious musician but i do love to play.
i play in my church band every week, and this guitar stand is something i have needed to find for a very long time.
when you set your guitar in it, it will automatically lock in your guitar as you pick it up it will let go. no stupid rubber safety.
very quick and easy to use and a huge plus when you rush the stage after the sermon and people are waiting on you to start.

the reason this stand is very amazing for me is because i play an epiphone explorer.
if you have ever tried to hang an explorer on pretty much any stand you know what i talking about. it just doesn't fit about 90% of stands. nor can it stand up because then the guitar would be sitting directly on its own cord.
let me say this one holds it very well, with great balance!
also this stand is a one button adjustment. push in and slide it up and down to your desired position.

there is no better guitar stand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best damn guitar stand out there!!, January 5, 2013
This review is from: Hercules GS412B A/G Guitar Stand (Electronics)
I've got several of these. Trust me when I say your guitar or bass isn't going anywhere!! Keeps your prise axe safe and secure.Killer! I recommend it very much.Also I recommend the carry bag thatcan be purchased seperately.Good investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for my 7 string v, July 15, 2010
This review is from: Hercules GS412B A/G Guitar Stand (Electronics)
I rely heavily on purchaser opinions when buying items. I was compelled to comment on this item because it works perfectly for what I needed it to do. I have 7 sting v guitar and this stand, because of the post which holds the guitar steady, keeps the guitar from moving about. Overall, the construction is great and the auto latch mechanism works wonderfully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best stand I have used, January 31, 2014
Robert (Delmar, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hercules GS412B A/G Guitar Stand (Electronics)
This stand uses the guitar weight to close a clamp around the top of the neck. Easy on and easy off ann stands secure and steady. It is padded where the body touches the base but you may want to consider a microfiber cloth separation if leaving on it a
Long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits Kala U-Bass (20" scale) and full-size bass guitars!, October 4, 2014
This review is from: Hercules GS412B A/G Guitar Stand (Electronics)
I've only had this stand for two days, but I love it so much I've already ordered another one.

Finally, a stand that works with my Kala U-Bass! It holds the U-Bass securely by the headstock at a convenient height while also supporting the back of the instrument.

Other guitar stands I've tried are too big for the U-Bass to fit securely, whereas ukulele stands are usually too small and/or unstable. Also, the awkward location of the U-Bass output jack means there's a tendency for cable plugs to press against the floor when the instrument is resting in a stand. And my shoulder strap and cable always seem to get tangled on the bottom supports of other stands. Not to mention that the small size of the U-Bass means I have to reach down (I'm about 6' tall) to pick it up off a typical stand.

The Hercules GS412B has no bottom supports, and the instrument and cable are nowhere near the floor: Several problems solved!

The icing on the cake, as you can see from the other reviews, is that it's also adjustable enough to work with almost any other guitar or bass. I'm going to love using this stand with my Jazz Bass, whose asymmetrical body shape will finally be a non-issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy in Hoschton, December 9, 2014
This review is from: Hercules GS412B A/G Guitar Stand (Electronics)
I have several of the old style stands that have the rubber piece that holds the guitar in the stand. But not for long! I read review after review on different stands before I decided on this one. The first time I used this stand I knew I made the right choice. I put my LP in it and felt it was safe and secure. Then I put my D-28 in it and decided right then that I wanted another one so I'm hoping Santa brings me another one for Christmas. After Christmas I'm hoping I can get my wife to let me buy one for my old ES-330. The stand seems to be well made and can be adjusted to accommodate all 3 of my guitars. You can pay more money for a stand but this one does the job and the price is right. Thanks to everyone that steered me to this stand. You were right!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Stand, November 26, 2014
Length:: 0:24 Mins

It Looks nice, 5 five stars from now, will see about durability.
My Schecter Diamond Series fits nice, the bottom of it's about 3 inches from the floor, the maximum height its about 40 inches from the floor to the bottom of the "Hook", I got the stand set up on the last hole.
The Width of the "Hook" it's about 1 7/8"
The "T Bracket" it adjustable it slides up and down, and locks in position.
I'm including some pics and short video.
My Takamine EC132C fits tight, but I have to put it in in an angle.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›