5.0 out of 5 stars Disney lover and history graduate student
Published on December 3, 1999 by Nick Alimonos

2.0 out of 5 stars The Spanish language version has a special guest voice!
Published on January 20, 2000 by A. Gonzalez

5.0 out of 5 stars Disney lover and history graduate student, December 3, 1999
Nick Alimonos (Tarpon Springs, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hercules (Limited Edition) (DVD)
I am in graduate school for my masters in history and I know just about EVERYTHING there is to know about mythology and Greek culture and let me tell you, I LOVED this movie! All the people who hated it because of its inaccuracies should know that not ONE Disney movie has EVER been accurate. Cinderella's step-sisters cut their toes off to fit into the glass slipper. The Little Mermaid is supposed to DIE in the end. There is NO Gaston or dancing pots and pans in Beauty and the Beast. There is no wise-cracking genie in Aladdin. Hercules is NO different. But unlike those movies, the "true" story of Hercules is just plain awful. The story goes like this: Hercules is born after Zeus cheats on his wife. Zeus then has the baby feed on Hera's breast when she is sleeping. Then Hercules in a fit of anger kills his whole family, and spends his whole life killing monsters for his cousin as penance. In the end his second wife gives him a magic coat with which he burns himself to death because he cheated on her. Oh, what a great movie that would make! Honestly, the revamped story is VASTLY superior, and Disney did everything right as far as the geology of Greece, the architecture, the clothing, and many other little anecdotes. That's much more than I can say for any other version of Hercules including that god-awful Kevin Sorbo show. I see the movie more as a humorous look at ALL Greek myths. I think any student of Greek myths would agree. Sure the Gospel music was a bit much, but it fit the story beautifully.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great teaching tool, July 2, 2004
Precisely BECAUSE of the complete disregard for the original mythology, this movie is a superb teaching tool for middle schoolers. After a unit on Mythology, the kids can identify for themselves the many creative changes Disney opted to make, and even better, they can figure out for themselves why Disney made those choices. It makes the kids savvier media consumers, they enjoy spotting the "mistakes," and the music is terrific and holds their attention. We all enjoy the fact that nearly every time the Muses sing "and that's the Gospel truth!" they're referencing something completely FALSE. And the group scene at the christening makes a great "test" of those symbolic identifiers--the kids like being able to identify the gods and goddesses based on the clues in their appearance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zero to Hero, June 29, 2004
Robin M Goffinet (Richmond, IN United States) - See all my reviews
When the evil Hades, god of the underworld, learns that if Zeus and Hera's newborn son Hercules fights his world takeover plan, he will fail, Hades' idiotic helpers Pain and Panic kidnap the tyke in an attempt to turn him mortal and kill him. But before baby Herc could drink the last drop of the potion, a middle aged couple intersept. They take young Hercules in and raise him as their own. The only problem Hercules has is his god like strength, which he retained because he did not drink the last drop of the potion.
Hercules grows up feeling like he doesn't belong and goes on a journey to find his true identity. When he discovers that he is the son of Zeus, he is told that the only way he can regain entry to Mount Olympus is to become a true hero.
So with the help of Phil, a satyr, and Pegasus he begins training to become a hero. He ends up meeting Meg, a young woman who sold her soul to Hades, and falling in love with her. Meg is torn between loyalty to Hades and her growing love for "Wonder Boy".
When Hades strikes a deal with Hercules to give up his strength for 24 hours, Hades frees the Titans to take over Olympus. Due to one technicality in the deal, Hercules regains his strength and defeats Hades. But when he learns of Meg's death, he strikes a deal with Hades to rescue her and take her place in the underworld.
A little bit too modern for a story set in Ancient Greece but this movie contains all the essential elements of a true Disney classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Only A Cartoon!, December 23, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Hercules (Limited Edition) (DVD)
People, please try to remember the spirit of Disney movies . . . ENTERTAINMENT! Children learn about history in school and they learn how to decide which is fact and which is fiction. Give the children the benefit of the doubt and let them enjoy the movie for what it is! For you adults who are overanalyzing this movie, get a grip! IT IS PURE FANTASY! If you have lost sight of that then perhaps you need to go back to school! Bottom line . . . it is only a movie, to learn historically accurate information, go to your library!

4.0 out of 5 stars Zero to Hero, April 18, 2005
First, let me start off by saying that I am quite aware that this movie very much alters the original story of "Hercules". But I have learned over time that Disney does that with movies. They sugar-coat the story until it is simple and appropriate enough for children to enjoy. They did it with "Pocahontas", "The Hunchback of Notre Dame", and probably some other movies that I don't know of. In the true story of Pocahontas, Pocahontas was just a young teen when she met the older John Smith, and the original "Hunchback of Notre Dame" ended up being one of the most disgusting, disturbing books I've ever read in my life...okay, now that I've said that, on to my review!

"Hercules" is a really good movie! It has comedy, romance, great animation, a good plot, and great songs. "Hercules" used to be one of my favorite movies, even though Hades, God of the Underworld, scared me (I was three or four). I loved the romantic parts with Megara and Hercules, and I thought the part where Zeus makes Pegasus was cute, and...if you like Disney cartoon movies, then I suggest just seeing it for yourself! And don't be surprised if some of the songs get stuck in your head!

5.0 out of 5 stars The more I watch it, the more I like it!, July 14, 2000
I have to admit that when I first saw Disney's "Hercules" I was definitely NOT IMPRESSED. If I had written this review the evening after that first viewing I would probably have rated this movie at about 2 or maybe 3 stars -- like many of the other reviews listed for this movie on Amazon.com. In the intervening three years, however, I've come to thoroughly enjoy this animated feature. Why? Well, I'll tell you...
1) The story line is good enough...not outstanding, but good enough.
2) There's a really good bad guy (Hades) that you love to hate. He's so evil, self-centered, and conniving that you actually feel good detesting him. He's a classic Disney villain...cut from the same kind of evil character mold as 101 Dalmations' Cruella (animated and real-life).
3) The supporting characters "Panic" and "Pain," which I thought were only mildly annoying when I first watched the show, have really grown on me. They provide great comic relief. These first three points are enough to make this a 4-star movie, but the following point moves this video to 5 stars for me...
4) The clincher for me is that the music is awesome. Again, it takes some listening to in order to catch the vision of it. It's got a strong traditional gospel strain mixed with broadway chorus line pieces like songs from shows such as "Little Shop of Horrors," etc. I especially like the song that Megura sings, "I won't say I'm in love."
Sure there's a strong sentimentality factor to the show, but that's not at all unusual for animated Disney features. When all is said and done I think that's a plus!
If you look at my other reviews (e.g., Tarzan, Fox and the Hound) you'll see that I do not believe that all Disney animated features are 5-star affairs. Once you give this one a fair chance though, you may come to enjoy it as much as I do.
Give this movie a second and third chance -- maybe after the children are in bed, and see if it grows on you too.
I think it's worth 5 stars, and well worth the price!
Alan Holyoak

2.0 out of 5 stars The Spanish language version has a special guest voice!, January 20, 2000
This review is from: Hercules (Limited Edition) (DVD)
Although this one is clearly not one of the all-time best Disney films, and the content is mor haphazardly put together than the hair on Hades' head, there are some razzle dazzle moments and sentimental scenes to warrant a few viewings. But more interestingly, this DVD does include exclusive alternate language versions of the film (in Spanish and French). No one seems to have noticed that in the Spanish version of Hercules, the speaking voice of the adult Herc is provided by none other than singer Ricky Martin! In essence, we are paying essentially for 3 different versions of the movie, and while Martin is still hot, an exclusive collector's item! I am also glad that the alternate versions took enough care in duplicating the voices as closely as possible. It's hard to recommend this film on its own merits, as there are few. But these little extras make the Special Edition DVD worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disney Goofed!, January 22, 2007
This review is from: Hercules (Limited Edition) (DVD)
I can't tell the number of hours my daughter and I sat in our big chair with a big bowl of pop-corn watching and rewatching this movie. She always loved it at five and, now at twelve, she still does.

Some people pick this movie apart as if it is supposed to be somehow "accurate" to the mythology. Sheesh! It's a disney film. Just enjoy the beautiful colors, more than tolerable story line, exceptional music and campy laughs. I did rewatching it for the first time on dvd.

One final point: Disney goofed in that they being one of the most left-wing liberal organizations out there mistakenly presented the Gospel to the world in cartoon allegory.

Think about it: The only Son of the Most High becomes human, and dwells among men, "discovers" himself, all the while perfoming a myriad miraculous feats. How does he become a "True Hero"? By sacrificing himself for the one that he loves...His bride.

Alright, it's a bit of a stretch and surely unintentional, but it still works. It's a beautiful thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars As Meg Might Say...A Real SLICE!!, April 9, 2002
Hillary (Brooklyn, New York) - See all my reviews
Since this has become a recent favorite for my daughter, I have watched it many times recently, and I LOVE it!

The great characters, the colorful animation, and the refreshingly witty and hip script make this a standout in Disney's many releases. I really enjoy watching this one, and I don't get tired of it. I particularly like the "Hades" god of the dead character, voiced superbly by one of my screen favorites, the incomparable James Woods. He makes Hades such a funny and cool villain. I always enjoy the villains more than most other characters anyway, but Hades is one of the best Disney has ever created. He actually looks like a female version of "Ursula" from "The Little Mermaid" too.

Also amusingly different in this film, is the use of yiddish expressions like Hades referring to Hercules as "the one SCHLEMIEL who can louse everything up." Philates the goatman, aka "Phil" is my other favorite, a grumpy but tender hearted satyr who trains "hero's." He ALSO has a funny line where he goes on about Achilles, and how he COULD have been a hero..."but that FUSHLUGGENEH heel of his!!"

The muses are amusing as a gospel chorus who sing about what's happening, and give narratives as well. The "fates" as three hideous corpses resembling "Mrs. Bates" of "Psycho" fame, who work for Hades cutting the life thread of the "incoming" (over 500000000001 served) flashes a McDonald's-like sign as someones soul is plucked, are grusomely funny too. No, I've not forgotten Meg, the pretty and sassy mortal gal who mutually falls for "Herc" while indebted to Hades. She must decide whether true love will conquer all.

The fun script, and use of "hip" lingo delivered cheekily by terrific characters, give "Hercules" a fresh spin on the greek myth, AND make this entry the COOLEST in Disney's vast filmography.

5.0 out of 5 stars What could be better?, April 10, 2011
This review is from: Hercules (Amazon Instant Video)
Love it love it love it. This has got to be one of my favorite disney movies of all time, yet it was one of the few I never had on VHS as a kid. This way, you can rent it for $2, and, if you're like me, watch it in bed on your laptop. It's a win-win.

ARRAY(0x9d2fb888)