5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!
As a long-time fan of TMBG, I often played some of their music to my 16 month-old son. I got the DVD a couple of months ago and my son absolutely loves it - in fact he clamours for it (by waving the DVD remote control in my face urgently).

Published on November 15, 2005 by Z. Matni

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't measure up
I have been a fan of They Might Be Giants for as long as I can remember. I have always loved their "educational" songs as much as the purely entertaining ones. I thought it was a great idea for TMBG to move into music geared more toward kids, and loved their prior release, "No!"

However, I don't think that this CD measures up to what TMBG has done in the...
Published on September 19, 2005 by S. L. Fabros

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, November 15, 2005
Z. Matni (Metuchen, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Here Come the ABCs (Audio CD)

I think it's TMBG's best work in a long time (and that's saying a lot). All the songs have very catchy tunes and are highly amusing: they'll have you humming after the first viewing. The visuals are also very well produced and kid-friendly.

The musical styles are quite varied - from jangly upbeat kid stuff ("Go For G", "Fake Believe"), to ballads ("D and W", "Can You Find It?"), to rock 'n roll ("Who Put the Alphabet..."), to country-western ("I C U"), to psychedelic ("Pictures of Pandas Painting"), to electronica/dance ("Alphabet Lost and Found").

Every song is guaranteed to stick in your head for weeks to come.

Get this DVD/CD: I highly recommend it for both the kids and the adults in the family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helping children and bringing back fond memories to me!, February 15, 2005
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
The joy is that John Flansburgh and John Linnell have produced yet another wonderful, thoughtful and creative CD for children! This CD is a great educational tool handling 25 tunes designed to educate while entertaining young children about the alphabet. The songs really are TRULY catchy with funny, thoughtful, lighthearted lyrics. Flansburgh and Linnell realize that in order to keep the very young interested in beginning education, you have to keep them entertained so they stay motivated as well! (This of course is true to a smaller degree with us adults, too!) Flansburgh and Linnell do a sublime job of mixing the education with the fun "intriguing flights of fancy" in their stories they use to connect the lessons about the alphabet and words that might otherwise be too dry for some of the younger children to keep them interested.

I must admit that this CD brings back fond memories of my parents, aunts, uncles and occasional babysitters reading to me on the living room sofa trying to show me that "books and words" are our friends. This is precisely the thing that Flansburgh and Linnell are doing here on this CD; and I suppose my affection for this CD is partly because it brings back the really good memories I have. In fact, I just bought two copies for nieces and nephews of mine! (One CD I got at the local store because I couldn't wait and the other through Amazon. I guess this makes me a TMBG enthusiast! GRIN)

I especially like the way the three bonus tracks follow the song "Goodnight." It's just so thoughtful, just like the way little children say "Good night, Mommy" and then ask for yet just one more bedtime story, "please?"

Another BIG plus is that this version of the CD has (as you can see) extra exclusive content available to us only if we purchase this CD on Amazon. I would recommend buying this product here for the obvious reasons.

And even another plus: This is an enhanced CD-there are multimedia computer files for the children to enjoy! The parents can enjoy, too, just as they enjoy Disney when they take their own kids there! Hehehe Parents also ought to get a good sense of pleasure that their children will be learning from a quality educational tool while the kids enjoy at the same time.

Another quick note: Look for Desi Tomaselli and Marty Beller to chime in on the vocals on this album. A nice touch, very well done by all.

I think this is an excellent CD for parents to choose as a learning device for their young children who are ready to learn the alphabet and enjoy some fun, beautifully creative stories at the same time. One writer once wrote that "They Might Be Giants is...one of most educationally oriented bands on the planet;" and I couldn't agree more!

We are fortunate to have these great artists amongst us and I applaud their efforts! These are people who want a better world for our children!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, March 4, 2007
This review is from: Here Come the ABCs (Audio CD)
My husband is a big fan of TMBG and bought this months ago and our son didn't show a lot of interest (he's a bit wiggles obsessed). Fast forward six months and our son is 2.5 and LOVES this DVD. He knows his ABC's and this only reinforces what he is learning from us and preschool. The songs are great and have a good beat and it's something that I enjoy listening to also. It's fun, upbeat, and educational.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only 4 stars, but it's Disney's fault, March 2, 2005
TMBG seem like big kids and great dads; this album contains kid-friendly songs about the alphabet, including the classic lyrics "urnx, urnx, ni, imnx, ictv,ictv, nicu" which translates as "You are an X, you are an X, and I, I am an X, I see TV, I see TV, and I see you." [This one has a compelling country-western kinda twang to it!] The letters all have quirky personalities (W is called "double-wide") that kids will love.

But (and it's a BIG but), this has not the charm of their previous kid's effort "No, No, No" and it's entirely Disney's fault (the album is a Disney production). "No, No, No" had these really cute little animations/games that could be played, simply, on your computer. But if you put "ABCs" into your computer, what comes up is merely a link to Disney's web site--and you have to REGISTER--and it's not clear whether once you do there will be any added content. In fact, it took about 10 minutes to figure out how to circumvent Disney's tremendous need to market to my hapless kids and merely *listen* to the album.

So the visual angle that reinforced the songs and increased the play value of the previous album is gone daddy gone. Now Disney has your name and your kids' name too. John, John, my kids want to see your letters boogie - do they have to be SOLD to to see it?

5.0 out of 5 stars God Bless TMBG, February 28, 2007
This review is from: Here Come the ABCs (Audio CD)
They Might Be Giants rocked my world in - was it '89? - with Ana Ng and others, opening my eyes to super fun and clever alternative music in my teen years. Now as a 30-something mother of two, I feel pathetically out of touch with any new or cool music, it's just hard to keep up while juggling life now. I am THRILLED that my old love, TMBG, has not failed me in my predicament, but has provided the perfect solution - their awesome sound and clever lyric-writing with kid-level content so my daughters and I can all enjoy it together. And I'm a big fan of the alphabet, so this is our perfect match! WE LOVE THIS CD!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have!, November 15, 2006
Laura Horst "Laura" (Milwaukee, Wisconsin United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Here Come the ABCs (Audio CD)
We bought this when it first came out for our son who was about 5 months old at the time. He immediately took to the music and loved everything going on in the DVD. He is now 2 years old, knows his alphabet and can sing most of the songs on the CD. Every time we are in the car he asks for his ABC's CD. As parents, the music is so great that we don't even get sick of hearing the same CD over and over again. This is most definitely a must buy!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars the kids love it, February 16, 2006
napa mom (Napa, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Here Come the ABCs (Audio CD)
This is one of my kids' favorite CD's. My kids (ages 2 and 4) know all the songs and are having fun learning letters in a creative way. The CD also comes with a DVD of music videos which is great. It helped me understand some of the nonsense songs a little better. The songs are simple, upbeat, and fun. I would recommend it to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, music for children that isn't dumbed down, July 28, 2006
Jenson J. Crawford (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Here Come the ABCs (Audio CD)
Articulate, thoughtful lyrics combined with sophisticated melodies and arrangements that my four year old and his friends can't stop singing. You and your kids will love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC, November 13, 2006
This review is from: Here Come the ABCs (Audio CD)
This is the best buy I've done recently. My daughter doesn't get tired of the music, she loves all the songs and she has learned the ABC's from this CD. The DVD is a super bonus. The first time I watched it I enjoyed a lot. The Q & U and the ICU songs are HILARIOUS. I told my husband about it and he kind of teased me saying "I am so glad you are having so much fun with your daughter". Several days ago he watched it for the first time and he agreed with me a 100%.. He loved it. It is so creative, so well done, every song is visually different. I would recommend it to everybody. Really refreshing. I wish the NO!! CD had its own DVD too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't measure up, September 19, 2005
S. L. Fabros (Salt Lake City, UT USA) - See all my reviews

However, I don't think that this CD measures up to what TMBG has done in the past. Part of the problem with the CD is that it is music from the DVD, and some of the songs on the DVD are very visual (e.g., "Letter Shapes"). There are a few songs that are enjoyable just on the CD (my favorites are "Alphabet of Nations" and "Z Y X"), but if you want to really enjoy this release, forgo the CD and just buy the DVD.

Also, just so that I wouldn't be posting only my adult comments on this product, I showed the DVD to my two nephews (ages 1 and 4), and they got bored after about the third song and asked to watch The Wiggles instead.

Here Come the ABCs
Here Come the ABCs by They Might Be Giants (Audio CD - 2005)