4.0 out of 5 stars Hippity Hoppity goodness
"Here Comes Peter Cottontail" is another great Animagic treat from Rankin/Bass. The picture on the DVD is great, and does full justice to this classic.
Published on March 5, 2002 by Zack Davisson

1.0 out of 5 stars My son loves Peter Cottontail
But this movie was rather disappointing. It's pretty old and he was not really interested in watching it more than once. I was pretty bored seeing it too. Peter rabbit on TV is much more interesting for adults and kides,
Published 4 months ago by KoaKai

4.0 out of 5 stars Hippity Hoppity goodness, March 5, 2002
This review is from: Here Comes Peter Cottontail (DVD)
Vincent Price's Irontail is one of the best villains in any holiday special. There is a special evil flair to the character, a dark bunny who rides on a giant bat and only wants to deliver mud-colored eggs. I love Danny Kaye, who does a great job as the narrator Seymour S. Sassafras.
The best scenes are Peter trying to deliver holiday-themed eggs during competing holidays. 4th of July eggs, Valentine's Day eggs, Christmas eggs and green St. Patrick's Day eggs spring from his basket. Our plucky little hero tries his best, and overcomes his self-inflicted follies in true holiday style.
Sadly, the accompanying feature "Puss in Boots" is very low-quality Rankin/Bass. It is a cheaply animated feature and does not fit well with "Here Comes Peter Cottontail." There is no Easter theme to the cartoon, and I cannot see myself watching it more than once. A better fit would have been "The Easter Bunny is Coming to Town" or "The First Easter Rabbit." This tacked-on extra keeps the DVD from getting 5 stars.
Other than that, great DVD! More please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rankin/Bass' Easter Masterpiece in a Sparkly New Edition!, March 9, 2010
This review is from: Here Comes Peter Cottontail: The Original TV Classic [Remastered] (DVD)
This is an excellent stop-motion TV special that originally aired during the early 70's. It features the voices of Danny Kaye, Vincent Price and Casey Kasem and is the first and easily the best of three Easter specials from Rankin/Bass, who also graced our television sets with holiday traditions such as "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", "Santa Claus is Coming To Town", "Frosty the Snowman", and the popular cult classic "Mad Monster Party".

This fanciful, pastel-colored Easter special is based on a book titled "The Easter Bunny Who Overslept". Peter Cottontail agrees to a contest against Evil Irontail to see who can deliver the most Easter eggs. But, when Peter oversleeps, leaving Evil Irontail to rule April Valley (the land of Easter bunnies), he must travel back through time making unplanned stops at all the other holidays on his way back to Easter.

This show really has a warm, Easter/Spring feeling, wonderful songs and a chance to catch a glimpse of all the holidays through the enchanted puppet-animated world of Animagic! Once again, Rankin/Bass have taken that fuzzy holiday warmth and turned it into a colorful, fun special.

**This newest release from 2010 features a beautifully restored print that is ears and tails above all the others. Remastered in high definition, the colors pop and things that were blurry in the background in previous releases are now crystal clear. It is not completely without a few specks and scratches here and there, but do you really want to watch these old specials without a few of those? Definitely worth the double-dip if you are a fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPER STOP-MOTION "ANIMAGIC" FROM RANKIN/BASS, January 30, 2000
This is an excellent stop-motion TV special that originally aired during the early 70's. It features the voices of Danny Kaye, Vincent Price and Casey Kasem. It is produced by the wonderful animation team of Rankin/Bass who also graced our television sets with holiday traditions such as "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", "Santa Claus is Coming To Town", "Frosty the Snowman", and the popular cult classic "Mad Monster Party".
This fanciful, pastel-colored Easter special is based on a book titled "The Easter Bunny Who Overslept". Peter agrees to a contest against Evil Irontail to see who can deliver the most Easter eggs. But, when Peter oversleeps, leaving Evil Irontail to rule April Valley (the land of Easter bunnys), he must travel back through time making unplanned stops at all the other holidays on his way back to Easter.
This show really has a warm, Easter/Spring-feeling that makes you feel like a kid again! Once again, Rankin/Bass have been able to incorporate a wonderful holiday feel into a colorful, fun special. There are also some great songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Join Peter on his bunny trail, September 26, 2003
D. Earp (Wyoming, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Here Comes Peter Cottontail (DVD)
First of all, it's a Rankin/Bass animagic special, so I think I could just stop there, because that says it all!
This is a great Easter movie, with Peter Cottontail learning about responsibility in order to be the head bunny. The Characters are wonderful as usual, An evil bunny, french caterpillar, and a talking Easter bonnet joining Peter in his journey back in time. It is Set in the beautiful April Valley and narrated by Sassafras(Danny Kaye), with, as always, great songs. My faves being "Here Comes Peter Cottontail" and "If I could Only Get Back to Yesterday".
Also, as extra value for money, you get one of R/Bs cartoon features, "Puss In Boots". I don't know how many of you would remember these cartoons, but the introductions starts with a book spiralling into the centre of the screen. It then opens up and says Rankin Bass presents.......whatever cartoon it is, then all the different characters walk over a rainbow. When I started watching it, all these memories started flooding back to me from when I was little, it was such good fun to watch. Definitely worth having.
I am in my twenties and still enjoy watching R/B productions, true, that is because I grew up with them, but anybody who hasn't tried some Rankin/Bass, please do, you will be pleasantly suprised!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Orginal Remastered Brought Back Memories, March 22, 2010
In A Nutshell: I was thrilled to show this DVD to my daughter. We love watching movies together and being able to say, "I saw this when I was a little girl" was an honor. This is the same Stop-Motion animation that we are familiar with from our childhood (Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer).

What I Can Tell You: This is a true classic. There aren't enough kid shows during Easter and I love this one. My daughter is allowed to watch a movie before bed as long as she is in bed at 7:00 P.M. She has watched this Here Comes Peter Cottontail every other night since we got it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Delightful Easter Special From The Classic Team Of Rankin And Bass, April 9, 2006
Simon Davis (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Here Comes Peter Cottontail (DVD)
To me this delightful Easter special is everything that Easter should be for young children and adults alike. Coming from a far more innocent age of television "Here Comes Peter Cottontail", is one of the greatest creations from the Rankin and Bass team of animators who brought us of course the immortal television classics "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer", and "Frosty the Snowman". Taking Easter as their theme here they have created a memorable lead character in the delightful Peter Cottontail and this special was a regular feature of our Easter viewing when I was growing up for many years. I still treasure this special now as an adult and in the beautifully restored DVD version of it now available I still marvel at the truly superb animation created here by this legendary team without the assistance of any computers. Definately an Easter classic, this funny and warm hearted story has most surely stood the test of time. In between my more religious themed viewing over this holiday I always include "Here Comes Peter Cottontail", and the other Rankin and Bass Easter themed special "The Easter Bunny is Comin' To Town", in my regular viewing and it's always a joy to revisit these "old friends", each Easter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Easter mini-movie Ever!!, December 6, 2003
Every year I watch this. It's amazing. Seymour S. Sassafrass is totally lovable. Peter Cottontail and Bonnie are too cute. Antoine the inchworm is adorable too. Vincent Price is wonderfully evil as Irontail. The story is thoroughly enjoyable as Peter sails through all the holidays of the year trying to save April Valley by giving out more eggs than his rival, Irontail, and become Chief Easter Bunny. I love the music, especially "If I could only get back to yesterday." (And he can, with the Yester-morrowbile.) I love Sassafrass's colorful garden and Irontail's little bat and Halloween bash. This tape is incredible. All the quotes are so memorable, everyone knows what you're talking about when you mention them. I guess everyone's seen these videos at some point or other. And who couldn't like 'em?

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Rankin and Bass, January 21, 2010
Wow! I absolutely love the animagic. The original Peter Cottontail story is great for all ages. My 16 month old son enjoys animagic as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Peter Cottontail-A review, July 19, 2011
A Kid's Review
I'm eight years old and I like to watch movies with my aunt and grandmother. We watched Peter Cottontail and I thought it was nice, but a little weird, and funny. Traveling in the 'yestervehical' it got very confusing, was Peter Cottontail traveling back into time or forward? Peter Cottontail, is nice and has a moral, and the characters look, real, yet not real. Like in most movies or books the 'problem' is a 'person' or in this case 'bunny' that is bad. Becoming chief Easter bunny is Peter Cottontail's greatest heart's desire. It may be a tinge confusing, but it's fun, has a great tune, and is perfect for Easter celebrations!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's here and the re-mastered print looks AMAZING!, February 15, 2002
This review is from: Here Comes Peter Cottontail (DVD)
This RANKIN/BASS classic is in my TOP 5 RANKIN/BASS specials. With talents like DANNY KAYE, VINCENT PRICE, CASEY KASEM, JOAN GARDNER, PAUL FREES, etc., RANKIN/BASS couldn't go wrong. It also features one of the very BEST Soundtracks by Jules Bass and Maury Laws! Previous video releases have been in LP MODE and not up to par...I think you will find the DVD to exceed expectations. It also has an episode of FESTIVAL OF FAMILY CLASSICS as a BONUS! I am currently working on the DVD releases of MAD MONSTER PARTY, THE DAYDREAMER and THE WACKY WORLD OF MOTHER GOOSE w/ ANCHOR BAY to be released later this year. They will feature the 35mm SONY prints and more extras than have been on other RANKIN/BASS DVDs! EASTER will be GREAT this year with this DVD. Hopefully, WARNER BROS. will issue THE EASTER BUNNY IS COMIN' TO TOWN (W/ FRED ASTAIRE) and THE FIRST EASTER RABBIT (W/ BURL IVES) on one DVD. Rick Goldschmidt RANKIN/BASS

Here Comes Peter Cottontail: The Original TV Classic [Remastered]