5.0 out of 5 stars George Strait - Here For a Good Time
George is having fun.

Published on September 6, 2011 by J D

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow But Strait
The positive reviews here are a little over the top. While at times introspective and heartfelt, overall I thought this was kind of a lackluster album. I love George Strait's music, and started collecting his albums in 1984. Over the years I have always appreciated his adherence to country traditions, both lyrically and musically. Strait is certainly a direct link to...
Published on October 7, 2011 by JohnMuir

5.0 out of 5 stars George Strait - Here For a Good Time, September 6, 2011
George is having fun.

You can tell it in his live performances, in the picture on the cover of this latest CD, and in the songs and lyrics on this CD. I think his style and his singing have improved (if that is possible) with the addition of his son Bubba (George Jr.) writing songs with him. George has always had a wicked dry sense of humor and always includes songs that are tongue-in-cheek, and this CD is no exception.

Love's Gonna Make It Alright - Classic up-tempo George Strait. Wouldn't be surprised if this song is released as a single.

Drinkin' Man - Slower song from the perspective of an alcoholic who wants to quit drinking but can't or won't, and the damage his drinking causes to his life and personal relationships.

Shame On Me - Mid-tempo song about a man who is repeatedly made a fool of by his love interest.

Poison - A slow, haunting song about a being in a bad situation or relationship but living with it regardless of how bad it gets.

Here For A Good Time - Great up-tempo song about living for the moment.

House Across The Bay - Song from the perspective of a man trying to get over a failed relationship.

Lone Star Blues - The funniest song on the CD. From the perspective of a man having a continuous streak of bad luck. Can't wait to see George sing this one live in concert.

A Showman's Life - Mid-tempo song about the down side of life on the road.

Three Nails And A Cross - Slower tempo song about finding forgiveness in life.

Blue Marlin Blues - Up-tempo song about a man having a run of bad luck when he goes fishing. Not the best song on the CD (in my opinion), but the ending is kind of funny.

I'll Always Remember You - This is a personal song directly from George to his fans thanking them for the memories they have given him. Similar to the song "Somewhere Down In Texas", where George hints at what his life might be like when he retires. Luckily for his fans George specifically states in the lyrics of this song - "I'm not saying I'm through by any means, there's still things that I want to say and do..." I get the feeling that George is prepping his fans for the day he does decide to call it quits. With as much fun as George and his fans are having, hopefully that day will be many years away.

5.0 out of 5 stars THREE REASONS TO BUY THIS MUSIC, September 6, 2011
This review is from: Here for a Good Time (Audio CD)
George Strait has a smooth, classic country voice that never falters. Perhaps that is one reason why he holds the world record for the most number one hit singles - more than Elvis, The Beatles, Mariah Carey, more than anyone you can think of in any genre of music. Strait is often called "The King of Country Music" but perhaps he should be called The King of the Hit Single. The man has been churning out top shelf product for thirty years now - if you saw the last season of American Idol, this is the kind of iconic country superstar that little ol' Scotty McCreery could become if he plays his cards right...

So here comes a new album from the man who has made thirty-eight albums already - an average of more than one per year for the last thirty years (he is prolific like the country superstars of old). Son Bubba Strait comes along for the ride this time and for seven of the eleven tracks here he helps make sure that we're all "Here For A Good Time."

Summaries and descriptions of the album's content seem unnecessary at this point - there are other reviewers and there is Amazon's editorial content for that. The man's legendary reputation and a simple scan of the song titles here probably tell you what you need to know anyway. For my part I'd like to keep it simple and say here are three reasons to buy HERE FOR A GOOD TIME by George Strait:

1. You are a casual or a committed George Strait fan already - if you've liked anything about this legendary singer and his songs in the past then you are sure to find plenty to like here.

2. You enjoy classic and/or contemporary country music - Strait does both well and often he does both well at the same time. Whether you're a fan of Hank and Lefty or you lean toward fresher meat like Luke Bryan and Blake Shelton, you will enjoy George Strait's latest offering.

3. You own a cowboy hat and/or cowboy boots and they do not just sit in your closet, oh no, you've been known to wear that hat and/or those boots and you might even drive a pick up truck to go along with it. You owe it to your cowboy image to get familiar with these new tunes from the ever-reigning King of Country Music.

Same goes for those who may have only thought about the boots and the hat and the truck - let Mr. Strait lead you on your quest for the country life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straits Deepens the Meaning of "Good Time" with New CD, September 6, 2011
Prime Cuts: House Across the Bay, A Showman's Life, I'll Always Remember You

"Here for a Good time" is a relative phrase. For a lesser artist to name an album "Here for a Good Time" might suggests a lame excuse for creating a soundtrack of mindless partying music. But not for this 59 year-old country megastar--on his 39th album, Strait shows us that having a good time means living a life reflected, treasured and lived to its full. Each of these 11 songs deftly expound on such a theme from various vantages and scenarios exploring its variegated emotional nuances. This is what makes "Here for a Good Time" one of Strait's most cohesive discs in years. Rather than offering a pieced together package of songs, each song tells stories of life and relationships palatable enough for us to soak our lives into. And such a unity comes about perhaps because 7 out of these 11 entries come from the pens of Strait, his son Bubba and old collaborator Dean Dillon. Again long time producer Tony Brown an Strait himself take on the reins continuing Strait's trademark style of neo-traditional country: country that is contemporary to be played on the radio yet still not divorced from its rustic roots of fiddles, steel, and piano.

Songs that do make the strongest impressions are the ballads. Unlike his last album "Twang," here the ballads are more reflective and sung with more emotional cadence. The best of them is the album closer "I'll Always Remember You"---almost like a swan song, here Strait does not want to take his fans for granted by offering a special "thank you" over a gorgeous piano-driven ballad that is enough to drive one over to tearsville. "A Showman's Life," a cover of Jesse Winchester's chestnut, is a brooding bluesy ballad about the trappings of a musician's life. Faith Hill certainly adds some haunting vocals over this dark and dire piece. Recalling his big hit "Marina Del Ray," "House Across the Bay" is one of these plaintive divorce numbers that is so addictively sad that makes you want to hear it again and again. Despite its pedantic title the wryly melancholic "Drinkin' Man" tells a gripping tale of the effects of the spirited drink that grabs you listening and savouring each and every note.

Yet not all is dark and abysmal, Al Anderson and Chris Stapleton's "Love's Gonna Make It Alright" is so sunny that you need to put on shades. Toe-tapping, infectious and fated for the number 1 spot, "Love's Gonna Make It Alright" finds Strait offering advice on how love trumps all of life's issues. More philosophical musings come with the title cut "Here for a Good Time." An understated country shuffle that bears all the creative imprints of co-writer Dean Dillon, Strait tells us of the need to live our lives well regardless of life's brevity. Delbert McClinton gives us a moment of comic relief as he contributes "Lone Star Blues" where Strait sings (albeit humorously) the story of a man's string of bad luck. Ultimately a good time cannot be have without Jesus Christ and that is the gist of "Three Nails and a Cross"--a beautiful country gospel piece reeked with depths of spiritual insights enhanced by a bevy of strings and steel guitars.

"Here for a Good Time" is not just the name of this record, but Strait does come across as having a ball in making this record. Never has he sounded more confident, relaxed and yet mastering over every note elucidating them with affect and heart. Most of all these songs are well written and chosen, they do give us insightful vignettes over what it means to have a good time. Good times that are more than just loud meaningless music. Rather good times that are contemplative, reflective and meaningful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, September 6, 2011
This review is from: Here for a Good Time (Audio CD)
I've been listening to George Strait for over 16 yrs. I have most of his CD's and am familiar with all his music. I can honestly say that no one's body of work comes close to King George. It is amazing how he continues to get better over time. His voice sounds just as strong, if not stronger than it did on his very first CD's, over 30 yrs ago. This CD contains quality songs, half of which were co-written by him and his son. While there isn't a song on here that I dislike, I find the song Poison to be well written, and the vocals are superb. If there is one thing that GS knows how to do, it's sing a song the way it was meant to be sung. I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars George shows right here why he is The King..., September 6, 2011
DJ (Mesa, Arizona) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Here for a Good Time (Audio CD)
I'm going on record as saying this is one of his best CD's he's done. Of course this is just my opinion, but between the 7 songs he co-wrote and his voice that just keeps getting better and better, I'd say that may be the opinion of a lot of people. I love the whole CD, but some of my more favorite songs would include:

"I'll Always Remember You" - There are just no words to describe this song and how it makes me feel. Mr. Strait says thank you in his own words to his fans in the most sincerest way he knows how. The speaking part feels like he is talking to each individual fan! Close your eyes and listen to him talk and he is talking to you. Simply one of the best songs on the CD.

"Blue Marlin Blues" - I think Mr. Strait shows his sense of humor in this song. It's fun.

"Here For A Good Time" - Headed for #1 and is currently #9 on the charts.

"Love's Gonna Make It Alright" - this song needs to be the next single. An upbeat song with a message.

"Shame On Me" - A mid-tempo song, definitely one of my favorites.

I could go on and on, but let me just say this: You cannot go wrong and you will definitely NOT be disappointed in buying this CD. Mr. Strait shows off his writing ability as well as the fact that his voice just gets stronger with each CD he puts out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Heart-felt Gold from a True Artist, September 10, 2011
This review is from: Here For A Good Time (MP3 Music)
George Strait is without a doubt the primary reason I ever really cared about country music in the first place. I remember listening to "Amarillo by Morning" over the radio as I worked second shift in a southern sewing factory one summer in college. I was hooked from that very moment. I'm still listening today, and for the same reasons: honesty, sincerity, integrity. The depth and quality of the writing in this album is exceptional, fitting perfectly the maturity and experience of Mr. Strait's perfect country music voice.

While some have suggested that "Here for a Good Time" is an empty party anthem, the careful listener will hear the importance of living life well and with no regrets, perhaps best summed up in the lyric, "When I'm gone, put it in stone, he left nothin' behind...." Nothing left unsaid, no conflicts unresolved. The despair of alcoholism is visited in "Drinkin' Man", and the extension to toxic relationships is explored in "Poison". "Shame On Me" shows a remarkable understanding of the truest country music traditions. As pointed out by another reviewer, "House Across the Bay" recalls the longing of "Marina Del Rey", which is still moving nearly 30 years later. The collection is balanced with humor in "Lone Star Blues" and "Blue Marlin Blues", and the up-tempo instant romantic classic, "Love's Gonna Make It Alright", which is on par with classics like "Check Yes Or No." The honesty of "A Showman's Life" reveals the strain of fame and success. "Three Nails and a Cross" gently reminds us that it's actually okay to rely on a higher power...a notion that's pretty foreign to a lot of singers today. That leaves "I'll Always Remember You", which may be the finest "thank-you" any performer ever offered his loyal fans.

The recent "Troubadour" and "Twang" each had some great tracks, but "Here For A Good Time" is even stronger from start to finish. Thank you, Mr. Strait. We'll always remember you, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my Expectations, September 6, 2011
This review is from: Here For A Good Time (MP3 Music)
Wow - this album (sorry they will always be albums to me) is FANTASTIC.

Normally there is a track that I may skip over, not on this one. I loved it so much that after buying the CD I also bought the MP3 download for my Cloud player, and have been listening to it non stop at work.

George's voice just seems to get better and better. It starts off with

Love's Gonna Make it All Right - Love the tune.

Lone Star Blues - Classic George

Blue Marlin Blues - Love Love Love - Would love for him to come out with more of this particular sound.

I'll Always Remember You - Aww[...] Please don't leave us anytime soon.

Really be instantly gratified and buy this on the download.

If you like George Strait you will love this CD. He continually out does himself, and this album is no exception.

It has been great following him though the years and hearing his voice mature. I don't think it has ever been better. The man can sing anything, whether a Sinatra like song, or a Blues tune.

5.0 out of 5 stars King George does it again, September 29, 2011
Music Lover (Alpharetta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Here for a Good Time (Audio CD)
I mean, really, can the man make bad music? He could sing the phone book with a fiddle and a steel guitar and it would sound better than most of the stuff being put out today. This is one of the few artist that I would risk buying a per-released album before ever hearing a single song. I liked every song on this CD! Another great album from the man who knows how to sing country music.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT, May 30, 2013
Boots ("The South") - See all my reviews
This review is from: Here for a Good Time (Audio CD)
Let's face it. When have we heard a "bad" George CD? He just keeps on getting better with each one that comes out. I'm sorry (for me) to hear that he is retiring and hope that he will "come out", say hi and sing for us every once in a while! I've seen him twice in concert and really wanted to attend his "last" tour, but wasn't able to do so. Hate that I missed the farewell tour

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a good time!, May 11, 2013
This review is from: Here for a Good Time (Audio CD)
I bought this album because I have had several friends who have died young and it just epitomized their journeys. George's smooth voice did the trick again!

Here for a Good Time
Here for a Good Time by George Strait (Audio CD - 2011)
Rate and Discover Movies