5.0 out of 5 stars swimming with the fishes

Published on October 15, 2009 by Willaim E. Tynor III

5.0 out of 5 stars swimming with the fishes, June 16, 2009
D. Breneman (New Hampshire, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Here We Go Magic (Audio CD)
The TUNNELVISION track is gorgeous and hypnotic, the kind of song you want to listen to over and over. It alone makes this album worth it. FANGELA is close behind; some people like it best from what I've seen online. I like AHAB a lot, and ONLY PIECES as well as UNDERWATER. The so-called noise section didn't do it for me at first, but it's grown on me some. It has a soothing quality as background sound. BIG is kind of goofy but charming and poignant at the same time. It's an unusual mixture of down lyrics and up melody. I saw the group live at the Berklee Performance Center in Boston and they knocked everyone out. Most of the people were there to see Grizzly Bear and they were saying, "Wow, who are these guys?"

4.0 out of 5 stars Echoes of Talking Heads and Paul Simon, July 7, 2010
JG "wordmule" (...onward....thru the fog!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Here We Go Magic (Audio CD)
I recently caught the tail end of a "Here we go Magic" song on the local college radio station. Lucky for me, it was also the last song of a set, and the DJ came on and said "...that last one was by...". So I made a mental note to order the CD whenever I'd get a chance. I made a mistake when I placed my order, and instead of ordering "Pigeons", which the radio song came from, I ordered the self titled "Here we go..." from last year.

Well, it's been said that through synchronicity we stumble upon new things, or, alternatively, always hope for happy accidents, since the album turned out to be quite good.

It begins with a polyrhythm seemingly straight out of Paul Simon's "Rhythm of the Saints". "This is already starting out good" I think to myself. The rhythms are followed by Simon vocal stylings without being annoying. Three songs into the CD, though, things start getting into more of a David Byrne/Talking Heads circa Bush of Ghosts and Remain In Light sound, even down to the Adrian Belew sounding guitar....wait, is that you, Adrian? Maybe, maybe not.

In any case, as the CD progresses, one gets the impression that hallucinogens might have been involved during the recording sessions. And that's a good thing.

The album finishes off with a Beatles inflected song. Overall, it's a great CD. Now I just need to order "Pigeons", and we'll see where this psychedelic train ends up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jammy, 60's inspired, psychedelic rock, October 15, 2009
This review is from: Here We Go Magic (Audio CD)
Jammy, 60's inspired, psychedelic rock without the 6-12 minute sessions that have been known to wear out potential listeners of The Black Angels and Brian Jonestown Massacre. Much like BJM, Here We Go Magic is a band centered around a one man show; a well mannered and tempered Luke Temple. Why does the last track , "Everything's Big", say (Featuring Luke Temple) if they ALL feature Luke Temple?

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic....indeed, February 28, 2009
Lois (Bailey Island, Maine, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Here We Go Magic (Audio CD)
There are many reviews of this ablum on the Internet, so I won't critique it here. I'll just say that I really enjoy listening to this album in its entirity and am really glad I have all the songs. I think it's also important to note that you will not get much of an idea about any of the songs from the samples. They are so short that they really do the album songs a disservice.

While I have my favorite tracks, listening to the entire album one song after the other brings its own special enjoyment. It's a great collection of work, and I'm looking forward to the next HWGM offering.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, bad MP3s, September 18, 2009
V. Cooper (Big Sur, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Here We Go Magic (MP3 Music)
I really liked these songs Only Pieces, Ahab and Tunnelvision. The problem for me is that the sound on the MP3's I bought are pretty bad. Distorted like the levels were set too high. I DJ and I keep wanting to use these tracks but they sound awful in a large room. I have plenty of great sounding MP3's from Amazon so I know it's not the compression. Wondering if anyone knows if the CD is any better. There seems to be a strange trend towards bad sound these days on purpose. If that is the case then I don't get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great vinyl, May 27, 2013
This review is from: Here We Go Magic [Vinyl] (Vinyl)
Great vinyl. Stop thinking and get to buying. Came w/ mp3 download card as promised.., unlike other vinyls I have ordered from amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars The songs are good. The noise, not so much., February 12, 2009
This review is from: Here We Go Magic (MP3 Music)
Unless you're a fan of noise, you can safely live without tracks 5,7, and 8. Otherwise, very nice songs.

Here We Go Magic
Here We Go Magic by Here We Go Magic (Audio CD - 2009)