5.0 out of 5 stars Touched my funnybone
Published on December 1, 2009 by Michael J. Dilena

2.0 out of 5 stars Love Howie, but not what I expected!
Published on January 7, 2010 by S. Gard

5.0 out of 5 stars Touched my funnybone, December 1, 2009
Howie Mandel (that's one "l" not two,) has been one of the funniest comedians to come around in over two decades. In this personal biography, Mandel entails his funniest moments throughout his professional, as well as his personal life. Mandel struggles on a daily basis with his diagnosed "OCD" and "HDHD," but he has the unique ability to find humor in the very uncomfortable situations that only he can.
Halfway through the book, the reader feels as though he knows Mandel on a personal level. The stories that he relates as a young man trying to find himself are both sincere and gut wrenchingly hysterical. The man sure knows how to spin a yarn, and we the reader are fortunate for it.
The book chronicles his career from being a young boy, until being a huge commercial success with the popular game show "Deal or no Deal," and his hidden camera show, "Howie Do It." If you don't laugh out loud reading this memoir, then you do not know what funny is.

2.0 out of 5 stars Love Howie, but not what I expected!, January 7, 2010
S. Gard (Murfreesboro, TN USA) - See all my reviews
I ask for this book for Christmas, because I have OCD, hoping to read about someone else and learn from their own experience with this disorder. I love Howie Mandel, but this book offers nothing on OCD, instead it is a autobiography on how Howie got to where he is today, with some shocking things that I really didn't need to know, like how he can be really vulgar at times, using the f--- word a lot, when on stage and not getting the reaction from the audience that he wants, and how he can play some really, really, cruel jokes on really good friends, taking it way to far. I still love him, but I think he needs to take responsibility for his actions, and even with ADHD, that is no excuse for bad behavior. If you want to learn about OCD, this is not the book to buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud, December 5, 2009
About: Biography of comedian Howie Mandel, Adult ADHD and OCD sufferer, germophobe and host of Deal Or No Deal

Pros: Easy read. Funny, I laughed out loud a few times. Learned some tidbits about Howie that I didn't know: He was the voice of Gizmo in Gremlins as well as the voice of Animal, Skeeter and Bunsen Honeydew in the Muppet Babies cartoon. He also never finished high school.

Cons: I would've liked more discussion of his mental health issues as the book is mostly the story of Howie the comedian and not Howie the germophobe.

Grade: B

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, December 4, 2009
Howie Mandel has written a gift of a book!! Its funny, yes. But its more than funny, its sad, maddening, frustrating because he writes about the hell he went thru as a child, into his adult years and how utterly scary it can be to be around germs and other peoples residue. And not only is he OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) but he had ADHD which would be hard enough on its own. He writes of how his humor has been a wonderful tool. He writes lovingly of how his personal issues have effected his wife and three children. Am buying extra copies for a few friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars great reading, December 7, 2009
This book was one of the most enjoyable autobiographies that I have read. The only fault with it is that it is a fast read and I would
like having 200 more pages of it to enjoy. He writes from the heart and you can really feel for him and his family. I actually laughed
so hard I cried in parts. I hope he will be able to control his ADHD long enough to write another book because I would truly love to
continue his stories.

2.0 out of 5 stars Book's good, but Howie has problems he refuses to deal with..., April 19, 2010
To be honest, there are parts of this book that I like a lot, such as when Howie speaks about his first gig at Yuk Yuks, and you get...well, never mind...I have a definite 'verbosity' problem, so, there's no 'long-story-short' version of my little review. Stop reading now if you're in a hurry. Basically, I nearly gave up on the book after about the twelfth time that Howie apologizes to the world for the fact that he never looks past the minute he's living in, to reflect on the possible consequences of his admittedly impulsive nature. Now, from what little there is in the book to describe some of his activities as a child, it's not easy to make an easy-chair-Monday-morning-quarterback-nickle diagnosis of his ADD/ADHD problems, but, he just plain doesn't compare with the severity of MY diagnosed-during-early-childhood ADD/ADHD. I'm also one of the 8-12% of children with ADD/ADHD problems that take their problem into adulthood. I am also being treated for this. And as bad as my hyperactivity/distractability is, (and it's bad), I am well aware of the fact that you can blame the impulsivity for about the first 3 seconds of inappropriate behavior. After that, you have to take responsibility for what you're doing, and it seems to me that Howie is throwing out too many damn apologies for his behavior. Some of what he describes in his book is flat-out anti-social behavior. I'm not sure that I'll finish the book, even though it's mainly enjoyable, but I know for an absolute FACT that I have zero interest in ever meeting this guy. To me, he's very inconsiderate and thoughtless, he knows it, and he continues to blame his behavior on his 'impulsivity', which does NOT takes years of psychotherapy to ameliorate. Funny guy, (very), but I actually feel sorry for him. As successful as he is as a man, to me he _refused_ to grow up, once he found the opiate of applause...

2.0 out of 5 stars My name is Howie and I'm a narcissist, January 15, 2010
If ever a Narcissists Anonymous self help group is established, Howie Mandell should be candidate No. 1! I actually bought this book more for the insight into how his comedy career got started, than anything to do with OCD or ADHD. I basically got what I was looking for and that's fine, but the rest I could do without. Seems alot of other reviewers share my sentiments that Howie Mandel is not the warm and fuzzy fella he's portrayed as. Way too much "look at me" without valid reasons and not enough empathy for the world around him, which is strange, given that he expects as much empathy as he can extract from the world.

I didn't laugh out loud at anything, but I did cringe very uncomfortably at the stories of how he'd hurt, embarrassed or shamed others. I don't find that funny at all, and it kind of negates any of the comedic do-well that might otherwise exist.

Not impressed, Howie. So many reiterations about the latest new label he can apply to himself: comedian, father, husband, recording artist, bla bla bla ... pat Howie on the back and give him a cookie. This review was never meant to be so harsh, but seriously, I read the last few chapters this morning and felt embarrassed for him.

Not that any of this will hurt Howie Mandel. As he repeatedly mentioned in the book, he loves any attention, even negative attention. So here you go, Howie, lap it up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and entertaining, December 6, 2009
Denise G (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
I've always been a fan of Howie Mandel's comedy and was surprised to find that I like his serious, (game show host) side just as much. Deal or No Deal is one of my favorite shows!
Howie's life, as so honestly shared in this memoir, is proof that when we remain true to ourselves and our passion, success is likely to follow. I applaud Howie for revealing some embarrassing moments when his impulses got the best of him, and also for respecting the privacy of his children by NOT revealing many details about their own lives.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Loved It, February 22, 2011
I loved this funny and revealing memoir by the hugely likeable Howie Mandel. He revealed his feelings and recounted lots of life experiences that were funny, and I mean I really did laugh out loud. I'm sure the others in the waiting area at the car dealership were wondering what I was laughing at. But he doesn't stop at funny, the book is in fact mostly matter-of-fact and even serious (with a thread of funny through it, because that's Howie.)

Right off the bat, he starts with his OCD, and it is fascinating. He has a lot of guts, he's very honest. We also hear about the heartbreaking loss of his dad, his struggles with having no friends as a kid because of his weird habits and wild sense of humor and immature unawareness of appropriate boundaries, and his recent medical scares with his heart. He talks a bit about his wife and kids, including another LOL moment describing taking his little daughter on the swings, within earshot but out of sight of the neighbors. But he obviously is respecting their privacy (or maybe their restraining orders!) and keeps personal details about THEM out of it.

Recommendation: Absolutely loved it, and highly recommend for fans of Howie Mandel, fans of celebrity memoirs, those living with OCD--but only if you have a sense of humor!--and readers who like to be absorbed in a funny story.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointing, December 27, 2009
Howie Mandel could have helped so many people suffering from OCD if he had spent even a little bit of time describing how he has fought OCD to prevent it taking over his life. There is very little about OCD or how he controls it in this book. Most of the book is a description of Howie Mandel's professional career. There are a number of unnecessarily vulgar sexual experiences described which detract significantly from the book. He uses his impulsiveness as an excuse for a cruel practical joke on his best friend. Sorry, but impulsiveness isn't a valid excuse and Howie should take responsibility for the choices that he makes - and try to learn from them. If you really want to learn about OCD look for Jeff Bell's, "Replay, Rewind, Repeat."

Here's the Deal: Don't Touch Me