Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

• Hero

96%
Format: Paperback|Change

on August 28, 2009
There is not a better speaker and evangelist today that is more real and passionate about proclaiming and living out true Biblical Christianity than Derwin Gray. Outside of the Bible, this is one of the most impactful books you can read to help strengthen your walk with Christ. And this is not just a book specifically for men either - women will also find this book to be a blessing and an encouragement. Derwin's writing and the profound insights provided by his wife Vicki will challenge you to think and act on your mission and purpose as a follower of Christ. And if your not a follower of Christ, check it out and come to know the One who is our Great Hero!

11/19/09 Update: Almost 3 months have passed since I wrote my initial review and I still can't say enough about this book and the principles taught of living heroically - Upward, Inward, Outward. Thanks Derwin and Vicki for allowing the Holy Spirit to work through you in the writing of this book.
on January 12, 2010
If you are contemplating buying this book, DO NOT PASS IT UP! Buy this book! I just finished it and I wish I could find the words to describe to you the change it has made already in my life. As a Fire Fighter, I can honestly say I had no idea what being a Hero really meant, until I read this book! It will change your life. God works in many ways, and I believe he worked through Derwin to relay his message and love through this book. The awesome thing about it is, it has chapters for all of us! If you are single and need answers, it will help you. If you are like me; married, it has a section for you! If you know someone whom you think needs to know God or be closer to him, there is a section in this book that talks to all of us. This is no sales gimmick! I want you to feel like I do still right now. I finished this book last night and sent Derwin a email thanking him for such an awesome book. You know what.....I woke up this morning and there was a reply from him thanking me for the email. God is working in me and will work in you too. When you buy this book, find a nice quiet place to start reading it with your bible next to you. I used my bible with this book every night!

God Bless you,

JT
on October 24, 2009
"Hero" is about living with a God-seized heart and heroic passion that will change a man and his world form the inside out. It's a message that is desperately needed to rescue the hearts of our men. It's personal, powerful and practical!

Derwin Gray not only writes this heroic message - he lives it! For over ten years I have watched his authentic life and passionate Biblical teaching infuse Spiritual courage into the hearts of men who had grown numb in a culture that is filled with disappointment and disillusion. Derwin challenges men to become a hero while drawing them closer to the Hero heart of God!

This book is for the man who is willing to fight for the life he was created to live. I'll also be recommending to every woman I know who longs to understand and influence the heart of her man - whether it be husband, son, brother or father - with God's heroic dream for his life!

Renee Swope ~ National Speaker, Author and Radio Show Co-Host
Executive Director, Proverbs31 Ministries
[...].
on October 17, 2009
Hero: Unleashing God's Power in a Man's Heart, former NFL team captain and founder of One Heart at a Time Ministries, Derwin Gray calls men to live heroic lives by allowing God to rule in their hearts. This book is beneficial for men and women alike.

Men are made by God to be heroes, so why is there a failure in our culture to live like it? Hero is divided up into three sections: The upward journey, the inward journey and the outward journey. Gray shares about his difficult and painful childhood in San Antonio to the excitement of playing for the NFL. Gray has the gift of weaving his testimony with a strong emphasis on scripture to show how we can as every day people can become heroes. This is a practical read for readers of all ages.

As a mother raising three boys, I believe this book was great. Unfortunately society plays down the role of manhood and Derwin Gray does a beautiful job helping readers see what being a man of God looks like.
on August 13, 2009
From a painful and difficult childhood, to the thrill of playing in the NFL and through the agony of a young wife's battle with cancer, the author points readers to a hopeful future that can only be found by embracing life's proven Great Hero - Jesus. Through first person testimony and a heavy reliance on God's Word D. Gray shares how everyday people like you and me, male or female, at every age-level, can shed the weights of the past and become heroes in our everyday world. "Hero" is an extremely helpful and practical read for anyone wanting to experience a full and meaningful life regardless of what they have done or experienced in the past.
on August 22, 2009
Derwin Gray has an innate gift to take scripture and make it applicable to real life situations. Scripture that can be somewhat overwhelming and might even turn some away from Christ is simply stated but powerfully gripping to bring you into the word of God! No matter what or who you were is not who you are and have to be. Derwin's stories, Vicki's prayers and insight, take you on a journey of relationship, love, grace, and respect, to become all you are meant to be in Christ. There are no boundaries, age, race, gender, there is something EVERYONE can relate to and learn in this book!
on August 20, 2009
In the spirit of Purpose Driven Life, Wild at Heart and Experiencing God, Hero fits right in.

Derwin takes on virtually every worldly topic attacking our hearts. He gives us insightful, inspiring, practical and God glorifying knowledge tools to combat evil forces.

I personally reconnected with one of God's characteristic that I had long forgotten about.

Vicki's prayers and insights are the perfect respite as Derwin walks us through some difficult truths.

Thank you Derwin, Vicki and most of all God for such great wisdom!
on August 27, 2009
I highly recommend this book regardless of whether you are a man or woman. Derwin will take you on a spiritual journey that begins with correctly relating to God and then how to correctly love yourself and to reach out in such a way to impact the world around you. His insights are supported by those of his wife, Vicki, who brings a woman's perpective to the journey. No matter where you are at on your spiritual journey this book will help you.
on August 7, 2009
I am not a reader but decided to to read this book because I am in search of something. I love it. Its real, its relatable, its love. Its a must read if you are a mother, father, brother, spouse, or even a single. It will make a difference in your life and help you reflect on your heart and guide you to be the person God created you to be.
on August 19, 2009
This book is NOT to be read straight through. It's to be read chapter by chapter allowing the truths Derwin conveys to sick in. I've read other devotional books for men and none have hit the depths of the heart like this one. I highly recommend this book to anyone...not just men.