5.0 out of 5 stars Swift and Thorough
Published on November 21, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Greek Myths
In the book, it talks about the Greek gods and when it is talking about the Greek gods it includes at least 1 myth about that god. An example is when Zeus dethroned his father Cronos because his father Cronos ate all of his brothers and sisters. Cronos didn't just eat his brothers and sisters for fun but, he ate them because he was told one of his sons was going to...
Published 21 months ago by crazy gator jmb

5.0 out of 5 stars Swift and Thorough, November 21, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Heroes, Gods and Monsters of the Greek Myths (Mass Market Paperback)
I found this book browsing in a bookstore. At first glance it looked like a cheap knock-off under the guise of mythology. However, I was captivated by the authors introduction, in which he explains how as a child the myths were read to him in Greek, and much was lost in the English translations he later heard- so this book is his way to communicate the myths as comprehensive and story-like as possible. He succeed on all levels.
I have read many English versions ancient Greek texts, and this one has an excellent flow that is not acheived by mere translation. This book helped me to learn about the characters in the Greek myths and legends better than any other, in the sense that the stories are presented in a MEMORABLE way. Now I can read other texts with a real sense of knowing who everyone is.
The book is a quick and captivating read, could be done in one day. I thank the author for his outstanding job. He has acheived a book which compliments the myths of the Greeks, and other translations can compliment this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, January 22, 2004
By A Customer
I picked up this book at the library on a whim one day, when I just happened to be poking around the non-fiction section (very uncharacteristic of me). Now, this book may be non-fiction because the writer didn't invent the stories, but it reads just as interestingly as a fiction book. I knew a bit about Greek mythology, and was vaguely interested in it, but after reading this book, I want all the Greek mythology books that I can get my hands on and am even considering studying it in college.
Don't let the low reading level discourage you--I found this in the adult section, and it's undoubtedly where it belongs! This book can aid in understanding words and references to Greek myths in everyday life, and I never knew there were so many of them! If you're interested in learning more about Greek mythology, this would definitely be a GREAT place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars The beginning of a lifelong passion, March 4, 2004
By A Customer
I first met this book through a series of LP records in my local library as a child; I later read the book. It's still my favorite telling of the Greek myths, and it spawned a facination for the folklore and mythology that has been a great source of pleasure for my entire life (I'm now in my late thirties). I can't recommend this book enough, regardless of the reader's age; Evslin's telling of them gives life and personality to the characters that can't be found in any other version of the myths.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Useful and Entertaining, July 24, 2001
Joel Quevedo (Greenacres, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This text was my first major teaching assignment and both I and the students enjoyed this book of mythology. Evslin is an easy read and a very compelling storyteller. It's wonderful beginners book as well as an excellent reference. The book contain all of the major gods, concentrating on their origins and major myths that involve each one. Heroes such as Perseus, Theseus, Atalanta, and Daedalus are included. I was disappointed that Hercules was not included; however, his mythology is rather long and widely known, which is probably why it was left out. Other myths included: King Midas, Pygmalion, Echo and Psyche, Phaethon and many others. This is an excellent source for beginners and students. If you are already versed in Greek mythology, you may find the lack of certain myths discouraging, but I do encourage you to revisit a wonderful telling of myths that probably got you interested in Greek mythology in the first place.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Introduction, May 8, 2009
I read this book for my sixth grade reading class, and liked it so much that I nabbed it. It's incredibly entertaining. The author makes the myths completely captivating. The price, though, is accuracy. He does take some liberties with the stories, and occasionally stops half way through--I think he did this with the myth of Eros and Psyche: he cut off at the bit where Eros flew away and the castle disappeared. No idea why, the next bit's the best. Anyway, it's a really wonderful introduction to Greek mythology, not dry in the least. I highly recommend it. If you do get it and end up interested, though, you really should pick up another book that's more complete and true to the original myths.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looooved it, November 18, 2001
By A Customer
I read this book in like 3rd grade and have been looking for it to read it again and again! i loved how the author also had the less common stories like Atalanta and Orpheus. It had me going from the moment i checked it out until the moment i closed the back cover. It's useful also for projects and very informative, yet interesting, which is an odd combo. Overall, i loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolutely Excellent Book, August 1, 2001
C. Sellers "oncogenic" (belton, tx United States) - See all my reviews
Evslin does an oustanding job telling the most famous of the greek myths and does it with his hands tied or does he? Evslin wrote this book, I think, intending it for a young audience, and so does not delve into the prose that others have when attacking these greek myths. Yet with simple language and direct verse, he quite excellently brings out a depth in the characters and a second meaning in stories which have rung hollow or been lost by other, supposedly great poets. Even if you don't fancy yourself a myth lover, this is an excellent read and easy, yet thoroughly satisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful introduction to Greek Mythology, October 2, 1998
By A Customer
I have read this book with my sixth grade students each of the last twenty years. Every year I have the pleasure of watching Bernard Evslin's book cast its spell upon a new and enthusiatic audience. His clear, straightforward narrative resonates with wit and humor all at a level that my students can appreciate. Mr. Evslin's book is highly entertaining. What a lovely way to introduce children to Greek Mythology. Three cheers for Bernard Evslin!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Introduction to Greek Mythology, February 7, 2009
This book is a pretty good introduction to Greek Mythology. It includes the myths for most of the main gods on Olympus, plus other mythological heroes like Perseus, and other myths such as Echo and Narcissus, and Atalanta. Generally, it's good for middle school and early high school kids because it does not have most of the sexual content that the original myths have. ~A. Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars a great intro to the myths, April 12, 2008
I have truly enjoyed reading this book. I have some children's books on mythology that I read to my kids, and I found the topic so interesting I wanted a little something for myself. This is a great light reading of mythology for adults (or teens). I have always had a fascination with greek mythology - but when I took a college course in greek mythology - I felt that the professor pretty much killed any interest I had in the topic. Basically he threw us into some difficult text without much background info - and I ended up bored and "un-enlightened". Thankfully I rekindled this interest by reading to my kids. This particular book is just wonderful, especially if you are new to mythology - because the writing is very straight forward and accessible, yet fun and intriguing. Had I just started with this book in college, I probably would have read many more books, and ultimately waded into the more complex writing of the Greek plays. This is just the book to stoke the flames for anybody looking for a first adult book about the greek myths.

Heroes, Gods and Monsters of the Greek Myths
Heroes, Gods and Monsters of the Greek Myths by Bernard Evslin (Mass Market Paperback - October 1, 1984)
$6.99 $6.29