Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Heroes
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

89%
11%
Format: Audio CD|Change

Although this was the first time that Johnny and Waylon had teamed up to record an entire album, they had recorded a couple of duets before, scoring a seventies country hit together with There ain't no good chain gang. Later, both of them teamed up with Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson as the Highwaymen. Perhaps because of those three Highwaymen albums, this one tends to get overlooked, but it does not deserve that fate.

Although this album contains several cover versions, none of them have been over-recorded. To country music fans, perhaps the most familiar songs will be Ballad of forty dollars (one of Tom T Hall's classic songs) and Even cowgirls get the blues (one of two Rodney Crowell songs here). The latter song has been recorded by several female singers including Emmylou Harris, who recorded it at mid-tempo pace (as Johnny and Waylon do here) with backing vocals by Dolly Parton and Linda Ronstadt, and Lynn Anderson, who recorded an up-tempo version in 1980 and later re-recorded it for her sensational Cowboy's sweetheart album in the nineties. Tanya Tucker's sister LaCosta also recorded it, but I'm not sure if I ever heard her version. Apart from the version here, I haven't heard any other male versions although I know that Rodney Crowell recorded his own version.

Other covers include I'm never gonna roam again (the other Rodney Crowell song here), One too many mornings (Bob Dylan), Love is the way (Kris Kristofferson) and Folks out on the road (Eddy Raven). Johnny co-wrote the excellent Field of diamonds. The other songs (American by birth, Heroes, I'll always love you in my own crazy way) are all wonderful and could be original songs, but I'm not sure.

I regard this album as a classic. If you are a fan of Johnny or Waylon, or merely love top quality country music the way it used to be, you are likely to enjoy this album.
on February 26, 2015
An absolutely wonderful CD. I have been trying to get this CD for years, but the price was so high. I was able to get a great price from Amazon. So happy to finally have this CD. This is a must have for any Waylon Jennings or Johnny Cash fans!!!! I happen to love them both!!! Every song on this CD is great. It is wonderful to have Johnny and Waylon singing together at their best. This CD comes highly recommended!!!! You won't be disappointed. Grab it now, while you can!!!!!
on August 23, 2000
This CD includes "Field of Diamonds," a fast-moving piece which provides a nice philosophical counterpoint to the wry comments on human nature in "Ballad of Forty Dollars" ("some women do look good in black. . .") The supposedly sympathetic, "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" ("they need the reins laid on 'em loose. . .") can be borne because the music has the traditional Johnny Cash beat. The blending of voices from these veteran country singers gives younger performers a standard of performance to aim at. These guys obviously had a good time recording the songs--their joy is palpable. Since I personally like voices with a little "tooth," this is one of my favorites. I'm ordering another copy today.
on September 19, 2013
I bought this when it first came out. I dont remember if there were one or two Highwaymen albums at the time. But I had them also. And I do kind of think the four of them together were the Mount Rushmore of country music. So I bought this because it was Waylon. If Waylon had recorded it by himself and it was his album. I would have bought it. If it had been Johnny Cash by himself. I might have bought it. But I might not have.
So the two of them recorded this and there weren't any hits on it. And I dont remember any of these songs being played on the radio. It opens with Eddy Raven's Folks Out On The Road. Which is sort of a tribute to the fans who come to concerts. And a song that fans can relate to. It is one of the best songs on the cd. I think my favorite song is American By Birth which is self explanatory. Even Cowgirls Get The Blues is done from a man's point of view. And they do a good job on it. And I think they do a good job on Ballad Of Forty Dollars. Just as good as Tom T. Hall's original version. I dont know if this is hard to find. I know you can get it on Johnny Cash's box set of Original Colombia Recordings. Both of these true country icons are gone. So I would say get it if you can.
on July 22, 2015
Arrived as expected; timely and the cassette was just as described.
on March 13, 2014
The songs may not be as catchy as one would like but there are some gems on here and lets be clear, any song with Waylon and Johnny is never a bad thing.
on January 13, 2015
Lp as described. ackaging well done. Shipping time excellent
on December 8, 2014