Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 8, 2012
why is that relevant? because when i read something, i tend not to get it the first time i read it. so i can get through a book in about two or three weeks. i'll get some of it but not all of it... so when i listen to the Audio book it clears up questions i may have had. allows my imagination to run a little more freely...

i absolutely adored this book. all four times i read it... i cannot wait for the next one... (he needs to hurry!) i enjoyed it. the first time i read the book (actual book) the second time i listen to the audio. then the third i listen while i follow along the fourth is for pure nerddom XD

i've already reviewed the book else where but it won't hurt to say this, they way he wrote the characters is amazing. when it's in the character's perspective, you actually feel embarrassed when they're embarrassed. you feel weirded out when they're weirded out.

::SPOILER:: i CRIED when Leo and Hazel had their mental journey and Sammy was apologizing to Hazel about the past... it was SO SWEET! and when Percy decided not to part with Annabeth as they BOTH fell into Tartarus? O! M! G! I! CRIED! it was SO SWEET! i can't even get my boyfriend to come into Victoria's secret with me and PERCY goes to TARTARUS so he doesn't have to be separated from his girlfriend again. (i'm tearing up just thinking about it...)

it was a well written book and filled with action...
it seemed a little rushed in places and it felt a little slow in others... some of the situations seem forced to me. and other seemed out of place. but i'm very happy that this doesn't talk down to people and make them feel like and idiot. it's a book that EVERYONE can enjoy not just 13-16 year-old teens.

Rick really paints the picture of this mythos taking place in our time as he uses actual names of places, streets, and hotel. most, if not all of the streets and hotels and what not can be looked up on Google Maps and Wikipedia, so that means you child (or yourself) can learn about other places as well as getting letting their imagination flow with the books of the two series. (PJatO and HoO) it also gets them learning about ancient culture. i've always been fascinated with the Greek Myths and got into the books by the movie (as it usually goes with me. Harry potter Twilight a few others) and because of this book it got me looking up names i never would have done on my own... (been out of school a long time...) if it did that for me imagine what it would do for your children. it may get them interested in history or something.

anyway, i really enjoyed this book and i hope you and/or your children/child will too.
^-^ Haku
on October 7, 2012
First Sentence: Until she met the exploding statue, Annabeth thought she was prepared for anything.

A Quick Synopsis: In the third book in the Heroes of Olympus series, all your favourite heroes are back and ready to fight. Percy and Annabeth are about to be reunited...but Camp Jupiter may be preparing for war. Not only that, but seven demigods must embark on a quest to close the Doors of Death as well as to follow the Mark of Athena. Can Romans and Greeks truly work together? Or will the growing tension between them be the end of them all?

The Review: Rick Riordan books are so popular at my school that when the day of a new book release dawns, you'd think that a sudden public holiday had been declared. The hallways are full with kids showing their new book to their rightfully jealous friends. Those friends storm the school library placing a reserve on the aforementioned book. Even the teachers are aware of this hullabaloo. They smile when they hear the students discussing the book at lunch. Although I was not lucky enough to snatch a copy of the book on release day, I was able to grab a copy three days after its release. I, however, did not believe that it was worth all the hype. I know, I know, blasphemy, blasphemy, how could I say such a thing? Well, here's why.

First of all, the book is the longest Riordan book by far, clocking in at nearly 600 pages. Normally, this is a cause for happiness and rejoicing. However, that's not the case here. The Mark of Athena takes an unusually long time in getting off the ground. I also felt that there was not enough action or suspense to keep the plot flowing. And here's the strangest part--I thought there was even filler parts in the book! Don't worry. I'm just as shocked as you are.

Secondly, the humour. Riordan scored on an irresistible blend of humour, heart, and action in The Lightning Thief. But lately, it feels like that formula is being rehashed over and over again just so he can produce new books or--Heaven forbid--he can make his money. It's more of the same here, and when the only laugh-out-loud moment in a Riordan book, or any book, for that matter, is when Pokemon is referenced in passing, you know you've got a problem. Speaking of more of the same, I thought in general that this book was more of the same. In The Lost Hero and The Son of Neptune, we were introduced to fascinating new characters and gods. In The Mark of Athena, there's really nothing new. Sure, there's the fact that the demigods end up in Rome in eventually, but the setting isn't that interesting or well-developed. I felt like it had a presence in the book for a few pages and then just disappeared.

Lastly, the ending. I am sure that I am not alone when I say that the ending of the book is truly a killer ending! It is a cliffhanger...too much of a cliffhanger. I felt like the book ended just when the climax was beginning. That isn't a good sign. It was too abrupt, and there was only one chapter following it that seemed to be gearing us up for the next book. On the bright side, though, Riordan's characters are still as lovable as ever, and you will continue to care for them in this volume.

Now, I'm certainly not trying to say that this is the end of the world for Rick Riordan. With ten books for kids already out, it was only inevitable that he would falter eventually. While The Mark of Athena wasn't as great as its predecessors, it is a worthy addition to the series. And a standard Riordan book is better than the majority of Young Adult stuff out there. Most importantly, did it make me want to keep reading the series? You betcha. I'll still be on the Olympus rollercoaster when The House of Hades launches next year, and while my enthusiasm may be slightly diminished, I can't wait!

Memorable Quote: The Prophecy of Seven was unfolding at last. No more waiting for Leo to finish the ship. No more easy days at Camp Half-Blood, pretending the future was still a long way off. They were under way. with a bunch of angry Romans behind them and the ancient lands ahead. The giants would be waiting. Gaea was rising. And unless they succeeded in this quest, the world would be destroyed.
on November 5, 2012
this was a gift for a friend and she seems to really enjoy it. i have no idea what the story is about but it was shipped fast and packaged nicely. it was hard bound i believe and from what the jason bourne movies have taught me, it would also make a great defensive weapon.
on October 6, 2012
Hi. My name is Merin, and I am a Percy Jackson addict.

I love Percy the way a mother loves her child. I am blind to his faults, and adore him even when he's being a sarcastic pain in the ass. My feelings for him are such that I am physically incapable of giving this book anything less than five stars. Even though Percy isn't the main point of view character he was in his title series, these books are what they are because of him, and his involvement makes it nearly impossible for me to be objective.

That being said? This book is absolutely FABULOUS.

The elements that made the previous installments so great are ever-present in THE MARK OF ATHENA. You still have the humor, the action, and the emotional journeys of the characters. And most of all, you still have Percy being Percy. Except this is a more mature, more tested, more grown up Percy. He's still hilarious, still the character who says things he shouldn't. But he's also the guy who is totally in love with Annabeth, and their relationship is what's really at the heart of this book. Yes, they're trying to figure out how to keep Gaea from waking, and they're going to have to reunite the Greek and Roman camps. But what the previous two books have taught us is that their feelings for each other - their inability to live without the other - have created what is probably the best "One True Pair" of all time. NO ONE will ever be able to compare to Percy and Annabeth, and that's saying something when you consider that they're not even seventeen yet.

"Yeah," Percy said. "I learned a long time ago: NEVER bet against Annabeth." - 53%

Of course, I can wax poetically about how awesome Percy and Annabeth are together until the end of days, and it still will only encompass part of what made this book so fantastic. The truth is, Annabeth ROCKS this book. She is tough, headstrong, and stubborn, and while she is confronted with some very serious weaknesses, she never gives up, even when things are going against her. Honestly, if you have ANYTHING bad to say about Annabeth after reading this book, please do it elsewhere, because I will be like Octavian in that dock scene; I will be unable to hear you over the wax in my ears. I don't know what the next book is going to bring for Annabeth and Percy, but I have faith that they will be able to overcome whatever it is just because they are together, and as Annabeth said in this book, being with Percy always makes her feel braver. And she's definitely going to need a whole lot of that.

Now, just so this doesn't dissolve into a Annabeth and Percy lovefest, here were some other things I loved about this book. The return of the "dam" joke. The Jason/Percy bromance; I really think these two can be best buds forever. Leo being absolutely kick-ass, and the way he felt like an outsider and became such an integral part of the quest. Piper's brief moments of being awesome (I wish there was more of this and less of her waxing on about Jason). The Hazel and Leo backstory. Jason and Percy working together. The glimpses of the gods and goddesses. Aphrodite's tea party. The ever-present humor interspersed with all the action and adventure. The way that all seven demigods have realized that they can't do this alone and are going to have to work together. The way Riordan combined the Greek and Roman stories together. Reyna. The scene where Annabeth drops her dagger and Percy is awesome. Annabeth's ability to face her worst fear. The Percy/Annabeth reunion scene. All of the Annabeth backstory, which answered nearly every single question I had about her. All of the absolutely hilarious lines.

To sum up: this book was everything I wanted it to be, and more. I love that we got an Annabeth point of view, and I absolutely adored her voice. There were lots of achy-breaky moments in this book, but it just made everything seem more realistic, and it hurt in the good way. Be forewarned, though, that if you read this book, you're going to want the next one immediately. My only complaint is that we're going to have to wait another year to learn what happens next! I'm definitely starting the countdown for THE HOUSE OF HADES. How about you?
on May 4, 2012
Um. No. No way. Mr. Riordan has left us with yet another one of his 'Rickhangers', and all of us are stuck waiting until next fall to find out what happens.

Okay. Just to make this clear. Annabeth didn't die in the end! That's just bogus. It could never happen, and if it ever did, the author is aware of the consequences, like maybe the fact that most fans will want to tear off his head.

Oh, and the Annabeth-Percy reunion... Ooh. Percy is so sweet! They totally belong with each other. And then the thing that happens in the end- the horrible thing- what Percy did made me cry. Seriously. It was like the most noble thing ever. I don't think Harry Potter can compare. This is tooo much. But I'm not spoiling it.

Personally, I think that in this book, Frank and Hazel didn't do much. Hazel was too busy trying to figure out why Leo looked so much like Sammy, and Frank was too busy glaring at Leo. Piper demonstrated her improved charmspeak, but other than that she spent most of the book worrying about Jason and his 'relationship' with Reyna.

Other than that, this book was just awesome. The plot and the mythology was all interesting and riveting. I probably won't relax until fall next year. I'm so worried about Annabeth and Percy, and whether or not they'll survive. But they will. Obviously.

By the way, Amazon's pre-ordering is way off. I received this book at 10pm October 1st, which I suppose is a good thing but then it's kinda off.

So anyways, that's my tiny take on this wonderful book. It'd be longer, but spoilers just aren't nice in this case, right?

-to be edited-

danielle
on January 28, 2016
My son absolutely loves this series. Keep writing and he will keep reading!

Annabeth is terrified. Just when she's about to be reunited with Percy—after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera—it looks like Camp Jupiter is preparing for war. As Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper, and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can't blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. With its steaming bronze dragon masthead, Leo's fantastical creation doesn't appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors from Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.

And that's only one of her worries. In her pocket Annabeth carries a gift from her mother that came with an unnerving demand: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. Annabeth already feels weighed down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find—and close— the Doors of Death. What more does Athena want from her?

Annabeth's biggest fear, though, is that Percy might have changed. What if he's now attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends? As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader, but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.

Narrated by four different demigods, The Mark of Athena is an unforgettable journey across land and sea to Rome, where important discoveries, surprising sacrifices, and unspeakable horrors await. Climb aboard the Argo II, if you dare…
on November 19, 2012
What did I do when I got this book? Spazz Out. What did I do when I finished this book? SPAZZ. OUT. The following is a very hyper review. (minus the GIF's from my original blog post.)

When I saw the beautiful thick book on the shelf I was all like.... WAAAAAAAAH! IT'S REAL! IT WASN'T JUST A DREAM DESIGNED TO TORTURE ME! I ACTUALLY GET TO READ THIS BOOK!

When I took it home I was all like....I AM NEVER EVER EVER LETTING YOU OUT OF MY SIGHT! *bounces up and down*

GUYS, I was HOLDING a 600+ page book with the title reading: "Mark of Athena". Hello Heaven. I'd waited for this book for a year. I was home. *sniff* So I read. And read. And fell in love with Percy all over again. He is PERFECTION. Percy. Can. Do. No. Wrong. He's gone through so much character development that it's just incredible to see how he's come through. AND THEN Rick throws out some more character development in there and just when you think Percy can't get any better...He DOES!! He's amazing and with Annabeth they are LEGIT EPIC. Honestly. I was like this during ever Percabeth moment.....*Drool*Drool*Drool*Drool*Drool*FANGIRL!!!!!!!!!!*

Pretend I'm Annabeth................I.LOVE.YOU.PERCY.JACKSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Percy was genius. Making Rick Riordain a genius for inventing him. It's a fact of life. A universal truth. Get it? Got it? Good. I love him to death. But then we get a new perspective in this book that we have been waiting for for about 7 WHOLE BOOKS, named.....ANNABETH!!

Annabeth's has like this totally legit DNA code that is named: "Awesome-Sauce". Seriously. After waiting and waiting and sensing the awesome vibes coming from the girl we finally get it. And she is better than you think. I can't even think of descriptive words past EPIC. She is so strong in character, her thought process just bowls you over -sheesh girl you can THINK! -she's smart clever, funny and just so amazing. The character development that she goes through is incredible, and her quest is just made of EEEEEP! (Confession: It felt really short and almost too easy for Annabeth up till the end.) Seriously guys. Need i say more? I read so fast if only to get back to her chapters. I mean each chapter that had Annabeth's signo on it was like........*fangirl-hands-at-the-supreme-awesomeness-of-her-brain* ANNABETH HAS OFFICIALLY ROCKED MY SOCKS OFF. But moving onto Leo........

Guys, Leo is my 3rd favorite. He's got this extremely funny narrative voice that you can't help but love. He's on his own and going through his own struggles, but he comes through them with incredibleness that shines through his personality and humor. It's so hard NOT to love him. You just can't! He's a mechanical genius, with self-confidence and a witty response to pretty much anything. TEAM LEO! That leaves me with one more narrative voice to address....PIPER.

Piper doesn't deserve any fangirl actions. I'm sorry to all you PIPER likers, but I'm about to confess that I don't care for Piper......or Jason. Jason feels like a robot copy of the Percy Jackson from the earlier books but with different powers. Piper, has no depth. Sure she can "charm-speak". (PUH-LEEZ.) But how is that gonna save them from schizophrenic gods and Mother Earth? It barely worked in this book! That's all I will say. It was a chore to read her chapters, she can have Jason and elope into a cloud kingdom for all I care. The. End.

But there were some other notable awesome characters that I feel deserve a completely random fangirl session for their awesome-tasticalness. Namely: Reyna, Hazel, Ella, Frank -YO MAN!- Coach Hedge, and ARGO. I hereby dedicate this fangirl session to your memory: *LIFE'S WHAT YOU MAKE IT AND YOU MAKE IT ROCK. THERE WOULD BE NO POINT IN LIVING IF YOU WEREN'T THERE TO TURN INTO A GIANT KOI FISH FRANK. I WOULD NOT FREAKING CARE ONE THING ABOUT THE ROMANS IF YOU WEREN'T THE MOST INTERESTING PRAETOR EVER, REYNA. DEAD GIRLS ROCK!!!!! HARPIES THAT READ? WHERE CAN I GET ONE? WANT TO GO OUT FOR ALUMINUM CANS SOME TIME COACH HEDGE?*

Get the gist?The action in this book was full of fun, great moves, smart strategies, and just epic demigods. I don't really think I have to say that it was another AWESOME plot full of reveleations, secrets, and Monsters. Not to mentions schizophrenic Olympians. Yikes! Other than the fact that the style seemed to start following that traditional pattern, I have to rock on to this FANTASTICAL story. If you haven't been picking up the awesome vibes I've been sending your way, now's a good time to do that. I only have one topic left and it's the ending. Once again Riordan has -cursed- given us another HORRIBLE shocking ending. Allow me to demonstrate.......

*MY-LIFE-IS-OVER-I-AM-NEVER-EVER-EVER-COMING-OUT-OF-THIS-ROOM-AGAIN-UNTIL-HOUSE-OF-HADES-IS-OUT. IN-THE-NAME-OF-GHANDI-I-WILL-NOT-BE-MOVED-FROM-THIS-SPOT.*

My first reaction to the ending: AACK! What did I just Read?

When the reality of the situation sunk in: The floor looks like a nice place to lay down and die. I'M IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION. I need a tissue, NOW! Uuuuhhh, right in the feels. WE SURVIVED, BUT WE'RE DEAD! *headslap* IT'S NOT FAIR.

Trying to convince myself it didn't really happen: NOPE. I'm not crying, it's just raining on my face. NOPE.

The very logical conclusion I finally ended on: Everything hurts and I'm DYING.

I'm not going into detail because I try to keep my reviews Spoiler Free. Hence the GIFS, only way to share that. Just ****SOBBBBBBB*** My system has been thoroughly cleansed. I think. All I can do now is try and keep calm while I wait for HOUSE OF HADES next ---FREAKING--- October. GAH.

That really does put a damper on our relationship.

Content: Clean-Mild
(I consider it clean but there is some swearing on Olympian gods, and PERCABETH kisses! Maybe a light innuendo once or twice)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 3, 2016
If you have a reluctant reader, maybe you just need the right material! My 10 year old son is now at an 8th grade reading level (from 4th grade level at the beginning of this school year) thanks to Rick Riordan books!)

Riordan has created another great book series that has sparked the LOVE of reading in my child and it's priceless to me! I will buy anything he writes to keep my 10 year old son engaged in reading for the love of it. I love this author's work with all of my heart. If I ever meet Rick Riordan in person, I'm going to shake his hand and thank him for writing outstanding books LOVED by my son. I'll of course ask for an autograph in one of books too! (OR "Please take a sharpie to this Kindle cover! You're THE MAN!")

This school year, my son has become highly competitive by earning AR points in school (Accelerated Reader points). There's a donut party kids may attend if they achieve 100 AR Points in a semester. He's going to easily reach this goal since he's tearing through these books!!! Do I love that my boy WANTS to be a super reader?!! Yes, of course!!! I am in two book clubs, and I was bitten by the book bug at that age, and I could not be happier!

This momma is really, really happy! I may even have to start reading these to see what all the fuss is about. I enjoy reading young adult books sometimes. I'll just borrow my sons books when he's done.
on August 28, 2013
I was hooked on this series when I got this book. However for whatever reason, I stopped reading it half way through and have read several other books in the 6 or so months since I put this one down. For some reason I just got bored, it didn't hold my attention like the earlier books in this series and the Lightening Thief Series alike.
on October 2, 2012
Like The Lost Hero and Son of Neptune, Mark of Athena uses a 3rd person limited point of view switching between the perspectives of Percy, Annabeth, Piper and Leo. Rick Riordan wisely chose the characters with the most personality. I was really impressed with Annabeth's chapters. It really improved her character and I felt we learned more about her in this book than we did in all the other books combined. I loved seeing the Percy and Annabeth relashionship through her point of view, and it not only help develop Annabeth's character but it even improved upon Percy's as well. The Leo chapters were as strong if not stronger than they were in The Lost Hero and they made me laugh out loud numerous times. We also find out the answer to the whole Leo/Sammy conundrum through his point of view which makes the situation all the more interesting. The Percy chapters are fantastic as always. We still have the brave, goofy and lovable Percy as before. Finally their's Pipers, Piper's chapters aren't bad, they're just not as good as the others. It's mostly just about her love of Jason (who I feel is the weakest character of the 7).
The writing of this book is just fantastic. The characters are still amazing. Overall I would recommend this book to anyone (Just be sure to read Lost Hero and Neptune first!)