4.0 out of 5 stars Very Fun and Simple Dungeon Crawler...
Heroes of Ruin is a new dungeon crawling game for the 3DS. It doesn't really differentiate itself from other dungeon crawlers and can get repetitive, but it is simple and very fun in short bursts.

Published on July 18, 2012 by Jonathan

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but incredibly broken
This game started off pretty well, and for the first five or six hours I couldn't understand why so many reviews painted the game in such a poor light...

Published on July 21, 2012 by M. Holger

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but incredibly broken, July 21, 2012
This review is from: Heroes of Ruin - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)

...then I maxed out my inventory. You can only really carry 34 pieces of loot, which becomes incredibly problematic when you consider the extraordinary amount of loot to be had. Not too big of a deal - you can easily identify better pieces of loot in your inventory and sell the rest. This quickly leads to the second problem, though - since so much loot is dropped "in the wild," buying equipment from the vendors is rarely, if ever, necessary, and you quickly hit the 99,999 gold limit, at which point you can no longer sell loot or pick up gold dropped by monsters. To further compound the issue, the game allows you to have four characters saved - but you can't share loot between them, so all of the unique Gunslinger items you find while playing your Vindicator just get left right there in the dungeon to despawn, because you don't have enough room to carry them, have too much gold to sell them, and can't move them to your Gunslinger character where you could use them.

I'm not even half way through the game yet, and I've gone from thoroughly enjoying every minute of dungeon exploration to simply rushing to complete quest goals and wondering when I'll hit the level cap.

While the game-play is good fun, the game makes it extremely clear that you're there to gather loot, so the brokenness of the loot mechanic strips the game of its very core. The multiplayer component is good enough to imbue the game with some staying power, but unless n-Space and company can come up with a patch to provide for some on-going loot storage, and inter-character loot sharing, this cart will quickly become relegated to the shelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Fun and Simple Dungeon Crawler..., July 18, 2012
This review is from: Heroes of Ruin - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)

What did I like? I personally found it easy to pick-up-and-play; the controls are actually very basic and not hard to master at all. At the beginning of the game you get to chose a class (out of 4), and although there isn't much customization, I think it's enough. I chose the Savage which is a big beast that is heavy on melee attacks. Your normal attack is performed with the B-button, and you can dodge and block with the R-button. The rest of the buttons are used for your special attacks, like a chain attack that drags an enemy towards you (like Scorpion in Mortal Kombat). I genuinely appreciate a simple-to-pick-up game, especially for a handheld. I also like the fact that the dungeons are generated randomly. If I decide to play through it again, at least it will feel a little different. It also has a decent amount of quest-per-dungeon (one complaint for this below, though). There is a cool feature that (I think) most dungeon crawler fans will enjoy, and that's the ability to sell loot immediately from the dungeon, with no need to travel back to the hub world. I also enjoy the graphics, specifically the environments (another complaint below.) Nexus, the hub world, was easy to navigate. The 3D was actually decent, but I don't see myself using it often. I am a fan of exploring in games and this has plenty of it. Also, the RPG elements like leveling up are easy to understand, another big plus.

What did I dislike? It doesn't really differentiate itself from other dungeon crawlers and can get repetitive, which is the biggest issue for me; most of the time will be spent looting and button-smashing. The side-quest aren't really deep and are repetitive. So far, most of the side quest are fetch-quest, like go get some wood then bring it back. Also, although the environments are great, the character models were often bland and blocky. The gameplay can get a bit sluggish as well. Maybe it was because I was playing as a Savage, but the character runs slow.

Overall, if you're looking for a dungeon crawler or a simple-to-play game, I highly recommend Heroes of Ruin. It's probably best to play this in short burst so it doesn't get too repetitive. Also, you can receive daily challenges for this game which should add more game time. I purchased it from Amazon when it was $30 and I have enjoyed most of it so far. I will update this review when I finish the whole game, and let you know how long the game is.

*I cannot comment on the online play since I haven't played it online.

4.0 out of 5 stars Here's a good one for the 3ds, December 15, 2012
me! (Home of the Rockies, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heroes of Ruin - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
I just got this game and can tell you that I like it so far. I first tried the online game which is a co-op, but found the other players to be treasure hogs and not looking out for you. That's not a co-op, that's just the game with other players getting in the way of your achivement. So then I tred the solo game and found it to be fun and adventurous. Every break that I get, I'm spending playing this game. It plays like any dungeon crawler, but you can choose take on other tasks while you go along or ignore them and go straight for the goal. The game also has many puzzles in each level you have to solve before you can move on to the next part of the level. My only complaint about the solo missions so far is that there isn't an auto-pause feature. If you are playing at school/work on your free time and simply close the 3ds, it goes into sleep mode, but when you open it back up it isn't on pause. So if you forget that you were in the middle of a battle, you could die before you get your bearings.

I noticed that many of the bad complaints for this game has to do with the money and equipment caps. I don't care much for this, to me it doesn't take away from game play. I just collect the items that make my character stronger and ignore the rest, then I look at the stats of each piece of equipment, pick what makes my character stronger, and sell or dump the rest. But if you are looking at money and equipment as a status quo or a way to keep score, then I could see this being a problem. But to me, money only needed in emergencies when you are running out of potions, and equipment can be easily made obselete by better equipment.

Other then that, I find this game to be the 2nd best 3ds game in my collection (Zelda OoT being the first) and am looking forward to playing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as both action-RPG and Gauntlet-style crawler, February 11, 2013
This review is from: Heroes of Ruin - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
Heroes of Ruin is really two very different kinds of game at the same time, and surprisingly, it's very good at being both.

On the one hand, the game is great as an action-RPG. Defeat monsters, collect loot, buy new equipment, plan your character upgrades... There are tons of fine details to be managed and plenty of interesting balancing to do, to really customize your hero and adapt his/her strengths to your play style. This is how I spent most of my time in the game's single-player mode.

On the other hand, you can also treat Heroes of Ruin like an old Gauntlet arcade game where you just want to stay alive, lay waste to all the monsters that come your way, and adventure on to the next level. It's great fun to play online with this mentality.

Best of all, you can flit back and forth between play styles at any time, whether you're online or playing alone. Sometimes you'll join a game where everybody's trading equipment and managing their characters besides just fighting and looting, and sometimes when playing alone you'll just feel like slashing through a particularly cool level again. From the second you select which character class to start with right through to the final boss, everything about how you play is up to you, and you're going to have a good time any which way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harshin' on the Heros!, November 13, 2012
This review is from: Heroes of Ruin - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
I am really surprised at the harsh reviews for this game. It is a great 3D dungeon crawler, especially for a newer handheld system. I played the demo and bought it right away. I was really surprised how many more features there were. The daily challenges and online play & chat are great additions to an already fun game. Its in my top five favorite handheld games right now. Don't let the negative reviews stray you. They all complain about the same things which are nit picking little things.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another good handheld RPG., August 4, 2013
Karen (Niceville, FL, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heroes of Ruin - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
Not the best RPG. Especially for the 3DS. However, it is not totally bad. I love Nintendo for the Pokémon series and this was a filler in between Pokémon releases.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not enough room!, June 4, 2013
This review is from: Heroes of Ruin - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
Loot drops like candy in this game and my only complaint is that you canNOT carry it all!
I love D2 style loot fests where you are chasing that next drop and that rush when it finally does drop.

I've read alot of bad reviews on this game, but honestly, I don't see what the fuss is about.
Graphics are NOT the greatest, but if I want outstanding graphics, I'll fire up my desktop PC.

Story - can't say I really know what the story is since I skip it to jump in to slaughter mobs to get loot.
Gameplay is smooth and seemless in my opinion and action is fast paced.
Enough variety to keep it fresh early on, but it does get old later on.
This can be expected though.

The nice thing is that you CAN play online or local and there are challenges that get released from SquareEnix to complete and you can link your system to their site to track stats of your characters - kinda like a mobile WOW Armory.

I'd definitely recommend for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but needs polishing, September 13, 2012
This review is from: Heroes of Ruin - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
The overall experience of the game is great, the controls are easy and intuitive, but still lacking on some aspects, it's really hard to block and some enemies abuse from the block mechanic making the fight annoying rather than challenging. This game shines however on its online capabilities, voice communication and a virtually lag free environment will make the online experience memorable. All in all this is an excellent game, but don't expect hard core difficulty, this is the first attemp after all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent unfinished game, August 28, 2012
This review is from: Heroes of Ruin - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
I enjoyed leveling my Gunslinger to 26 while completing the game in solo mode. my slinger has a total of 9 hours 47 minutes gameplay. I enjoyed playing through the entire story line solo. I will be trying some online play this evening.(Only reason I am writing the review before trying online play is that I have from a good source that the online is great.) However there are some major flaws that annoyed me quite a bit...

too much money dropped/gained from sales

Do not have a shared storage between characters

There is no place to store items(bank/stash) while limited to 32 items in your inventory.

Way to easy in most aspects of gameplay and boss fights

I will continue to play but very disappointed with the inventory system on a item drop based game. I really hope they make another with these fixes, I would buy it in a second.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was just ok, July 23, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Heroes of Ruin - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
Pros:

-Lots of fun playing in online multiplayer mode with up to 4 players (you and 3 more players. Either friends or players from al over the globe.
-Voice-chat.
-Item trading.
-Adventure style gameplay.

Cons:

-Game crashes, bugs that need to be fixed.
-It gets annoying when game crashes in a boss battle and you have to restart battle or game.
-Not enough challenge if you're looking for a long time of game play.

In conclusion:

I would have loved if the game offered DLC or harder mode but it was a quick fun experience and hopefully if they make a sequel they'll fix the issues this one has.

I would recommend this game if you love adventure games like Zelda, Diablo, Secret of Mana and so on.

Heroes of Ruin - Nintendo 3DS
Heroes of Ruin - Nintendo 3DS by Square Enix (Nintendo 3DS)
$19.99 $17.99