More About the Author
Dr. Tej Kumar Shrestha
Ph.D., D.Sc., CBiol., FIBiol., F.L.S. (London)
Tej Kumar Shrestha was born in Baglung, Dhaulagiri Zone, Nepal. He initially learned his ecology at Tribhuvan University, Nepal, Bhopal University, India and at University of Arkansas, USA. He made field ornithology and ecology as a part of his investigation leading to D.Sc. degree of Bhopal University, India, which was awarded in 1994. This growing interest led him to study wildlife spanning over thirty years. He has held many distinguished positions. He is now Professor of Central Department of Zoology, Tribhuvan University and Visiting Professor of Ecology, Bhopal University, India. He was Head of Central Department of Zoology, Tribhuvan University.
He was Coordinator Wetland and Heritage Program of IUCN, Nepal. He was also Associate Member of Royal Nepal Academy of Science and Technology (RONAST). He is member of British Ornithologists' Union (BOU), World Pheasant Association (WPA), International Association for Ecology (INTECOL), and Society for Ecological Restoration (SER). He was elected as Chartered Biologist and Fellow of Institute of Biology, UK, Fellow of Linnean Society of London, Fellow of Zoological Society of London, Foreign Secretary of Zoological Society of India and Life Member of Bombay Natural History Society of India.
Dr. Shrestha was founder member of Bird Watching Club of Nepal and has been closely associated with wildlife conservation movement of the country for over last two decades. Dr. Shrestha has extensively travelled around Himalayan passes, mountains, rivers and forests of Nepal. He visited USA, Canada, Britain, Germany, Italy, France, Portugal, Finland and New Zealand participating in study tours, expeditions, conferences and lecture tours.
He has contributed scientific papers and articles on wildlife ecology and behaviour in national and international journals. His popular articles have appeared on radio and TV in Nepal and abroad. He is author of fourteen outstanding books on wildlife and natural resources. He serves IUCN Species Survival Commission (SSC) as a member in different specialist groups.
* Ichthyology of Nepal, 2008
* Wildlife of Nepal, 1981 (First Edition), 2003 (Second Edition)
* Herpetology of Nepal, 2001
* Birds of Nepal. Volume 2, 2001
* Birds of Nepal. Volume 1, 2000
* Spiny Babbler: An Endemic Bird of Nepal, 1998
* Mammals of Nepal, 1997
* The Mahseer in the Rivers of Nepal, 1997
* The Ganges River Dolphin, 1995
* Fish Catching in the Himalayan Waters of Nepal, 1995.
* Encounter with the Himalayan Wildlife, 1994.
* Ecology of the Mahseer in the Himalayan Waters of Nepal, 1994.
* Introduction to Fish Culture English 1993,(in Nepali Language, 1990)
* Dolphins and Whales (Nepali Language), 1990.
* Resource Ecology of Himalayan Waters, 1990.
* The Environment of Suklaphanta, 1977.