Customer Discussions > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim forum

Hesitant to get it, looking for feedback.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 26, 2012 8:43:11 AM PST
DocSportello says:
Everything I've seen about this game looks incredible, the graphics and open world seem like they'd be a hell of a lot of fun. I'm hesitant to get it though, as I've played a few other Bethesda games (mainly Fallout 3 and New Vegas) and while the game itself was well made, I couldn't get into it because the combat was so one-note and repetitive. Also, the enivronment in Fallout didn't do anything for me, bombed out landscapes are all similar and drab.
I've seen a few videos online, and the combat looks really repetitive in this game, the character just slashes his sword, axe, left to right then back again, and that's the only animation. Though this seems like a minor gripe in contrast to all the other things you can do in this game, it would be something of a dealbreaker for me, pressing x or a over and over again with the same animation gets old.
Am I wrong? Do the videos not do the game justice? Or will this personal problem make the game not work for me?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 1:59:06 PM PST
Joseph says:
If you got bored with the combat in Fallout 3/NV, you'll probably inevitably get bored with the combat in Skyrim. It is repetitive, but there are other things about the game that bring it to life and combat is only a fraction of it. As far as the landscape, I got bored with the landscape of the two Fallouts rather quickly as well (even though I logged about 180 hours in Fallout 3 and a measly 20 in NV). But Skyrim has some really fantastic landscapes and cities... some of them reminiscent of art based on Tolkien's Middle Earth.

If you're worried, you should rent it from Red Box for a couple of days. After about 4 hours you'll be able to decide whether you'll like it or not.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 7:03:03 PM PST
Grant says:
Go ahead and buy it. As Joseph said above the landscape is very Lord of the Rings. In fact the whole game takes place in a world similar.
Fallout felt like a cash in on everything popular. Dark, gritty, post-apocalyptic world. All it was missing was Zombies, vampires, and a stealth sniper level. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 12:02:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2012 12:08:23 PM PST
There were vampires in Fallout 3 and zombie-esque enemies in both lol. I still loved Fallout 3, though, and it was a sequel to games made in the late 90's, so it wasn't exactly a cash-in on present trends as much as long-standing ones.

Skyrim is definitely the sword-and-shield analogue to the Fallout games, so if you're not a fan of that gameplay (and now there's no VATS system, even), then you probably won't like Skyrim. There are more varied attacks, though, because there are something like 100 spells in the game, but you have to find them in-world; you don't gain them from leveling. Still, you'd have to be a pretty big fan of fantasy RPGs to overcome your reservations about Bethesda's Fallout games.

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 12:56:41 PM PST
C. Stokely says:
Well the combat is somewhat better than FO3's, since there's Enchanting and Smithing so you can better customize your weapons than in FO3.There's also a third combat style, magic, so it is definitely less repetitive than Fo3's combat.The environments are much more diverse than Fo3's.You've got forests, mountains, marshlands, open plains, volcanic tundras, and glacial coasts.Skyrim is also much larger than FO3 and NV, it's about twice as large as FO3 with more terrain to explore, more quests, more content, and more locations.

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 4:58:16 PM PST
Grant says:
Yeah I was just makeing a joke on how these games can incorporate classic themes and still elude being seen as unorigonal or trying to appeal to current fads like Vampires, Zombies, and Call of Duty.

Posted on May 15, 2012 8:53:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012 8:54:10 PM PDT
Fallout is much more fun than Skyrim. If you got bored with Fallout, you'll be 20 times more bored with Skyrim. Skyrim looks good only in a superficial sense. After you've played Skyrim a while, you find out how bland it is and how much it lacks depth, fun, and variety. Skyrim is only a half-developed game. I'm sick of it and I've quit playing it. I shouldn't have bought it. Read my review of Skyrim. I just wrote one.

Posted on May 16, 2012 10:53:03 AM PDT
Fluke says:
Skyrim is a fantastic game. If you like deep RPG's you'll love it, if you don't then it may not be your cup of tea.

Pros:
Great story
Interesting NPC's
Tons of quests
Tons of ways to play the game

Cons
Graphics are good but not great. I'd say better then Fallout 3/NV but not as good as most current gen games.
Load times are a little slow, but not awful
Combat / enemies/ dialog does repeat often.
Diff curve is a bit odd. It starts out fine but but as you become higher level and have good weapons/ armor it becomes semi easy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jan 26, 2012
Latest post:  May 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim by Bethesda (Xbox 360)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (1,952)