5.0 out of 5 stars Listen Closer
Trent Reznor should just release an album with a new title, new artwork, and new song titles. But instead of actual new material, it should all just be the songs from The Downward Spiral.

It can be called There You Go, ****heads.

After all, it's what everyone wants.

I remember the day I bought The Downward Spiral. My first thought after...
Published 15 months ago by Philip Atherton

2.0 out of 5 stars Stuck on Auto Pilot
Maybe it's just me...but all the songs on this collection sound similar. Little variation in tempo. Same electronica feel over and over again.

Published 14 months ago by G Jo

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen Closer, September 3, 2013
This review is from: Hesitation Marks [Explicit] (MP3 Music)

It can be called There You Go, ****heads.

After all, it's what everyone wants.

I remember the day I bought The Downward Spiral. My first thought after hearing it was, 'This sounds nothing like Broken'. And I returned it the next day when you could do those kinds of things.

But eventually this is what I came to love about Trent 'Expect the Unexpected' Reznor. I picked up The Downward Spiral six months later after the singles grew on me, and now it's one of my favorite albums. And now I know that when I pick up a new Nine Inch Nails album, it's not going to sound like anything he did before.

There are several things Trent Reznor does better than most musicians. He doesn't replicate himself. He always tries something new. He is neither ahead of his time, dated, or keeping up with trends: he has his own sound that is always evolving and difficult for copycats to keep up with. And has anyone seen the instruments he uses to make his music? I never knew what the hell a swarmatron was until Trent Reznor started using one.

Hesitation Marks does not disappoint. Somehow he managed to throw his listeners off his scent once more. You're probably already familiar with the singles from the album, and I believe the reception that 'Everything' has received has been undeservingly negative. It's not what it appears to be on the surface. And many of the songs on Hesitation Marks are similar in that way.

I think we live in a time where a track by track breakdown is unnecessary. You can listen to the samples. You can hear everything on YouTube. In fact, this review is probably not even being read. But if you are reading this, then that means you're like me in the sense that maybe you needed a different perspective and something to think about. So let me just tell you this if you're on the fence about buying this album: This isn't The Downward Spiral. If you want The Downward Spiral, then just buy yourself another copy. But if you listen to Nine Inch Nails because you want something different and creative, this is a well written album in that respect. Some musicians, especially mainstream acts, keep shoveling the same **** into our ears album after album. Their hearts aren't even in it anymore. It's a business. The art is gone. Any musician can call up a hit-creating producer to write their album. But Trent Reznor always manages to give us something pure. Hesitation Marks is the kind of record most people are afraid to make because it's risky. But it's got integrity. That's what makes it so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Upward Spiral, September 3, 2013
This review is from: Hesitation Marks (Audio CD)
Nine Inch Nails are one of the few more hardcore bands that manage to stay relevant and greatly artistic at the same time. I admit after the release of "The Slip" and the Ghosts, I thought NIN were done with making full albums. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross started doing musical scores for movies which were amazing, earning them an Oscar win that was well deserved. But in their absense from NIN music I started listening to all kinds of other types of music. I even started listening to more calm bands and even some poppy indie bands. I also ventured into some Hip Hop since then and I don't regret that. This album can be seen as a comeback because "The Slip", though a full length album, was released for free as a gift to fans. But Trent did release the album physically for those who wanted to actually own the album. That album was great, but still didn't feel like a REAL NIN album just because of its release method. Also around that time the "Ghosts" were gradually released the same way and though they were haunting and beautiful instrumentals, I wanted something more. So there was an absence for 5 years before I finally heard that NIN were releasing a new album in the traditional manner and on a major label again. Not that the label matters, but it just felt more official to me! The release of the lead single "Came Back Haunted" was a welcoming sound to my ears. I haven't heard hard rock/industrial sounds this good in years. Then the albums title was released. It had the same edgy dark theme as "The Downward Spiral" and I couldn't wait. Now it's finally here! It was well worth the wait and money. Here is a track by track review.

1. The Eater of Dreams: Short but haunting instrumental intro. Its okay for me, but I've had enough instrumentals after the Ghosts. It does lead into the next track well though. 6.5/10
2. Copy of A: At first when this was released as a second single I thought it was just okay. This song features more of the electronic sounds from "Year Zero" and Trents excellent movie scores. The chorus gets better with each listen. The second verse has some industrial background sounds similar to the "Downward Spiral" and its just great. 9.5/10
3. Came Back Haunted: The comeback single. This is definitely one of the best NIN songs hands down. Its a shame it wasn't as commercially successful as some of NINs previous singles, but oh well. Still great. Pumping beats, addictive chorus and perfect industrial sounds! One of NINs best dance rocker songs. I have to say this. After all those Ghosts, its no surprise Trent came back haunted. (haha). 10/10
4. Find My Way: The album slows down with this hauntingly beautiful industrial ballad. The song, like a lot of NINs best, builds upon itself to the somewhat climatic end. The piano featured in the song is simple yet addictive! 9/10
5. All Time Low: This has got to be one of my new favorite NIN tracks. It has this groovy feel to it. If it were up to me, this would be the next single. There is even a soulful influence in Trents voice. He delivers a perfect falsetto before the chorus that would even impress the likes of Robin Thicke. The second verse really makes you wanna yell along to the lyrics as if you're marching with Trent and Atticus! A little after 4 minutes into the song it starts to break down a bit and Trent muses his falsetto in the background of the 80s sounding keyboards a bit before fading out I can really see this song featured in dance clubs today. Well I would love to hear it there at least. 10/10
6. Disappointed: The beat really starts out pumping right away in this song. Trent sings some cryptic vocals to the beat before the chorus angrily kicks in with great industrial fashion. Really reminds me again of the "Downward Spiral" a bit. The setup of the song is similar in structure to "Copy of A" with a nice background sound in the second verse before exploding to an even more pumping second chorus. There is a nice breakdown bridge in the song too with some nice groovy instrumentals to end the song. There is kind of an Egyptian feel to these instrumental parts for me and I love it! Like Trent was venturing into the Pyramids during this song. 9/10
7. Everything: I don't understand what all the hate was for when this song first came out. People called it too poppy or whatever. I will admit at first I didn't really like it at first listen, but not because it sounded poppy, because it didn't live up to previous singles. But regarding the poppy sound, I seriously don't even think this song sounds poppy. Just more happy compared to other songs by NIN. In fact, the chorus is the opposite of poppy. The song really has grown on me though, but still isn't one of my all time favorites. I do see this as a good song to work out to though. 8/10
8. Satellite: Another good industrial song to dance to! Again there is more of the falsetto in the background vocals that goes so well with the feel of the song. The chorus is sexy in a NIN way and it gets better with repetition. The song also contains some of the best guitars I've heard from NIN and from rock music in a long time! Great great great song. 10/10
9. Various Methods of Escape: Song starts out a bit quiet before exploding into an amazing rocking chorus. The guitar in the chorus is excellent! There is a perfectly beautiful breakdown that is pretty emotional in its sound before exploding back into the rocking guitars. This would make a great single as well in my opinion! I would recommend this songs motivational sound to your work out routine soundtrack also! 10/10
10. Running: Ironically this song is perfect to listen to while running. The beat reminds me of an industrial African sound. The sounds in this song are wild and crazy but the song never turns into noise. Its all handled with such craft like always by NIN. 8.7/10
11. I Would For You: The song sounds angry in nature, but it really isn't. The verses are great. The chorus is a grower but still awesome. There is a nice guitar solo before a "Closer" sounding piano comes in to end the song with! This song might get better for me with time though! 8.5/10
12. In Two: The beginning of the song will remind many of the great NIN song "We're In This Together". Trents verses venture back into the Hiphop sounding style he would use sometimes in "Downward Spiral" and "Prety Hate Machine". The chorus is very electronic before he brings in his falsetto again with some nice industrial guitar to compliment each other. The song manages to be angry and melodic at once. There is a breakdown that really sounds just like the breakdown in the song "Mr. Self Destruct". Seriously it sounds like a more melodic brother to that song! The breakdown bridge builds back up with some infectious guitar that sounds like Black Sabbaths "War Pigs" just a bit! One of the best songs from NIN hands down. 11/10
13. While I'm Still Here: This song will surprise you in your first few listens after the intensity of "In Two". This is another build up song. The difference here is the song just constantly builds up more and more but never really explodes. That isn't bad though, it's actually really nice. There is a nice horn section at the end and it really leads into the next track so swiftly. 9/10
14. Black Noise: The better of the two instrumentals. I do however think this wouldve been better if they just combined it with the previous track. They really do sound like one big nice ending to the album. Still a nice industrial end to a great comeback album that leaves you haunted, but not sad! 9/10

Deluxe Edition has some good bonus tracks too.

So this album was consistently great. There was no track I felt like skipping. It is an epic collection of great NIN comeback songs. The album is also slightly more uplifting in tone compared to earlier NIN work, but that doesn't mean it is a happy album. The album is just not depressing despite the suicidal title. Many have said this album sounds like a return to the "Fragile" and "Downward Spiral" era. I sort of agree. I mostly think this is like more of a continuation of "Downward Spiral" in style than "The Fragile" was. I wouldn't have questioned it if this was given the title "The Downward Spiral 2" or "The Upward Spiral" honestly. Though this does sound a lot like the older NIN, it sounds fresh and new at the same time. This is definitely better than the previous 3 releases in my opinion. Best NIN album since "With Teeth". This album even has the potential to gain many new NIN fans. If you're new to the band then I suggest you give this album at least 3 listens before you form a full opinion. My method when listening to a new album is for me to listen to it 3 times in order. Then I start to put the album on shuffle and I begin to discover new things in each song! All in all, I think this is one of the best releases in the rock genre in a long time. Rock music has been dominated by more of the poppy and indie bands(nothing against them, I like some good indie bands) lately but I think this album would help bring back more of the edgier rock thats been missing in recent years. Really worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reznor doesn't have to be miserable to make a great NIN album, September 3, 2013
This review is from: Hesitation Marks [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
When Trent Reznor embarked on his "Wave Goodbye" tour four years ago, many fans wondered if the mastermind behind such landmark albums as "Pretty Hate Machine," (1989) "The Downward Spiral"(1994) "The Fragile," (1999) and "Year Zero" (2007) was retiring the name Nine Inch Nails for good. While NIN was inactive at the dawn of the second decade of the twenty-first century, the same could not be said for Reznor. 2010 saw Reznor form How to Destroy Angels with longtime collaborator Atticus Ross and wife Mariqueen Maandig who thus far have released two EPs and an excellent debut album this year with "Welcome Oblivion" (2013). Reznor and Ross also received accolades, awards and award nomination for their film scores "The Social Network" (2010) and "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (2011).

While NIN fans have no doubt enjoyed these projects, Trent Reznor's best work has always been with his flagship project Nine Inch Nails and fans no doubt longed for a new NIN album. Reznor's fans rejoiced and it came as a bit of a shock when Reznor announced earlier this year that he had been recording a new Nine Inch Nails album in secret. With the aid of such gifted musicians as Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham and King Crinson's Adrian Belew, Nine Inch Nails are back with the triumphant "Hesitation Marks" (2013) the first NIN album since "The Slip" (2008).

"Wave goodbye," "I am free" Reznor sings joyfully on the album's seventh track "Everything," which tells us that Trent is definitely not the same man that he was in 1994 or even 2005, and has indeed become "something else." A married father, clean and sober, productive and positive, the Trent Reznor of 2013 is not the frustrated, tortured artist that he's always been known as. Still, Trent is still Trent, just an older, wiser, more mature Trent. Reznor has stated that he had "The Downward Spiral" in mind when he was working on "Hesitation Marks," as he stated in a New York Times interview:

"I felt very aware that it's 20 years later, and I'm still that guy. I know that guy, and I feel for him. I don't resent him, I don't miss him. But how would things feel on the other side of that now, in a much more stable life place, mentally and physically, and with a new family?"

While I don't see the new album sounding a lot like the 1994 masterpiece, it is a sort of sequel. The theme of the album is about how Reznor came out "on the other side." As Reznor has stated to SPIN, the album addresses who Trent "was then" and who Trent is now and "how things have turned out, for better or worse" for the tortured protagonist of "The Downward Spiral." Stylistically the album sounds like a cross between the spawning, epic "The Fragile" and the more electronic-leaning "Year Zero," and "Welcome Oblivion," and sounds, as Reznor has stated "sparse" and "minimal."

The album opens with the tense, unnerving and disjointed instrumental "The Eater of Dreams" which leads perfectly into "Copy of A" which was released a few weeks prior the album. "Copy of A" is reminiscent of "Survivalism" from "Year Zero" but is a little more subdued, but is no less urgent. "Came Back Haunted," the album's first single was released at the beginning of the summer and is one of Nine Inch Nails best songs to date. The dark, throbbing, restless disco beat, the alarming synths and glorious heavenly chorus make this song a true NIN classic. The contemplative, solemn "Find My Way," is in the same style of "The Great Below" and "Something I Can Never Have," but unlike those songs is somewhat more hopeful and while melancholy, not hopeless. One of the album's true highlights is the funky "All Time Low," which encompasses an element of `70s soul and sees Reznor hitting an unusually high register at times. The pre-chorus sounds somewhat like the one from "March of the Pigs," but more is restrained. I absolutely love the spacey, new-age outro. The forlorn "Disappointed" is very basic and all of the sounds and effects really grab hold of you. The song's use of violin and the erhu (a stringed Chinese instrument that most people are unfamiliar with) is mesmerizing.

The next two songs were originally written for a proposed "Greatest Hits" album. "Everything" has had a mixed reaction from fans. It's easily the most overtly pop-sounding song that Reznor has written for Nine Inch Nails since the pre-"Pretty Hate Machine" tracks "Maybe Just Once" and "Purest Feeling." Some fans have noted that "Everything" sounds a bit like the Cure or New Order and that seems like a fair comparison. I personally love it and think that it could potentially be a cross-over hit. It wouldn't be hard to imagine hearing the danceable "Satellite" at a club. It sounds a little like "God Given" from "Year Zero." The best moment of "Satellite" is the grand finale, which slowly builds up and sounds akin to the very underrated "Sunspots" from "With Teeth" (2005) and "La Mer" from "The Fragile." The beautiful "Various Methods of Escape" is one of the most melodic songs that Reznor has ever written. The rather bizarre, avant-garde "Running" may not get a lot of airplay, but it's accessible and really cool.

The lush, mellisonant "I Would for You" (not a Jane's Addiction cover) is one of the strongest songs on "Hesitation Marks" and is (along with "All Time Low") a top-ten NIN song for me. It sounds somewhat like the excellent "In this Twilight" from "Year Zero." It's one of those songs that you may find yourself singing in the shower/office/car/bus/supermarket, etc. "In Two" is what "Head Down" may have sounded like if it had been on "Year Zero" instead of "The Slip." It's somewhat left-of-center with a vast array of sounds. Parts of the song have Reznor singing in a very high register (as he does in "All Time Low") and other parts of the song can only be described as "Cybermen rock." It's a great track that may take more than one listen for one to fully appreciate. "Hesitation Marks" winds down with the contemplative "While I'm Still Here," which, with its horns, sounds a little like the title track from "Purest Feeling." The song's theme of overcoming obstacles and making the most out of a finite life can be seen as a microcosm for the album overall. "Black Noise" begins as a continuation of "While I'm Still Here" and sees "Hesitation Marks" ends on a chaotic, yet satisfying note.

The deluxe edition comes with three bonus tracks; "Find My Way" (Oneohtrix Point Never Remix), "All Time Low" (Todd Rundgren Remix) and "While I'm Still Here" (Breyer P-Orridge 'Howler' Remix). If you've enjoyed NIN remixes in the past, you're likely to enjoy these too, but they aren't really essential.

Twenty, ten or even five years ago, it's hard to imagine that Trent Reznor would make an album as optimistic as "Hesitation Marks." It's great to see Reznor happy, in a good space and able to channel all of that positive energy into a new Nine Inch Nails album. Reznor doesn't have to be miserable to make a great NIN album, as "Hesitation Marks" proves.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stuck on Auto Pilot, September 17, 2013
G Jo (North Hollywood, CA United States) - See all my reviews

Seems pointless for Adrian Belew and Lindsey Buckingham to have "guest starred" since the guitars are melted deep into the mix and could seemingly have been performed by any number of skilled but faceless studio musicians.

Meh...

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, But Not Their Best, September 11, 2013
JKat (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Its funny how immediately after an established band that's been around for a while comes out with a new album all the fan-boys give reviews saying it's the greatest thing ever. I am a Nine Inch Nails fan too and have all their albums, so I'd thought I'd give my review which I hope is a little more fair.

It's an electronic based album with some guitar, bass, and other instrument overlays, similar to "Year Zero" but with better song writing and not as much experimentation. I'm fine with that since it's different than what you usually hear, except I have a hard time digesting the electronic drums. I just don't like the drum machine sound, especially when it consists of clap along beats which are prevalent throughout the album. Fortunately some of the songs also feature someone hitting the toms.

Getting past the drumming, the music's pretty cool although there isn't a lot of variety to it. It would be nice if they mixed it up a little like they did on their earlier releases with some fast rocking songs like "Wish", "March Of The Pigs", or "Survivalism", or with some slow songs like "Hurt".

After listening to it a hand full of times, my favorite songs are "Copy Of A", "Everything", "Came Back Haunted", "Satellite" and "All Time Low". The most controversial one is "Everything" which a lot of people have said is a pop song. I would say it's more of an 80s style New Wave song, which makes it the most unique song on the album. I don't see it as much more pop then previous songs they've done like "Only", "Down In It", "Sin", or even "Closer".

Overall, I think this album is better than their last few albums, but not as good as the ones before that. So I would recommend it if you are a big Nine Inch Nails fan or like electronic music. Otherwise I'd wait to hear some of the songs and/or listen to the samples before getting it.

5.0 out of 5 stars With patience, it becomes amazing., September 5, 2013
This review is from: Hesitation Marks [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
Have you ever recommended a movie to a friend, hoping they'd love it, but their reaction is negative. You feel as if they didn't pay enough attention, or didn't give it a chance, or for some reason were not emotionally connected to it like you were.

Music that makes you feel a lot of emotion is art and art is subjective. I get that not everyone will be on the same page. However, most of the potential buyers on this page are NIN fans. You know what to expect. If you're a NIN fan; lock yourself up in a room, put on headphones and play this album all the way through (loud). It's the only way to get past the barrier between liking it and undoubtedly loving it.

* I do have to say that there is one exception. If you absolutely write off everything Trent's done since "The Downward Spiral" and dislike the use of computer-generated sounds in music, then maybe you just like Industrial Metal, which is not what NIN is today.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hesitate For the Electro-Jazzy Jam Lullaby Party, October 1, 2013
This review is from: Hesitation Marks [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
I really wanted to be happy that Trent came back after the Wave Goodbye tour, but just like that sequel film that you look forward to but then find yourself wishing that they had left the original alone, this album does that in so many sad ways, and you wished that Trent wouldn't have marred his legacy with an adult contemporary electro-jazzy sound. Unfortunately, Trent has abandoned the style that created him, and not in a good way. I enjoyed someone's comment, in an earlier post, where they stated that this album has music without a story. I felt that it was simply a man and his electronic box (computer perhaps) mixing and claiming it to be something new, yet it is simply rehashed stuff. I worried when With Teeth came out because it sounded like Trent was drifting into the adult contemporary pop style. And boy is this album poppy and whimsical. In With Teeth at least he had "Beside you In Time" and "Right Where It Belongs," which are still edgy compositions that are clear masterpieces like "La Mer," "The Great Below," "The Mark has Been Made," "Complication," "Ripe (with decay)," and "Just Like You Imagined" all from the Fragile album, an album that I consider to be Trent's masterpiece. Yes, Downward Spiral and Pretty Hate Machine were also fabulous albums, and albums that defined NIN and the Industrial scene, but this album as many have mentioned, this album falls short and does not have the edge or rush that we have come to like and expect from Trent. If you thought that With Teeth was good, but it could have been better then I wouldn't bother with Hesitation Marks. I would have preferred if this album had been filled with music like Ghosts I-IV, but instead it is filled with low-key stuff that you would listen to on a road trip, relaxing, but I warn you that you may fall asleep. At least I can say that Reznor has not contributed anymore music that you can listen to while driving fast and angry anymore, for that grab Pretty Hate Machine, but if you want to picture what Trent plays for his boys to wind them down for the night get Hesitation Marks.

4.0 out of 5 stars No "Hesitation" necessary, January 24, 2014
The eighth full-length from Trent Reznor's Nine Inch Nails is far from being the group's most groundbreaking or accomplished effort, but it is a good album nonetheless. Granted, the level of crackly live energy present in "Hesitation Marks" is at an all-time low, but what the record lacks in that department, it more than doubly makes up for with stellar vocals, dance floor-approved (or at least highly infectious) rhythms, and an immaculate production job. And Trent's lyrics are, like always, very well-done and thought-provoking, too.

"Copy Of A...," an oddly catchy and positively danceable number with memorably melodic vocals complimenting shuffling synth/drum beats, is one early album standout; and its neighbor, "Came Back Haunted," which is another really hooky dance floor soundscape that, with its use of buzzing synths, grows increasingly noisy and cluttered-sounding, is another. Further highlights include "Find My Way," an extremely eerie, dark, and portentous ballad that recalls NIN's world-renowned 1994 hit "Hurt"; and the layers of pop-like harmonies (supplied by King Crimson guitarist/keyboardist Adrian Belew), uncharacteristically funky bass line, and creepily clean vocal hooks that pepper the mix in "All Time Low."

And the remainder of the songs on the album aren't half-bad, either. Second-half standouts are the surprisingly blistering and dissonant "Everything"; the climactic "Various Methods Of Escape"; the brooding grind and fantastic, accomplished clean singing of "Running"; "I Would For You," a very new-wavy-sounding piece with a soothing piano solo in its outro; "While I'm Still Here," which utilizes minimalist noise, and does so to excellent effect; and the boldly playful and vibrant saxophone blasts that crop up in the set-closing "Black Noise."

In sum, "Hesitation Marks" is proof of the fact that age has not mellowed Reznor in the least bit, and even married life (he married Mariqueen Maandig, and had two children with her) has not gotten to him. He is still highly capable of producing some of the best material of his long and storied career. Arriving right at the point, you should feel absolutely no, um, "Hesitation" when it comes to buying "H.M." It is a consistent, inventive, memorable, well-disciplined, and certainly extremely enjoyable affair, and one that is sure to placate all of Nine Inch Nails' huge fanbase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Hesitant, July 8, 2014
I've been a long time NIN fan, and enjoyed each album being radically different from the other. Even though you could say that NIN has a few running trends, each album was a breath of fresh air from the next, and they all reflected different time periods of growth for Trent Reznor. All of that disappeared on Hesitation Marks.

Hesitation Marks sounds like what someone who doesn't like NIN would expect NIN to sound like. All of the songs are similar 4-5 minutes of chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-finish. Slight variety between different weird noises isn't enough. Songs with some energy to them like Copy of a & Came Back Haunted sound very Hand That Feeds-esque, where Trent's relying on old tricks he did to bring life to his albums.

Just looking at the cover shows you how 'nostalgic' this album is for past NIN, trying to recreate the same magic of Downward Spiral, but here's the difference: Downward Spiral took CHANCES. Songs were radically different from each other, many of them had different time signatures and played with different ideas, Eraser or March of the Pigs come to mind. There were still those surrpises to be had, especially in Year Zero. Instead of doing the usual self-pity NIN took it to a paranoid desolate future where the anger was directed at the system, man. But my point is that it was different! Here all the songs sound stale and safe, as if they were all meant for radio play. The only song I see some major growth on was the closer While I'm Still Here, which added a ticking effect and throws in some brass instruments from the usual electric guitar/synth effects. Then as it started picking up the album ended. That's it? After all those years and involvement with film scoring you'd think Trent Reznor would take NIN to new and interesting places, but instead it's too reliant on nostalgic NIN and making singles than really showcasing his mental journey.

It's been around a year since this album came out, I've given it several chances, but it's the first NIN album I'd describe as BORING. The songs end up bleeding together and I can barely distinguish them from each other. The brazen originality that NIN was known for is missing here. Hopefully this is just a misstep and the next album is NOT a return to form.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ths Stages of NIN Acceptance..., July 3, 2014
Wing J. Flanagan (Orlando, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
My reactions to each of Nine Inch Nails' new releases have formed a pattern:

1. What the hell?

2. Not sure I like this...

3. Wait. It's stuck in my head for some reason.

4. Hey, that was really cool and unexpected! How did I miss that the first time?!

5. Actually, this is great!

Hesitation Marks is no exception. Every time I think I've gotten a grasp on Trent Reznor's and NIN's style, a new, wonderful aspect of it emerges. My favorite NIN album is still The Fragile, but Hesitation Marks certainly delivers the goods.

Well done!