Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on February 13, 2011
I am a big fan of Hexbug robots and I must say that the Crab is my favorite, one of the reasons for this is that the Crab have the most functions of the various Hexbug models. The robot will wall sideways like a crab, it responds to sounds like a clap and like with the original Hexbug robot it is possible to control the toy by clapping at it to make it walk the way you want it to go. Compared to the original this function works much better with the crab as it do not need for you to clap so hard as to hurt your hands and everyone else's ears to make it respond. new with this model is that if the Crab moved under something to block the light in the room, like if it moves under furniture or you hold a book over it then it will stop moving, a clap with get it going again.

This toy runs of batteries. Hexbug sells these batteries but I do not know if the robot can also take some sort of ordinary watch batteries, anyway it runs a long time on one change of batteries but exchanging them can be expensive. On the positive side unlike other Hexbug models this one have a battery lid which you just unscrew, you do not need to dismantle half the toy to get at the batteries.

Hexbug Crab is made of rather thin plastic and it have to be handled with care. I would not recommend it to very young children, also while another Hexbug robot, the Nano can be used as a cat toy, I would not recommend that with this one as I do not think the toy will stand up to the rough treatment a pet will give it.

The Hexbug Crab is a cute, relatively cheap robot toy, it is a great gift for a older kid or anyone collecting robots, and for the price it have quite impressive functions. I am very pleased with my Hexbug Crab and I might pick up another in a different color just to expand my collection, it was well worth the price for me at least.
33 comments49 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2011
We ordered the crab despite the negative reviews we saw here, most saying it was too slow. It's great! Slow only compared to the hyperactive ant, but they are all slower compared to the ant. As with other Hexbugs it needs to be handeled carefully, but I just want to say had I followed the reviews this time, we'd be missing out on a great toy.
0Comment38 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2011
Bought these for our nephews (7 & 9) for Christmas! I wanted to take them out of the box and play with them. They were smaller than what I thought they would be, about the size of a half dollar. BUT they still were super cool and the kids couldn't wait to play with them. I would say that these are a little delicate. SO I wouldn't purchase this for a child who is rough on their toys. My daughter (8) received one of these crabs for Christmas as well- so if your wondering, they were a good toy for an older boy AND girl.
0Comment21 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2011
I bought this hexbug crab for my son's Christmas gift, he opened it up and play for 20 mins. The leg pin is coming off, he put it back again, then play for another 5 mins, it came out again. So he have repeatly put the leg back after 5 mins playing, soon he lost the interest about this toy. I'm disappoint with the quality of it and I do hope it just this is the defect one. Because my son do love it alot so after return it. I'll consider to get another one for him. Overall, it's a interesting toy.
22 comments4 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2013
Moves fairly fast. Mine came in the same bluish color as the spider. Got it for the 9 year old grandson whose been playing with these for about 3 years now. My grandson did not initially recognize it as a crab (and he snorkels/goes to the large aquariums/ocean). Wish it had been a different color. Appreciate they come with batteries and ready to play with out of the package.
on December 20, 2010
This is a great little toy. I bought it for an 8 year old cousin for Christmas as he had a hermit crab that died.

This was smaller than I expected but it is actually 'crab' sized.

It also came with the batteries which I am thankful for as most toys I bought this Christmas season didn't...

The reason I gave it 4 stars and not 5 is because I am not sure how long he will play with it as it seems all it does it react to light/sound. Not saying this is a bad thing, just saying it might not last as long play wise as other toys may. It also feels delicate as any robotic type toys probably are but for an 8 year old, I'm just hoping it will last.

Overall, I say this is a cool toy that a little boy or girl would like!

Edit:
He loved it, thought it was cool!
on November 30, 2011
Very nice product. Recieved in great condition. The only disapointment is we would have liked the option to choose what color we wanted. Since there was five different colors available.
on February 27, 2013
Doesn't work too good on carpet, but works fine on hard floors. Its pretty cool watching it skitter around, and react to light / noise. Can't wait til these things get smarter
on February 2, 2014
If you have any women in your house, good luck not getting a ton of hair in this thing on a daily basis. I have a roomba, sweep and mop regularly, but if there is one piece of hair on the floor this thing will find it and wrap it up in it's gears, causing it not to work anymore. Totally dissapointed.
on December 18, 2011
I ordered two hexbugs in a particular color but the ones I got were black. I kept them anyway and bought two more at a near by store in a color. The product is fine. They were gifts for my grandsons. They liked them.