5.0 out of 5 stars HA! Rules & So Does This DVD!!
1. How many episodes are there, in total?
20! 460 minutes long, in total; 114-115 mins long for each DVD.

2. How many episodes are there, per DVD?
They count each half-episode as an entire episode. But, if you're counting the whole half hour (or 22-minutes, more-like)... each of them have 5 episodes. Disk one has 5 eps, Disk two has 5 eps, etc...
Published on August 26, 2008 by Gena

2.0 out of 5 stars Good DVD, but horrible quality.
You have no idea how excited I was to get this DVD. I watched it and within the first half hour I noticed something. The DVD SKIPS! Now I only figured this out but I can't be wrong when I noticed when Doug season 1 and Hey Arnold season 1 both have this problem. During flashes of light(lightning) the DVD will skip for a second or too.

Least to say I was...
Published on September 20, 2008 by Marc Cuenca

5.0 out of 5 stars HA! Rules & So Does This DVD!!, August 26, 2008
1. How many episodes are there, in total?
20! 460 minutes long, in total; 114-115 mins long for each DVD.

2. How many episodes are there, per DVD?

3. Are there any extras?
Nope, lol. ^^; (But maybe if we ask nicely, Nick will put them in future volumes, or include a whole bunch of them on a separate DVD.)

4. Are the episodes in production order?
No, I believe they are in the order that they aired (in the U.S.)... See below for the order...

5. What episodes are included?
DISK 1:
Downtown as Fruits, Eugene's Bike, The Little Pink Book, Field Trip, Arnold's Hat, Stoop Kid, Helga's Makeover, The Old Building, 6th Grade Girls, The Baseball.
DISK 2: Heat, Snow, Operation Ruthless, The Vacant Lot, The List, Haunted Train, Mugged, Roughin' It, Door #16, Arnold as Cupid.
DISK 3: Arnold's Christmas, Beachwarmer, Cool Jerk, Das Subway, Wheezin' Ed, Tutoring Torvald, Gerald Comes Over, Spelling Bee, Pigeon Man.
DISK 4: Olga Comes Home, Sally's Comet, Abner Come Home, The Sewer King, False Alarm, World Records, Magic Show, 24 hours to live, Arnold's Valentine.

6. What did it play on?
It plays on my Playstation 2 (but it seems to skip during the lightning parts/scenes-- if that's your only DVD player, you might not want to get it, unless you just don't mind the skippage/slippage XD).
It works perfectly fine in my other DVD players tho: An HP Pavilion dv9700 Laptop/Notebook PC (which is a DVD+RW and runs on Windows Vista), my desktop downstairs (which is a Dell 9100, CD/DVD-R and runs on Windows XP)... and our normal DVD player, which is a Toshiba DVD Video play/Video Cassete Recorder SD-V280 ^__^;; That's all I had to test it on, lol, but it worked on ALL of them!!! So, success! :DDD
OH! The only thing that it didn't work on is the bottom DVD+-RW drive on my desktop PC... (I have two DVD drives on the desktop-- the one on the top works) but I think the bottom one is just for burning, not for *playing* DVDs. :P (This is to the best of my knowledge.)

----

Additional comments: WOW, what a crystal-clear picture!! On the computer, it let me take screen shots easily. To my eye, it looks better on T.V. than on the monitor, but maybe it's just my monitor...? Sound quality is good. It doesn't mention anything on the DVD if it's Dolby Surround Sound or anything, but I don't know if it needs to. No captioning available. It shows the opening theme/sequence at the beginning of the DVD (like, before "Downtown as Fruits" on Disk 1, for example, and once after all of the episodes are finished (like, after "The Baseball" on Disk 1).

Let me just say that "Hey Arnold!" in general deserves a 5/5 (in fact, it deserves an 11,000,000/5, but that's probably impossible, lol)

If you are worried just about the episode quality, you shouldn't be, as this definitely has great quality, Dolby Surround Sound or not (I don't know how to test that without actually having speakers that work for it). Just don't expect any extras, lol.

To Nickelodeon: If you're listening/looking at this, please give the fans some DVD Extras in the upcoming disks, or all of them on one, big disk.

To the Current Fans: If you guys REALLY want The Jungle Movie, I urge you to buy the HELL out of these DVDs (and/or at iTunes, if you prefer). Never Say Never!!! Just as long as we stay as optimistic as our favorite Football-Shaped Head :DD lols
All in all, I definitely believe it is worth the money, and I'd buy it again if I had the chance. Instead, I'll just wait for my Pre-order of Season 2 to come. :)) :D

To the Un-awakened, "Old Fans": If you haven't watched "Hey Arnold!" in a very long time (or not at all...), this'd be a good set to get addicted to, LOL. Hey Arnold! has some of the best humor, entertainment and wit that I've ever seen in ages. Some kinds of humor in other shows can get old, but Hey Arnold! is as entertaining watching it the 100th time or just the 1st time. I remember seeing this cartoon when I was younger (I was 9 when it first came out), but I didn't appreciate the humor and the writing enough until last year. I am 23 years old now! lol! If you haven't seen it recently, you don't know what you're missing!! :D

Just a warning... you might get as obsessed about HA! as Helga is to Arnold, himself! LOL!!!
Yes, it's that good! T_T!!! <3<3<3 XDD

Thank you so much, Nickelodeon! I look forward to the future volumes. Please consider finishing "The Jungle Movie" (and "The Pataki's"? haha '), and accepting Craig Bartlett as a part of your team again. We would love to see you guys working together again. It's not just me.

Let me know if you guys have any extra questions.
Thanks for reading. ^_~

-Rejena

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon exclusive, August 24, 2008
This is an Amazon exclusive and won't be sold in stores. Amazon worked out a deal with nickelodeon to "Burn on demand" meaning upon receiving an order that Amazon will create the dvd and insert then ship it to the buyer...

I've been waiting a long time for hey Arnold episodes on dvd, so heres another reason to luv Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great classic Nicktoon from Shout Factory, August 10, 2011
This review is from: Hey Arnold!: Season 1 (DVD)
Hey Arnold is a Nickelodeon cartoon series that originally ran for five seasons from 1996 to 2004. This DVD box set from Shout Factory contains the first 20 episodes of the series.

The series was created by Craig Bartlett and depicts the life of title character Arnold and his interactions with his quirky classmates and bizarre neighbors in the large nameless city in which they all live. It is well known for skillfully mixing comedy with some dramatic moments as well as for devoting at least an episode or two to even the most minor of characters throughout its run. It also has a fantastic jazzy soundtrack. The animation improved greatly over the 5 seasons of the series, and the first season is notably rougher than later seasons, but it is by no means bad, simply a product of its time.

This DVD is the general retail release of Season 1. This season was previously released as an Amazon exclusive Media on Demand (MOD) set burned to order and available for a relatively high price. The retail set has a much more professional feel to it, it comes packaged in a clear case with some nice art on the inside, as opposed to the standard issue black case that the previous release used. Additionally, the previous release had silent menus while this new set has the show's theme song playing in the background. The old set also had some compatibility issues related to the nature of the product; being burned on demand onto DVD-R discs led to complaints about the discs not being playable on certain players. While I personally never experienced that issue with any of the MOD sets, this new set should be free of those problems regardless.

This release contains NO extras whatsoever. Personally, this doesn't bother me as I usually use DVD extras once, at most. I understand that some people fully expect all DVDs to have extras, but for me, it just isn't that big of a problem. The episodes are here, and in the end that's what the fans have been waiting for. Overall, this is a quality release of the complete first season and overlooking the lack of anything but the episodes themselves fans should be happy to finally see this series come to DVD.

This is the fourth Nickelodeon release from Shout Factory, following the first seasons of The Wild Thornberrys, Rocko's Modern Life, and Hey Dude. Several more are planned for the rest of the year, including The Angry Beavers Seasons 1 & 2, Danny Phantom Season 1, Aaahh!! Real Monsters Season 1, Catdog Season 1 Part 1 and The Wild Thornberrys Season 2 Part 1. So far I feel like Shout Factory is doing a great job with these sets and I hope their partnership with Nickelodeon can continue for years to come.

Note: All five seasons of Hey Arnold were at one time available from Amazon. Those seasons are the older MOD releases, and seasons 2-5 have NOT been announced or released by Shout Factory. As of July 16, 2011 the older MOD releases have been discontinued, however they may still be available through third party sellers.

Additional Note: Many of the reviews on this page refer to the old MOD release of season 1. The episodes on this release are the same, however the reviews of the quality of the product itself seen here do not reflect this retail release. I have written to Amazon requesting they remove the old reviews; they have not yet done so.

5.0 out of 5 stars All 20 Episodes from Season 1, November 18, 2011
This review is from: Hey Arnold!: Season 1 (DVD)
As described in the description, this DVD contains ALL 20 episodes. It inculdes:

1 Downtown as Fruits / Eugene's Bike
17 False Alarm / World Records
18 Magic Show / 24 Hours to Live
19 Part-Time Friends / Runaway Float
20 Arnold's Christmas

It's the same thing like the Amazon DVD. Season 2 will come out in 2012 while Seasons 3-5 are expected to be announced in future years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing the 90's, July 20, 2010
I'm so glad Amazon has this series available.
It was great quality and fast shipping :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Blue Ray, March 13, 2009
The picture quality was fantastic and it brought back so many memories but it will not play in a standard Blue Ray player. Did anyone else have this problem?

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, February 27, 2009
R. Berry "Teknowhore" (Seaside, California United States) - See all my reviews
** This review is for Hey Arnold Season 2 as well**

I've been waiting 10+ years for the day they would release Hey Arnold on dvd and now I finally have it. I've seen complaints from users saying that the dvd's didn't play or skip. I have NOT had any problems at all, they play perfectly with no skips or anything. I have a fairly new (2 years old) but not the best dvd player, its the Samsung dvd/vcr combo. The dvd's had some dust and marks on them from the manufacturing but that's it. There aren't any special features but I really don't care about that. The menus are plain yet very easy to navigate, only play all and episode selection. The quality is amazing, tv quality, 10/10, sound is amazing. Everything is PERFECT! Thank you Amazon and Nickelodeon for releasing these dvd's. I just wish the price was lower. $60+ for 2 seasons is quite steep but it was worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and for the UK too!, February 14, 2009
So as other people have expressed its fab that they released Hey Arnold for amazon to sell--- I wanted to give my penny's worth because I ordered it from the UK and wanted to confirm that it does work. I contacted Amazon for help--- they were incredibly helpful, Hey Arnold season 1 arrived a few weeks later and it works on my laptop (which actually rejects many of my UK dvds!) So all in all-- a great series, fantastic service from Amazon--- very happy customer ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey Arnold! ROCKS!!!!, October 24, 2008
I bought his DVD for my husband and kids. They love it. When my kids were little they used to watch Hey Arnold all the time. We have already ordered and received Season 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Satisfied, October 15, 2008
I have been waiting so long for this cartoon to be available on DVD. Looking forward to season 3 & 4, between the two of them I know one of the seasons has the episode of Arnold's Play (Romeo and Juliet, Helga finally kisses Arnold). If you have any doubts about ordering Hey Arnold let me relieve you of that. Each episode and the sound is crisp and clear. You will be as pleased as I am.

The only fault I can find with the DVD is that the introduction to Hey Arnold only plays once at the beginning of each disc, instead of at the beginning of each 30 minute segment.

Hey Amazon, any way you can talk to Nickelodeon about putting together the "As Told By Ginger series?"

Hey Arnold!: Season 1
Hey Arnold!: Season 1 by Francesca Smith (DVD - 2011)
$29.93 $20.34