Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Halo 3: ODST - Xbox 360 forum

Hey Bungie, try not screwing up this time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 30, 2009 5:21:10 PM PDT
scott says:
Hey Bungie, trying not screwing this up like you did Halo 3 campaign mode single player. It was as if you put all your effort into the online game play. The single player was disappointing compared to Halo 2. A real let down.

Posted on Jul 1, 2009 5:24:04 AM PDT
Tyler Rader says:
I agree. The campaign was too short. Even on legendary mode the game can be beaten in a matter of like 6 hours. 4 hours if you're playing with friends. That and yet again I was disappointed at how short your time on Earth is spent. or the fact that you never get to fight the Gravemind. From the gameplay trailer available on Xbox Live, Halo 3: ODST looks very promising. But so did Halo 3. Everyone knows how trailers are. They show you the good stuff but exclude all the tedious work you have to do to get to the awesome stuff. But it's Bungie. They'll make games how they want. Without hearing the publics opinion. Maybe they should try that. Just about every gamer has played every Halo game, read every novel, etc. Ask the common gamer what they want in the next Halo game. Don't you agree?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2009 4:30:48 PM PDT
scott says:
Tyler Rader speaks the Gospel.

Posted on Jul 2, 2009 7:24:07 AM PDT
Trent Steele says:
I don't think they screwed up Halo 3. It may have been a bit short. I too would have liked more time to fight some battles on earth. It would have been easy for them to extend the story there. But other than that, I thought it was a fun experience. I mean, the whole battle with 2 Scarabs was fantastic. And 4-player co-op is excellent.

Besides that, the game has been at the number 1, 2 or 3 spots on xbox live since it released a year or so ago. So, it's hard to say Bungie screwed up. That's a pretty successful game right there.

And what about all the other things you get with Halo 3? The Forge. Online stats tracking and all that. It's a solid game. No game has released since that has given such a complete package. I have high hopes for ODST -- especially Firefight mode.

Posted on Jul 2, 2009 12:34:00 PM PDT
Nobody says:
so is the campaign seriously going to be entirely in one map, new mombassa?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2009 7:00:03 PM PDT
scott says:
Like I said, "It was as if you put all your effort into the online game play."

Posted on Jul 4, 2009 6:07:02 PM PDT
Alan W. says:
Yes, Halo 3 Campaign was a total flop, though it was much better than Halo 2's Campaign. I hope Halo 3 ODST will have a lengthy campaign. I'm only going to buy it if it's around $30.

Posted on Aug 3, 2009 4:13:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2009 9:56:43 PM PDT
J. Demick says:
Bungie didn't screw up on Halo 3. There may not be many levels, but they are long! Bungie never did screw up with any Halo at all!

Posted on Aug 5, 2009 11:52:10 AM PDT
Halo 3 wasnt really a disappointment. yes most of the time spent on the game was with multiplayer and yes the story was a bit short... and well, flat to say the least. but there is a fourth one coming. supposedly, and let me repeat supposedly, the chief is not the last spartan and the planet you see in the legendary ending the cairo(?) was floating toward is supposed to have both cortanas creator as well as 2 or 3 spartans protecting her. this is all some stuff you can find around online. i doubt odst will be a flop but then again its halo. whether its a flop or not it will still be bought. as for the story with odst you will probably be following in the chiefs foot steps for those worried about the game taking place in only new mombossa. but then again this is only what ive heard.

Posted on Aug 10, 2009 5:22:20 PM PDT
Things that bug me about Halo3 (story):
Why do the Prophets blindly follow the Forerunners legacy? How did they find out about the technology? Who were the Forerunners? Were they human or some other alien being? Who was going to be saved after the Halo rings were activated? Halo3 contained an Ark (reference to Noah's Ark? perhaps where those who were not going to be annihilated by the Halo rings would be safely stationed?)

Things that bothered me about the Halo3 campaign:
No lobbies for multiplayer campaign. As far as I know, you must invite people to play with.

Otherwise it was very clean. Not too long, not too short, and still plenty to do after the first run.

Risking no one reading this because of length, I'm going to call out liar on the "6 hours to complete legendary single player" because anyone that has actually done this without friends know that the Jackal snipers can be a real bitch, and sometimes have to be sniped with nothing but a battle rifle, or worse, assault rifle. That, and one hit death from the snipers is not good and very frusturating.

If you memorize enemy locations then MAYBE you can do it in a full day or day and a half of gaming, but I highly doubt you will finish legendary in one day on your first try.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2009 5:34:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2009 5:42:06 PM PDT
scott says:
May have to read the books to get the trivia. I think I beat Halo 3 POS in 6 hours in normal mode. 6 on legendary is pushing it. I beat Halo 2, 20 times in Legendary mode so I was used to the game by the time Halo 3 came out. Read my view on the POS.
http://www.amazon.com/review/R36VZUPMP1YG4W/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
For what it is worth, ODST looks like it is what I expected Halo 3 to be. I don't care for the red display when you get hit though. I'd like to be able to turn that off.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2009 2:14:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2009 2:16:46 PM PDT
@Tyler Rader I'm sorry, are you criticizing Bungie, when you obviously know nothing of them? Bungie is one of the very few delevopers that actually look for and use community feedback. They have one of the best communities because of this. If players want something added, its normally taken into account, if something didn't work in a previous game, they take it out.

I don't know who you think Bungie is, but they make the games for the fans, and not just "how they want it."

So in short, don't try acting like you know something about a company when you obviously don't.

Posted on Aug 20, 2009 12:27:54 PM PDT
I agree that the campaign was lackluster, however, I think Bungie rightly put a greater emphasis on the multiplayer aspect of the game. Like most Halo 3 owners, a significant amount of my Halo 3 experience has been in matchmaking or custom games. I've probably played about 15 hours of campaign and have played over 2500 multiplayer matches, which is around 500 hours or so. That means that for every hour that I played campaign, I've logged about 33 hours in multiplayer. Bungie knows the Halo MP aspect of the game is what keeps it one of the most (if not the most) popular game franchises ever. If you were a game developer, where would you want to focus most of your effort? On the 15 hours of campaign, or the hundreds of of hours of MP? Seems like an easy choice.

As for the multiplayer, they made significant improvements from the Halo 2 multiplayer. There are virtually no glitches in Halo 3 compared to its predecessor (yes, there's the ball and flag glitches, a few tricks when exiting vehicles next to walls, etc., but there's no RRX, BXR, BXB, or sword flying like in the early H2 days, etc.). The hit boxes are much smaller, it's much more difficult to snipe, there's the theater which was a phenominal addition to the game, the multiplayer maps are customizable (to a degree), the weapons are more balanced, etc.

Personally, I'm very happy with Bungie, with Halo, and have high expectations for both ODST and Halo Reach.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2009 12:53:26 PM PDT
Sean Kelley says:
Yes. Originally, the game was going to be cheaper.... $30-40 because it is apparently "short". But MS wanted to charge more, so they added the Halo 3 Multiplayer with all the maps on a second disc to justify the $60.00.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2009 4:38:09 PM PDT
M. Wolnik says:
The campaign for ODST is going to be even shorter then that of Halo 3. Bungie had already admitted that. The main focus of the game WAS multiplayer and taking a break from master chief and adding a new hero into the Halo franchise. I believe Halo ODST is going to be another Call Of Duty 4 just in the Halo Universe. (Of course thats just my opinion and i will probably get a lot of critisism by it, but whatever). Honestly i think its going to be an awesome game but sadly its going to have a sort campaign. But an AWESOME multiplayer

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2009 12:32:20 PM PDT
It is said to be shorter, but not exceptionally shorter. Plus with the Open world environment, there is incentive to take your time and explore, adding even more replay value and the like.

I don't know where the hell you got the idea that ODST's main focus was multiplayer, because it never was, it was always the ODST's that were the main focus. The only way I see it being like Call of Duty 4 is the shorter development time (18 months) other than that, its still Halo. Sure there's some tweaks, but that's the point. To make a more fresh Halo game.

Look for the campaign to be about an hour shorter than Halo 3 due to its development time, but look for it to have just as much, if not more replay value as Halo 3. What with 4 player Co-op still in tact, expanded graphics from the Halo 3 engine, and a new face in the Halo Universe, not to mention the great voice talents of Nathan Fillion Adam Baldwin and Alan Tudyk all of Firefly fame.

The multiplayer aspect, is just that of Halo 3's. It comes on the second disc (Titled Halo 3: Mythic.) Firefight on the other hand, is NOT multiplayer, it is a new co-op mode, think horde mode from gears of war or Survival mode from Left 4 Dead.

So sorry dude, but you really got it backwards this time, its multiplayer taking the backseat and Campaign taking shotgun. This game came to being in the first place because the Halo Community said they wanted more from the Halo Universe, wanted more time spent on Earth and were upset that Halo 3's campaign was on the short side.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2009 10:12:32 AM PDT
Eric Brooks says:
Well multiplayer can be considered something you play with mulitple people. CO-OP is a form of mulitplayer. So I think it is you who have it wrong. CO-OP is mulitplayer but instead of fighting against these other players you are fighting with these other players. Multiplayer has many forms and I would agree that the focus wasn't on multiplayer but it was to give us a new take on Halo (new single player AND new multiplayer). Of course the mulitplayer modes will get the most time from most players but I would say the point of the game was to expand on the halo 3 game by adding new elements. Wouldn't say one is more important then the other.

Posted on Aug 23, 2009 2:29:35 PM PDT
I bet you people would complain that counter strike didnt have a campaign. halo is a first person shooter, and so bungie makes the game for the gamer who plays every day, hence the online gamer. if you want to play with your friends, play social, if you want to play alone, get ranked. i dont know about you people but im spending less time worrying about the campaign and more time getting headshots.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Jun 30, 2009
Latest post:  Aug 23, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Halo 3: ODST - Xbox 360
Halo 3: ODST - Xbox 360 by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
3.9 out of 5 stars (759)