‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Season 1 on DVD: Finally!!, April 12, 2011
This review is from: Hey Dude - Season 1 (DVD)
Nickelodeon has finally gotten off their butts and licensed some of their shows to Shout Factory for DVD releases. I have the entire series taken from old VHS tapes so it will be nice to get the episodes in crystal clear DVD quality and for a great price as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big on nostalgia and fun, July 10, 2011
DVD Verdict (Santa Monica, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hey Dude - Season 1 (DVD)
Judge Dawn Hunt, DVD Verdict--From a time when a character still had to sheepishly confess his parents were divorced, this is a little gem of a series. While there are definite elements of slapstick, most of the time the cast manages to hold on to the edge just enough to keep from tipping over into outright silliness. As with many sitcoms, a number of the plots revolve around lying, specifically a little lie which snowballs until the characters are forced to tell the truth and then hugs are doled out.

One of the things that really struck me was how the teenagers all interacted with Buddy. I was really surprised they were so patient with him, going out of their way to make sure he was listened to and included. I understand that's how it was written but it's a dynamic that's rarely present nowadays. Any show that has teenagers and middle-schoolers together more often than not has tension between those characters. Usually it's the younger kids wanting attention and the older kids not wanting to be anywhere near the brats.

Another thing which stood out was the careful editing. It's like a neon sign now but back then I didn't know Brad wasn't riding that galloping horse, or Ted wasn't really in danger of being kicked by a stallion. It is very much a product of its time and I like that about it. I enjoy watching for those moments and seeing how they were made to convince an untrained eye what was occurring on screen.

This series has found its way into a lot of people's hearts, and I believe one of the reasons for that is more than half of the cast never went on to do anything else. Thus, there is no getting a fix for any of the actors. They're trapped in celluloid forever for fans here but nowhere else.

The only extra is an interview with series star Christine Taylor (17 min.) She goes into great detail about her experience filming the series, which was 65 episodes over two years. She was only 17 when she got the job so it was interesting to hear her perspective on how she perceived the process. Back then she was equally concerned with whether or not she was going to get to go to prom and graduate at home in Pennsylvania. A lot of what she learned about acting from the show she still carries with her. One of the most amusing elements of her interview is hearing her describe meeting Paris Hilton.
Full review at dvdverdict.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, April 14, 2011
This review is from: Hey Dude - Season 1 (DVD)
Finally! This show was one of, if not the best original series created by Nickelodeon. I can't wait for this release! Let's just hope they release the rest of the series as well. It would also be great to have some bonus material too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dvd set!!!, April 27, 2011
This review is from: Hey Dude - Season 1 (DVD)
wrote on July 29th 2011. I received my HeyDude dvd set the other day, i can't believe how crisp and clear the picture quality is, i'm blown away by it,the colors are so vibrant, of course it helps alot when you have an hdmi cable, but even without it its incredible,they did an outstanding job remastering it, the sound is great too, i was a huge fan of this show growing up as a teenager, its so great to see it again, brings back alot of memories,the interview with Christine Taylor was very good, she talks about her experiences with the show and how it was made, i remember having a big crush on her back then, thank you so much Shout Factory for finally making this show available on dvd,hopefully this will sell alot and season 2 will be available soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hyperventales., July 8, 2011
This review is from: Hey Dude - Season 1 (DVD)
I know I should probably wait for me to get my hands on this long awaited DVD but I just can't wait. Thank you! Thank you whoever that is bringing this great TV show on DVD. I've been waiting for a long time for this to come out and will be buying this in a few days. I'll be sure to give it a better review when that time comes but still cannot contain my enthusiasm knowing that I get to watch one of my favorite childhood shows. (now if only Salute Your Shorts came to DVD *hint hint)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's about time!, June 10, 2011
This review is from: Hey Dude - Season 1 (DVD)
One of my all time Nick shows Finally on DVD! Hopefully we'll see some "Salute Your Shorts" and "You Can't do that on television" action next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saddle up for another gift from Shout Factory, July 21, 2011
This review is from: Hey Dude - Season 1 (DVD)
First of all thank you Shout Factory. You guys are great. First you release Designing Women and make me very happy. Yeah Im a guy but I don't care I love those chicks. Then you make all my dreams come true by releasing the remainder of Dragnet. Yay!!! And now Hey Dude. I loved this show when I was a kid. I was six when it came on and the only thing I ever watched on Nickelodeon was Nick at Nite so this show was perfect for me. Mr Ernst was my favorite character. Why? I guess I'm not sure. I remember hating Brad and thinking she was very unatttactive. Boy was I wrong. Kelly Brown (Brad) is smoking hot. So after watching one episode and not really liking it like I used to she kept me watching and I rediscovered after 22 years just how good this show was. Can't wait for future seasons to be released. Again thank you Shout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Nickelodeon!!, July 4, 2011
This review is from: Hey Dude - Season 1 (DVD)
OMG!! I am exstatic that Hey Dude is finally being released on DVD! Thank you Nickelodeon for finally releasing some of the greatest shows ever! I hope you don't stop at Season 1. You did that with Clarissa Explains it All, & The Adventures of Pete & Pete. So not cool! Fans of these shows would like to own the whole series & not bits & pieces. I understand about the money & sales, but what about the fans? I hope you will also release Salute your Shorts, Wild & Crazy Kids & Roundhouse! PLEASE!! Thanks again for releasing Hey Dude! The 90's RULE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Please don't stop at Season 1, June 28, 2011
Jeri (Chicagoland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hey Dude - Season 1 (DVD)
I bought Season 1 downloads at iTunes years ago -- and then the rest of it never came out! Let's not be seeing that, I hope. I'd like to have these DVD sets. Thanks for getting on that finally. It's only been...22 years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey Dude - Season 1, June 11, 2012
This review is from: Hey Dude - Season 1 (DVD)
All 13 Episodes from the first season. This season aired from July 14, 1989-October 6, 1989

Episodes Included:
12. Employee of the Week
13. Pain in the Neck

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Hey Dude - Season 1
Hey Dude - Season 1 by David Brisbin (DVD - 2011)
$19.93 $12.00