Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hey! Wake Up! (Boynton on Board)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Board book|Change

Sandra Boynton has always been one of our favorites. The books are always a hit and this one is no different. She's covered going to bed now it's time to "hey! Wake up!" in this latest, 24 page board book. The book features Sandra's signature silly rhyming style accompanied by her wonderfully wacky cartooning style with bright, colorful artwork.

Her Typically silly animals awake to start a new day with a lion, Bear, Elephant and hippo in one bed and pig, cat and rabbit in another. Then its off eat breakfast, get dressed, and head outside to play. When the little Rabbit has a hard time playing basketball, he gets a big boost from the bear as the book teaches kids about helping each other out and just generally being nice. Yet another winner from Sandra!
on June 8, 2001
Fun to look at, fun to chew. Not boring for Dad to read aloud even after the 140th time.
on March 25, 2002
As a teacher I use this book in morning circle time with a class of mostly non-verbal autistic preschool students, and it's hands-down the class favorite. The language of the book is so basic that we include a lot of introductory signs ("eat", "juice", "open") along with the movements, and basically move for the whole book. One of my students in particular has really had a breakthrough with this book - he makes us act it out all day! It's the first thing he's really learned to imitate, and about the first positive "fixation" he's had in class. It's wonderful.
And we love "broccoli stew - ew", too. Even my completely non-verbal, non-signing kids make an effort to get an "ew" out.
Just don't do what I did, and point out later in the day that a kid has beef stew for lunch! I tried that, got a worried look and an "ew" from a little girl, and had to spend the better part of a week convincing her to touch any part of her lunch again... oops. ("It's not broccoli!" Didn't matter to her.)
We want more Sandra Boynton!!! (By the way, my class also loves "But Not the Hippopotamus" and "Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaur".)
on April 13, 2014
I like the flow of these books, the colorful pictures and fun rhymes. The problem I have with this book is the rhymes state an elephant is too big for the swings and should go do "big guy things" and a rabbit is too small to play basketball unless he plays with someone tall; I don't think this is a good message to send to young kids that you can be too big or too small to do some activities you enjoy. My 3-year-old now sometimes says that someone or something is too small to play basketball when he sees people playing the game and I don't want him thinking because someone may be short they can't do something.
on June 6, 2000
I love the concept of this book: there are so many bed time books but this is the first wake up book I have seen. I read it to my children every morning when they wake up. It's great because now we have a morning routine that includes reading as well. It is a little long for them now, but they will grow into it soon.
The pictures are great and the text is very funny as well.
on September 4, 2015
One of my child's very first books and we still have it and still read it to reminisce about when he was a baby and very small and we would talk about the things you do when you wake up! Love it! All little ones should have this AND the other Boynton books, "Going to Bed" and "Oh Me Oh My Oh Dinosaurs" . All were favorites of my little boy and they are very sturdy hard books that can take a lot of abuse on car trips, outdoors, fun to take along anywhere!
on February 16, 2001
I have been reading this book to my 24month old for 2 weeks. We are now woken by the first line every morning "Hey big guys open your eyes". The rthymed text makes it fun to read and the concept of big and small are included without any obvious educational slant. Even my husband does not mind joining in. It make a change to the normal nursery songs. I would highly recommend this book.
on November 6, 2002
I give this one a 4 only because it hasn't really caught on at our house like the earlier books (One Two Three!, Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs, Horns to Toes, The Going to Bed Book, etc.). It still has the fun rhymes and Boynton humor and I think it's a cute book, maybe it just has too many words for my under 4 crowd.
on February 27, 2015
I love Sandra Boynton and this book is very cute - like all of her books!
It talks about the whole morning routine of the characters as if they were preschoolers. Getting up, getting dressed, having breakfast, going out to play and coming in for a snack; like all of her books there's the "funny" factor.
My son reads it over and over!
on September 1, 2011
I have a 2-year-old son and we LOVE Sandra Boynton! Even though Hey, Wake Up! is a "morning" book, he asks for it at bedtime most nights. We actually have been reading the same 3 Sandra Boynton books at bedtime most nights for about a year and he never gets tired of them! My son has the book memorized and as he has gotten older I have started letting him finish sentences on each page since I haven't been able to get him to "read" the book to me himself yet. He likes to pretend to eat the food on the pages and say "Yum!" even to the broccoli stew, although in the book it says "Ew!" to the broccoli stew. I saw another reviewer complain about how it encourages kids to eat cookies for breakfast instead of broccoli, but in fact it does not have cookies for breakfast - that is for morning snack. For breakfast they have juice, cereal, buttered toast, and broccoli stew (for the rabbit). Even though the book says "Ew!" to the broccoli stew my son always says "Yum!" when he pretends to eat it and he gets mad at me if I saw "Ew!" As with all of Boynton's books, the book has a good sing-song type of rhythm which keeps younger kids attentive. The first books I was able to get my son to actually pay attention to the whole book were Boynton's books and he still loves them!